Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why not a jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the inline 6s that jeeps have in them are relatively good motors, but the exhaust manifolds crack and the main seal has been known to leak. it's a very smooth, nice motor though. imho, amc jeeps were the best, and chrysler jeeps are pieces of junk. you can't beat a 401 powered cj5

for the most part i've noticed about older american vehicles is that most of them used the same parts in the drivetrain besides the engine for the most part. you could find a jeep(amc), ford, dodge, or chevy with a t18 tranny, d44 front end, and dana 60 rear stock

Last edited by kyle_22r; 10-03-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i always thought jeeps were pretty cool looking... but you always hear that they break down a lot. also, i hear their stock axles are wimpy... put bigger tires on them and they will be toast.

if you are going to buy a jeep for an off roader.... how much would you spend on the initial purchase? 2k? 3k? 4k? 5k?

why not get a TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ40? looks like a jeep but BETTER! and those come indestructable stock! the F and 2F motor are reliable motors! if you're worried about power, lots have 350s put in them... so theres plenty of power
theres PLENTY of parts out there too! this is what im going to get as my daily4wheeler!

heres one for
$3000 thats an fj45 too! a rare one!

heres a clean one for $5000

heres a non moded one waiting to be modded for $4500

heres a nice one for $3000

i cant wait to get mine!
Old 10-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input guys, guess I was having a moment of weakness...
Old 10-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Thanks for the input guys, guess I was having a moment of weakness...
Stay strong brother!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I look at Jeep vs Toyota more in the technical aspect. IE, what kind of 4wheelin am I going to be doing. For WA trails, Toyota's have the advantage for wheel base, center or gravity, and breakover angle. BUT, when it comes to rocks and things where a smaller wheel base is king, a Jeep will take the cake. I own 3 4Runners, and love them all. ONe is very modified, but of course has that crappy Inferior Front Suspension. BUT, the vehicle also has 260,000 miles on it, with plenty more to go.
I work with a guy owns a 2000 TJ. He lifted it 4" in the suspension, and 2" on the body. His truck lasted 45,000 miles before the transfer case literally blew apart when driving on the highway. Another problem with jeeps is the chain driven transfer case. I like my Runners cause they all have gear drive cases. Nothing to stretch out there.
Theres a reason so many companies make jeep parts..cause they always break!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

My roommate bought a 99 TJ 4 cylinder about 6 months ago. He has had it in the shop 3 times for problems with the A/C. They had to pull the entire dashboard out to fix the problem. Also, it only had 40k on it and it was already leaking oil. Total P.O.S.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by szf2
I"ll put on my flame retardant suit as well. I've never owned a jeep, so I can't speak for how well they hold up. Probably no where near as good as a Toyota. However, I do know that as soon as my wifes car bites the dust I'm going to find a used rubicon v6, do a soa for around $150 + time (gives 4+ inches lift), put in some new gears w/ lockers and larger tires, longer shocks, front driveshaft if needed, maybe fab up a few new parts (sliderz, bumper, etc) and call it good. This will be way cheaper and less time consuming then doing a SAS on my 4runner + adding lockers gears and larger tires ever would be.

Of course, I love my 4runner. It has way more room (i.e. I can haul 4 people + gear no problem, heck, my wife and I can even sleep in it) plus it is completely capable offroad. However, a jeep would be nice for a second vehicle.
Rubicons have a 4.0L Inline 6 (I6) and you cannot do a spring over on one since they're coil sprung and its already on top of the axle.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ask me, I'd take the axles and suspension of the Rubicon (dual selectable lockers made in Japan), mix it in with the 3.4 5VZ and Toyota tranny, and build it all on a Toyota frame (maybe a little shorter but not Wrangler short), and enjoy my ultimate trail rig. I'm not sure which transfer case I'd go with though... the one from the Rubicon or a Toyota. I just hate Jeep engines and transmissions.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Maybe the question is why a Jeep? Why not a Toy?
Not even the government uses Jeeps anymore
Old 10-03-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by justinh
szf2-- just to let you know the Rubicon Wranglers are a inline 6 motors not V6 motors, they already have front and rear lockers and are coil sprung not leaf sprung making it impossible to do a SPOA lift, best part all of this comes stock!
V6, inline 6, whatever, as long as it has enough HPs to get around. But, I did not know about the coils. That certainly would put a damper on any soa . And all Rubicon's come with lockers? selectable? If both then maybe I could deal w/ longer coils and dropping/extending whatever is needed rather than the soa. Of course, that's all way off. In the meantime I've got a 4runner to build .

Last edited by szf2; 10-03-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:03 PM

yup, rubicon has front and rear selectable lockers and dana 44 axles.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM

David, you need to think like me.

I love my Tacoma, and I see it as a fun rig to drive. The future I have planned is to have it be my trail-only rig.

Since you already bought the 'Runner, and like it very much...use that money you would spend on a Jeep and get some kinda gas-concious car for an in-town vehicle.

Jim
Old 10-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FirstToy
Are these guys government though???
Old 10-04-2003, 02:52 AM

What would happen to 4ROC WA if our president drove a Heep on runs. I know I know like I ever go on the runs on that side of the mountains but still. Oh & BTW the J is silent. You pronounce it Heep. PS I worked for a Jeep dealer back in 1998 and the 4.0 litre rear mains always leaked on those as well as them having transfer issues I remember a little about that being true. Nice lookin but if you dont have spare parts or a good credit card your screwed dude. Stick with your Runner, its sweet lookin!
Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by FirstToy
They all look alike. Every one of them have red haired beards. Thats scary. I think those guys are militia.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I have a Jeep (see sig). It's been good so far, but I'm planning on upgrading to a 4Runner. I'm tired of the floppy top and no-ac. The 4 banger is a joke, only get the 4.0 I6. I looked at trading up, but Jeeps with hardtops + I6 + dana 44's would run around $25K !! The Rubicon is close to $30K !! That is way too much money to me for a Heep. Mine has a back seat and a add a trunk, but the trunk has a speaker in it and there is no storage. As soon as you drop the top it ALWAYS rains. No one ever wants me to drive and when I go downtown there is always a fear that my top will be slashed. My Jeep has been broken into 3 times. The engine has held up okay but I think the exhaust is about to fall off. My O2 sensor is triggering the Check Engine light and I only have 60K miles. I have also had 3 transmissions put in this thing, the dealer just couldn't get it right. It wasn't my driving, I'd start it up at the grocery store, put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot and the vehicle wouldn't come out of gear. Oh I have a puddle in my passenger side whenever it rains and I have a bow proping up the roof so it doesn't puddle. I've had to replace the top once and the windows 3 times. It gets good gas mpg, and is good off road though. Hey, there aren't many vehicles where the doors come off and it was fun when I was in college.

My new 4Runner will hold its value even better, my engine will have more hp and be more reliable, and I'll be able to carry more people and stuff. Plus my sun roof + open windows + open back window will remind me enough of my Jeep days.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:12 AM

I personally really like Jeeps, but I'm sticking with the 4Runner because:

-it's reliable
-it's more practical
-it's more comfortable

I really like the Rubicon but I ain't willin' to pay what they're askin'. I'd rather buy a used 4Runner & mod it for that price.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I have this fear of rolling the 4runner, which would likely total the vehicle for sure, with all the glass in the back. However, with a jeep, its just a matter of flipping back over.
How is it more just a matter of flipping it back over with a Jeep than a Toyota? Will a Jeep not get damaged when it rolls?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
They all look alike. Every one of them have red haired beards. Thats scary. I think those guys are militia.
No, I saw an ABC special and the US military uses Tacos all the time for everything over there.
They might all just be evenly coated with dust is why they all look the same
Old 10-04-2003, 01:30 PM

also, i think that was from the early part of our afghanistan invasion. a lot of the soldiers grew beards to avoid sticking out and making themselves easy targets

Quick Reply: Why not a jeep?