Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

LINY4Runner's 2001 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's how I ran the mic cable:

also did a full detail...wash, clay, carnauba, took the seats out and vac, full interior clean, door jambs, glass...everything:

Paint came in and the emblems came out GREAT!!

and.................SAVAGE OFF-ROAD SLIDERS ARE ON!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM

looks awesome man. nice work
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM

I want one!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm really liking this thread. Getting ideas for mine.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Update!

The Spotter®

Thought of this while running a black rock garden...wouldn't it be nice to have a camera on the front to help with spotting...welllll I made it a reality
Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 AM

the exciting-but-not-really-mods update

sooo I installed my Panhard bar drop, had a buddy drop a stack of dimes around it and then weld in a brace too...thanks to sn0wrunner for the tip!

afterwards I hit it with some undercoating
also threw in the Energy Suspension Poly Steering Rack Bushings!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Got the 48" all cast Hi-Lift, and mounted it to the roll bar as such:
The threads in the upper bolt holes in the roll bar are 7/16", so I got a 5 inch long 3/8" bolt and passed it entirely through the roll bar with a flat washer on both ends and a lock nut to hold it in place:

I also picked up a pair of "fender washers" which had the 3/8" hole and were 1.5" in diameter. I used these to sandwich the jack, and all held together with a wing nut for quick and easy access:

All done!!

And the cargo cover fits, although awkwardly...I don't care, I'd never run without it...

and....
I no longer have to worry about strawberry milkshake!
I ordered a B&M (70255) Transmission Cooler from Summit and installed today!
I decided against the Tru-Cool as everyone else uses, because B&M has made a name for itself as quality parts and because Summit has a reputation for getting things to my door within 2 days. The cooler also has an interior bypass system to allow for cool fluid to bypass the cooler until it's at operating temperature.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM

sweet build!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Droopy drawers!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by The4Rocker
Droopy drawers!
I believe that is Kelly, AKA 02Limited
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 AM

i want my T4R to hang out with your T4R and maybe mine will gain some knowledge from your game... SEXY!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM

So I wasn't too happy about shelling out 5 bills plus shipping on a set of BudBuilt skids....soo....I kinda....made my own.
At my job we were throwing out some old warehouse shelves...looked about the perfect size for the belly of my 'Runner so I grabbed 2 out of the dumpster. Now let me say these are not 1/8" steel plate. They're probably around 1/16", just slightly thicker and stronger than the factory skids. It's not the BEST protection, but its absolutely, positively, 100% better than nothing. And sorry guys, I won't be building more lol.
Tonight I started on the Trans Pan Skid.
Here's the shelf I was using:

I cut down and flattened one side, this will sit over the back 2 bolt holes of the factory skids, and utilize the same bolts:

The back side got flipped up vertical. This will use the two inside bolts on the transmission crosmember:

Fresh coat of semi-gloss black:

and..............INSTALLED!

pretty decent...especially for free...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
really nice truck man ..
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM

question... I have OME stiffies and heavies all the way around, and I'm installing the daystar 1 1/2in rear coil spacers, I attempted to do the install the other day and noticed that the parking brake line was STRETCHED when I was messing with the rear end, Do you have any issues with your parking brake line seeing that you have those super tall LC coils?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by paynemw
question... I have OME stiffies and heavies all the way around, and I'm installing the daystar 1 1/2in rear coil spacers, I attempted to do the install the other day and noticed that the parking brake line was STRETCHED when I was messing with the rear end, Do you have any issues with your parking brake line seeing that you have those super tall LC coils?
Yeah that only happens when you let the whole axle droop, once you drop it back onto the ground, the brake line will lose that tension.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM

those rims came out awesome! how you loving the tjm
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Toyota incorrectly set backlash on the rear differentials in a good amount of FJ Cruisers. This causes the differentials to howl. What does someone do with a brand new car that makes noise? Warranty. The dealership will replace the 3rd member under warranty. Many of these 3rds are the coveted e-Locker. On most warranties, Toyota Motor Company will call back the old parts for inspection. The 3rd members cost too much for Toyota to ship, so they don't get called back. Instead the dealerships are told to throw them away, many get sold to a scrap guy.
Enter my friend Mike. If you've seen some of my picture threads from wheeling trips, you'll see a white and black fully locked and SAS'd 1st Gen. That's Mike. He's a technician at a local Toyota dealership. He replaced e-locker 3rds in two consecutive FJs. He had the parts manager hold both of them, as he was gonna swap out his LockRight lockers for a pair of e-lockers. Mike was nice enough to give me one of them and buy an ARB instead.
So with new locker in hand, I logged onto East Coast Gear Supply, located in one of the Carolinas (not sure which). If you are in need of any gears, lockers, t-case parts or really anything Toyota or Suzuki, these guys are top notch. Highly Recommended! Anyways, I ordered from them a Ring and Pinion set by Precision Gears in the 4.88 ratio, along with the triple drilled flange, solid spacer and e-locker gasket*. I got a call from them an hour later, they didn't have the Precision gears in stock, but they'd give me Nitro Gears instead for the same price! That's a $255 gearset for $159!!
Upon reciept of the parts (super fast shipping) I ran down to East End Transmissions in Westhampton Beach, Long Island (also highly recommended!) and they tossed the diff together with the new gears for a mere $150.
My next problem was wiring. I have a 2001 so it never came equipped with the locker harness/ECU or anything. So I looked towards 12voltguy.com for a standalone wiring/switch setup. The only ties to the vehicle on this kit were power and ground. The rest of the wiring was independent and ran from the switch all the way to the differential.
I'm so lucky to have had so many cool people help me get everything together and also with the install. There were hiccups and my Runner ended up sitting at my friends house for about 3 weeks, and in between running around like crazy and muscling through the CO Police Academy, he helped out a ton.
Okay enough of the sappy love story, you want the writeup! Here's the writeup I was following throughout my build:
Retrofit Electric Locker
The only thing we did different was leaving the housing installed in the truck, and we drilled the holes unsing the 3rd member itself, not the gasket.
In the garage and sittin' on jackstands

Jacked up, pulled axle shafts out

before...

Driveshaft dropped and fluid drained...say goodbye to this silly open diff with 3.90 gears pfft!

it's about time I did this...

and the part numbers for anyone looking to buy the seals from the dealer

A diff doesn't get much more "open" than this

Who wants an open differential with 3.90 gears?...<crickets>...yeah me neither

Marking out the notch for the cut...scariest part of the build- cutting into a perfectly good housing
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM

ahhh! starting the cut...

whew! Notch cut out!

My buddy Wade making the weld spots

the spots we had to build up

I don't have any pics of the drill-tap-stud process because we broke countless taps, drilled holes in wrong spots, welded them shut, re-drilled and tapped way too many times and it was way too frustrating to take pictures
what's this? an e-locker diff? In an '01 4Runner? You're a long way from home, pal!

*If you do this swap, DO NOT USE THE GASKET AS A TEMPLATE TO DRILL THE HOLES!! Install the diff in the housing and drill through the bolt holes in the 3rd!

As many of you know, three months ago I chunked my front ring and pinion. Well I am excited to tell you that I have ordered my assembled clamshell (also from East Coast Gear Supply). I ordered it fully assembled with 4.88 gears and...drumroll please...Detroit Tru-Trac Limited Slip Differential! The Tru-Trac is known in the industry for being a "tight" LSD; closer to positive lock than most LSDs. The desire to lock it completely can be achieved by applying a light brake pedal, which as anyone who really wheels(with an automatic) will tell you, they two-foot anyways. Although tight, it still retains road manners as well, which I wanted because I use 4Hi in the snow. I've been told that it feels as if your front tires are aired down. Build time is 4-6 days, shipping time is about 7-10 and install should take 2 hours, meaning I should be able to use 4WD again by the end of October! :guitar2:
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM

shakedown run

I'm still in 2wd, but inspired by CoB and his 2wd wheelstands, I went out, locked the rear diff and had some fun!

(had to...)

It is insane how much more capable the truck gets just at the flip of a switch. Makes me wonder why I haven't done this sooner...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Yo brotha, lookin' good!! Yea I've got my e-locker 3rd member and wire-harness sitting in the garage just dying to get installed in my truck. This makes me jealous! So whats the deal with your rear bumper? Workin going aftermarket?

Last edited by paynemw; 10-10-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: LINY4Runner's 2001 4Runner Build-Up Thread