Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blair
What I REALLY want, is ceramic blade...not for the beat-the metal-detector issue, but that ceramic blades stay sharp forever...and that is what everyone needs in a knife.
I have a Boker and I'm not that impressed by it. It's not that sharp. I can get steel blades breathtakingly sharp and they blow away the boker. Also, I've heard you can chip the blade easily if you're cutting cardboard and hit a staple.

If I am wearing Carharts or jeans its a sure bet I have my gerber on me. I am still trying to figure out how to have it on me when wearing a skirt.... LOL
You need a knife with a clip on it. I've been known to clip mine to my underwear when walking around like that. I get funny looks from people at work though, they must not be used to seeing a knife...
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy cow...this thread had my first post at YT!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phalanx
I mainly use the knives for opening boxes and for prying stuff. I've honestly used a Surefire more often than a knife for preventative self defence; lighting up sketchy people walking up to me on a dark street.
agreed thats why u need this

surefire e2e with impact device
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's got teeth!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I need a small knife at work to cut plastic away from pallet boards to take paper up to the offices.
The guy who normally does this is in the Philippines for 3 weeks, and I do not mind, the offices are filled with babes

I do not like to carry a big knife that requires a sheath, so I found a nice small Buckerooni on REIs site the other day.
Do not laugh at its puny size, the Buck Metro

$12 there, and $21 on Bucks site.
Very small, and it will do the job just fine.
It just came today, and it cool.
It also comes in another version with a built in LED light.
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/431/236
A whole bunch here.
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/236

I will look into getting a bigger buck too, and I like the Lumina LED for $55.

They have some nice tactical knives too.
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/233
The SBMFs are kind of cool looking.

This little puny thing I got today you can flip the blade open with your thumb that goes into a small hole, it does not use the stud method like some of the bigger knives have.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Can I still get in on this thread?

I LOVE knives. I have dozens of them. I have carried all kinds of knives over the years as my needs have changed. From my first pocket knife, a 1 1/2" single blade my Dad got me at Yellowstone, when I was just a kid, to the Spyderco's and, ahem, "more advanced" knives of my adult years.

In the past couple of years, I have rediscovered "ColdSteel" knives. I have several of them, from a "Bolo Machete", to my camp spear, to my boot knife.

For my daily carry pocket knives, I have the following;

Those are from the Cold Steel "Voyager" Series.

The 3" is my weekday, have to be in the office, pocket knife. It's big enough to get the job done, but small enough to not panic the geeks when I open a box with it.

The 4" is my weekend pocket knife. It sees general use around home and on my person any time I am not heading into the office.

The 5" is my wheeling/woods pocket knife. It's plenty of knife for making a sandwich or cutting down small saplings.

All are shaving sharp most times...

In addition, I generally have several fixed blades within reach at any given time, depending upon the need...

The State of Washington has no blade length restrictions. However, the City of Seattle has a max 3.5" law, so many municipalities decide to follow that. In general, if you are carrying anything 4" or under outside of the city, you can get away with it. In Seattle, they confiscate and ticket for anything over their silly 3.5" law

I prefer the "Tanto" blade shape for the strength it has built into it.

Last edited by WATRD; 01-12-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice knives Rob.
That is a strange blade design indeed.

I will snag a pic of some of my knives this weekend if I can dig them out.
I have one that has a blade and an axe on it.
That knife I got from my grandfather some 40 years ago.
The knife is easily over 60 years old.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Here's an excerpt that covers why I like the Tanto blades;

"The Americanized tanto, popularized by Cold Steel, is usually dual-ground for point strength and sharpness along the straight edge. The point is directly along the spine. The front edge meets the long straight edge at a sharp angle, forming the "secondary point". The blade is often dual-ground, with a hollow grind along the straight edge, and a flat grind of sorts up front.

The point on this format is incredibly strong, due to the spine keeping its full width until very close to the point, and then a strong flat grind being used to create the point. There is a lot of metal up front at that point, which makes this format not the best piercer into soft materials, but incredibly strong and able to survive thrusting into very hard materials.

For hard use where a very strong point is needed, this format is exceptional. The very sharp hollow-ground straight edge performs very well for any job that doesn't require a belly. For slashing, the promotors of this format claim the secondary point positively reinforces the slash, so even though the design is bellyless it still slashes well."