Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Texas_Ace 2000 4Runner Build-Up - Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um......um.......um........yeah.....

Can I get a Gin an Tonic Over Here!?!?

Might look better if I am drunk.

I like the light idea but better to get a roof rack and do the wide spread lay out like Darren(another member on here) did with his runner.

The hood scoop, please get a factory one of after market carbon fiber.

The stainless steel hoses is just to much bling.
I like the blue though.

Another cheap mod that will cost you $0 is to get rid of those one time use sliders (i.e. the running boards!)

Is there a way you can hide those wires please...

Like someone else said, I hope that alternator is beefed up.

Other than that at least you put your own personal touch.

I would be too afraid to do anything that extreme, lord, just doing the deck plate I had to take a shot of moonshine to get through it.
Contributing Member

I like the light idea but better to get a roof rack and do the wide spread lay out like Darren(another member on here) did with his runner.

I like the blue though.

Another cheap mod that will cost you $0 is to get rid of those one time use sliders (i.e. the running boards!)

I would be too afraid to do anything that extreme, lord, just doing the deck plate I had to take a shot of moonshine to get through it.

Interesting build up.

I noticed you blacked out your license plate for the pics. You do realize thousands of people see your license plate every day as you drive?

Also - I can understand that a TRD Oil Cap might be an appearance mod, but performance?

Good luck with phase 2!

MadCityRich
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 PM

i like everything on there except the blue seat covers/wheel cover, dosent flow good w/ the factory leather/woodgrain. i'm not a big fan of that hood scoop either though.

other then that its a pretty clean 4runner and those lights are pretty darn bright, you could hide the wires better maybe but if i ever got lights for mine it would prolly be ever more noticable lol

Last edited by Sloan; 08-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
It got worse and worse as I scrolled down.

No offense man, but that shody installation of wiring and parts does not improve the look. All the exposed wiring is just asking for problems. And the LED things on the back bumper? Bolted to the outside with EXPOSED WIRING? WTF IS THAT?

It looks like a Honda, with all the silly lights and unless componets.

BTW we can see your plate in one of the pics. May want to edit that out.

I really dont know what else to say....what a disappointing way to butcher a beautiful truck
Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
What......did you rob auto zone or something??
Ha ha you are so funny.

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
sweet baby jesus.....

Its a RICED 4Runner. Its nice work, and your truck so enjoy away.
But why go to all of the dress up trouble?
Your 'stainless steel hoses'...Those are just metal braided chinese finger traps that slide over the hose, and then a hose clamps holds them on and it is hidden by the big 'connector' but you forgot to rotate the one at the radiator.
That stuff can cause cooling issues, turns out it insulates the hoses and keeps them hotter, in some cases even helping to heat the coolant within...So watch your temps carefully.

Also - forget the headers!!! Buy a alternator quick...your gonna kill that one, and that nice exspensive battery along with it...

Yeah the hoses are just sleeves, i put that in there. and no it doesn't "help" anything but it does look unique. The radiator one could not be turned anymore and still have access to it incase of a problem.

I already know what alternator I am getting, but the one I have now is fine unless I am using everything at once.

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
i was refering to the blue lensed lights all over the front and i think i see some on the rear too. i assume they were led.

the ones you said your friend had lying around.
Oh, well they are actually just normal halogen lights but they work well. And they actually came of a broken light bar (hence when they were laying around....) they work quite well but as everyone has said I was already thinking about taking them off. But they sure were nice at that camping trip., which has been making me think twice.

Originally Posted by One_96TR4
DAMN...that thing is BRIGHT. Not really a fan of the scoop or the bule lights all around the front. The wires are too visible and there just too much IMHO. If you like the scoop get a factory one. WAY better.
The lights will most likely come off they were more a test thing than anything. As was a lot of the stuff on it. The scoop is there more because I plan on getting a factory one at some point and thus will not need the stock hood anymore so cutting a hole would not be a problem.

Originally Posted by gapguy
Um..wow. I guess it's unique.

1)Too many wires. Hide those huge ass crossovers under the seat. You don't want to mess up a "$40k truck" with a boat load of wires. Same goes for all the exterior lighting.

2)Please don't cut a hole under that hood scoop. PLEASE. Do you ever plan on reselling the truck?

3)Steering wheel cover. No no!

4)The LED's on the rear bumper? Did you really mount those with screws?

I'll take it off your hands right now for $8k, spend $1k to restore it and sell it back to you for the $9700 you paid for it.
The wires are for the most part hidden now, these were taken a few weeks ago before I had time to get all the little things done.

No I don?t ever plan on selling the truck, it will be mine until the wheels fall off. I plan to turn it into a true trail rig once I get something else for a DD

The steering wheel cover is there because the wheel is in bad shape and to protect it for that trip I took, it is a good thing it was there too. Paint all over the steering wheel not good.

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
You sure did put alot of holes in that poor poor 4runner!
Yeah I guess I did, but later in it?s life it will have a lot bigger things to worry about then holes so I am not worried.

Originally Posted by YotaFun

I like the blue though.

Yeah, I thought about a light bar but could not find one that would work.

Read above about the scoop.

Well to each there own, I like the stainless steel hose and the bule hoses were cheaper than the black ones but yet look better. So it was a win win for me.

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Interesting build up.

I noticed you blacked out your license plate for the pics. You do realize thousands of people see your license plate every day as you drive?

Also - I can understand that a TRD Oil Cap might be an appearance mod, but performance?

Good luck with phase 2!

MadCityRich
It was a joke with oil cap :-)

And phase 2 is what I am really looking forward to, most of these thing were things I either had given to me or just wanted to try for the heck of it before I started really making it my truck. Most of the parts will be replaced by the time I am done and it will be ready for anything.

Lucky for me I don?t care what people think about my truck. It is mine and if I like it that is all that matters. But I also know that when it is done most will have changed there mind?..
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 PM

This thread is hilarious! Ace, please don't take these comments too hard, this seems to a be much more offroad oriented yota forum, try t4r.org. I agree w/ most of the somments, take it back to stock, remove all that bling.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sloan
i like everything on there except the blue seat covers/wheel cover, dosent flow good w/ the factory leather/woodgrain. i'm not a big fan of that hood scoop either though.

other then that its a pretty clean 4runner and those lights are pretty darn bright, you could hide the wires better maybe but if i ever got lights for mine it would prolly be ever more noticable lol
Yeah the seat covers are already gone, they were a one time thing to protect for a paintballing/camping trip.

Most of the wires are now hidden but the front ones i was not worried about as i was just testing the idea to have them mounted there. the blues ones are going to come off.

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
It got worse and worse as I scrolled down.

No offense man, but that shody installation of wiring and parts does not improve the look. All the exposed wiring is just asking for problems. And the LED things on the back bumper? Bolted to the outside with EXPOSED WIRING? WTF IS THAT?

It looks like a Honda, with all the silly lights and unless componets.

BTW we can see your plate in one of the pics. May want to edit that out.

I really dont know what else to say....what a disappointing way to butcher a beautiful truck
Well the led thing ont he rear bumper plug into the trailer lights so that is why you can see that. and it is just for looks and it does help people see you at night.

well as i have said a lot of the stuff was just being tested as it was either free to me of i already had it. a lot of it will be replaced once i get the money to really get into this.

I garanty you that you will like it when it is finished, it just might be awhile before that comes around. in the mean time i will make it like i like it and that is all that matters.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Henrythewound
This thread is hilarious! Ace, please don't take these comments too hard, this seems to a be much more offroad oriented yota forum, try t4r.org. I agree w/ most of the comments, take it back to stock, remove all that bling.
Oh, i knew i would get ripped for this but oh well it got people to some out of the woodwork to laugh at me!! what can i say i love to make people laugh and have a good time.... even if i am the reason for it.

I don't mind it, all that matters is that i like it and it still needs some work i will be the first to say that but i do like what i know it will be when i am done. On the way there i plan to try a lot of thing out and i will be laughed at a lot more i am sure before i finish.

But in the end i know that it will get approval, i plan to make a nice trail rig out of it later.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Just a second while i gather my thoughts....wow is all i got to say, i hope i don't meet you going the other way down the road. wow. i respect the time for sure.

~patrick
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I agree that it is your 4Runner and you should do what you want. The thing I keep noticing is that you are saying that you will remove most of these products when you are "done" Why dont you save some money now and just buy the bigger things that you want and not have to waste money? Just a suggestion
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Does the horn play "la cucaracha"?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lr9788
I agree that it is your 4Runner and you should do what you want. The thing I keep noticing is that you are saying that you will remove most of these products when you are "done" Why dont you save some money now and just buy the bigger things that you want and not have to waste money? Just a suggestion
well i would had most of the stuff i am removing not been free from friends or a shop i know. Since they were free i figured if they didn't mess anything up permently then why not give it a try?

So i did and it has taught me some good lessons about what i want to do in the end and what not. What i actually bought was not much so far. Having had to pay for it i have not had much to spend on modding it. The first thing i will be doing to it that will put it on the right track is the SC.

Originally Posted by Henrythewound
Does the horn play "la cucaracha"?
Ha ha i need to get that mod right away! lol
Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Henry, i was thinking that but couldn't come to saying it......holly cow i pissed myself.

~patrick
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

You know i must have set some kind of record!

500 views and 50 replies in a matter of a few hours.

And all the replies mocking me! wow what a bunch of friends i have here!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 08-22-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Texas, Very unique...the joking is all in good fun....that's what makes 4x4 fun is doing what u like to your rig. good luck.

~patrick
Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Oh i know, i don't have a problem at all.

I have made more than my share of fun of people i should be able to take it if i can give it out.

It did kind of amaze me how fast the replies came in though. I know i have never seen a thread grow so fast in here before.

(FYI: i knew i would get ripped every which way hence one reaosn for so many pictures. i just knew it would be fun and that everyone would have a good time!)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM

man, im kinda pissed at these people dogging on your rig so hard.

if you like it, thats all that matters. i think some of it is a bit over the top for my taste, and things like the crossovers, well those could have been hidden, the wiring in the rear could be more concealed, etc.

however, i am in no position to pass judgment on someone else's creation.

i think it is a pretty nice looking truck, and it looks like you have spent a lot of time on things. i cant imagine doing the hoses (im just not into prettying up something that sees oil and dirt like mine does, maybe on a full resto. mustang) but if that makes you happy, then go for it.

do whatever you like man, and more power to you. dont listen to these guys on the board. for example, another member, fosheezie (i think thats right) has a lowered 4runner. i have to say that is one of the best looking vehicles i have ever seen. now its not my cup of tea, but i still respect it.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, on another board they love it (more than they should IMO).

What crossover are you talking about? the amp in the back? i wish it could go under the seat but the driver already has the main amp and the pass seat has a rear heater under it. So the last place was in the back, same for the cd changer and inverter. The wires back there are now cleaned up.

These pics were taken just before leving on a 1500 mile trip so i didn't have time to get it all nice and pretty. I was up until 4 in the morning before leaving just getting the radio finished so i could listen to something as the stock was dead.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Really like what you've done under the hood. Were all the silicone hoses from a kit or is that some great looking / fitted custom work.

BTW; you forgot to ink your lisence plate in one of the photos... They're coming for you now...

Truck looks great man!

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace 2000 4Runner Build-Up - Stage 1