Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChildrenOfBodom's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Great! Thanks for all the info! I think I just found my next project. I have tried to paint the lower valance and all the other gray trim pieces before because they looked terrible but no matter what I used, the paint would chip, peel, or flake off. This stuff seems to be stronger and more durable so I think I will give it a try.
Actually, if anything, do a few more coats than I did. I just did a little testing today, 4-5 coats is much more durable and aesthetically pleasing. I will show pics another time as it's night now.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
Actually, if anything, do a few more coats than I did. I just did a little testing today, 4-5 coats is much more durable and aesthetically pleasing. I will show pics another time as it's night now.
Okay will do. How many cans do you think I should get if I am going to do all the gray trim pieces and if I qam going to be doing that many coats?

Definitely post some pics when you get a chance, I am excited to see the final product!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Okay will do. How many cans do you think I should get if I am going to do all the gray trim pieces and if I qam going to be doing that many coats?

Definitely post some pics when you get a chance, I am excited to see the final product!
Well, I would probably say around 6-7 cans. It took me 3 cans for 2 coats all around (both front valances, rear valance, all flares and mudflaps).
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Small update:

I replaced my crappy Centric brand brake shoes with Toyota shoes and had the drums resurfaced. No more vibration from braking and performance seems better.

Also installed 4 wheeler's offroad 1/4 inch spacers. The front studs are shorter than the rear and still had 10 1/2 thread turns. Seems like a bit of vibration at speed... but it's weird because it literally stops for a minute then it will come back... I am not sure how that exactly works. Still, tires look better a bit more pushed out.

I was thinking of getting all of the tires rebalanced because the last shop who did it sucked at it pretty hard, but I can't blame them because two of my rims are bent. The tire guy at my dealership, I am sure is better.

As far as bumpers go, I got 3 front OEM bumpers. One bumper was given to me by T4R's driffter33, but I did not use it due to the holes for the Sport flares. A second, I traded for a $10 Starbucks giftcard with T4R's maclean216, which I took the chrome center portion from. It had a bit of rust on the inside and I wirewheeled it clean. The 3rd bumper is from Yotatech's Tracmstr, from a black 2000 Limited. It came with Hella Micro DE's and OEM brackets and I used it's upper valance. The bottom valance I bought from Certifit for $30.

I am still in the process of re-plastidipping the top and bottom valances. After then, I will assemble the bumper and mount the OEM Hellas, wire them up (my 4Runner did not come prewired, I bought an OEM light switch) and then new clear bumper lenses, then I think I should be good to go.

Pics then
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM

I'll post a better set of pics later, but here's a cool pic with the new lights wired in.

I installed the new bumper and stuff (pictured here next to Kobe Bryant's S65, lol) and the bottom tow hook cover is still on order (should be in at the dealer tomorrow)

Also have new bumper lenses on order as well.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job man I like it....I like the contest vid too. Glad to see you actually use it and arent affraid to drive it like a truck lol
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by RogueYota
Good job man I like it....I like the contest vid too. Glad to see you actually use it and arent affraid to drive it like a truck lol
Thanks man.

In recent news:

New 850cca battery, big but it fits. Also aligned headlights/fogs.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Long time no update.

FireStik II.

Bought Workman SWR-2t + 3" jumper.

Also ordered a 40amp PA Speaker/Amplifier combo. No more 5 watts of yelling power, hello 40!
http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-346-Ampli.../dp/B0013LIRV4

------------

Oink. :police: speeding ticket.

0o

First off, I need a new bumper.. trying to find one that's Imperial Jade:

[YOUTUBE]5MUB270QM2E[/YOUTUBE]

The hit bent the center bumper piece, dented the obvious driver's end, broke the left mudflap, cut my coaxial clean in two, and bent my CB mount. Ugh... in my own driveway.

A seam near the rear bumper came apart too... lovely.

Got a new mudflap, waiting to find a new bumper. Wish i could get a CBI...

Jay was nice enough to give me another mount to replace the now defunct one.

Old one is bent and stuff:

Got 2 more Oznium LED dome lights for the map lights.

Installed a 90 degree CB Coax adapter as suggested by t4rs xskydivingdudex to push the CB back a little more.

And installed my new 40 watt Wolo speaker for PA. I can hear it going 90mph on the freeway! Awesome!

Also made my clock red thanks to t4r's GottaBeTRD... though it's way too dark to see during the day. Gonna try a different red before posting pics.

Tis all that I can think of that I did.. and remember.

Last edited by ChildrenOfBodom; 02-11-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM

[YOUTUBE]CUZJADajOG0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jYMBeRK238U[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by ChildrenOfBodom; 02-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
no offense, and nice rig, but thank god you finally made it to page 2... page one takes FOREVER to load... lol!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
no offense, and nice rig, but thank god you finally made it to page 2... page one takes FOREVER to load... lol!
lol.

I guess it's due to the fact that I took my existing build thread, made it into one HUGE post, and posted it

ahaha.

Anyway, new vid!

[YOUTUBE]2cZhbnveyvs[/YOUTUBE]
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM

I've seafoamed again using the PCV and gas. The Brake booster line leads to two cylinders mainly.

Clock = red thanks to Jared Fitch

Black license plate frame marks beginning of chrome removal. CBI Standard rear bumper on it's way.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 AM

Okay so you definitely need to do a writeup on how you changed the color of your clock from green to red!! I switched out all of my stock green gauge bulbs for blue LED's and now the clock is the only thing that isn't blue. I would love to change it to blue, or even red, anything but green pretty much.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Okay so you definitely need to do a writeup on how you changed the color of your clock from green to red!! I switched out all of my stock green gauge bulbs for blue LED's and now the clock is the only thing that isn't blue. I would love to change it to blue, or even red, anything but green pretty much.
Hey man, it's actually pretty easy. I am sure you're aware of how to remove the clock, the only thing required is a small swatch or translucent film that you can place in front of the clock between the front cover and the glass.

Depending on your choice, you can have pretty much any color and it will look visible in daylight. Some choices will be very difficult to see, so you need to stick with a lighter color.

Here is a thread about this: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...our-clock.html

In other news, my new CBI is due to ship on March 14th. Also ordered 4 red powder coated shackles. I am ecstatic, I hate waiting!

I am going to order a brand new OEM Imperial Jade Mica grille. I think it would be too stock without my black billet... but I would hate to cut into a brand new grille. Gonna hang onto my old one in case I want to do the billet in the future.

Thoughts?

Also, newest addition is this LED 3rd Tail light.

Also did some other stuff a few days ago.

Peeled all of the Plastidip off of my flares, then redid it all with 5 coats, as well as 2 coats of clear coat to prevent smudging and help with cleaning (a million times better).

Also, realigned my spacers to eliminate vibration and cleaned up my brake calipers.

And last, new registration! New month sticker, didn't know you could get them til my friend said you could get them free!

Last edited by ChildrenOfBodom; 03-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Hey man, it's actually pretty easy. I am sure you're aware of how to remove the clock, the only thing required is a small swatch or translucent film that you can place in front of the clock between the front cover and the glass.

Depending on your choice, you can have pretty much any color and it will look visible in daylight. Some choices will be very difficult to see, so you need to stick with a lighter color.

Here is a thread about this: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...our-clock.html
Awesome, thanks for the info!

BTW, you have one of the cleanest 3rd generation 4Runner's I have ever seen, keep up the good work!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info!

BTW, you have one of the cleanest 3rd generation 4Runner's I have ever seen, keep up the good work!
Thanks man, yours is pretty awesome too. I really dig your placement of the TRD sticker, that looks pretty awesome.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks man, yours is pretty awesome too. I really dig your placement of the TRD sticker, that looks pretty awesome.
Thanks! Yeah I just wanted to put it somewhere a little different where it would stand out and that is where it looked the best
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by rirunnersr5
nice clean 4runner, i like it
Thanks dude!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Next is the chrome part on the front bumper, I have a green one. Afterwards, who knows...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM

That rear bumper looks amazing! What kind of a bumper is that and how much did it run you?

Quick Reply: ChildrenOfBodom's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread