Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why does everyone mess with the 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power is all good and fine (fun too!) but personally I'd be very happy with the power of my current stock 3.0 (very well tuned and maintained) if I could get 20+ mpg out of it.

The predictions for this summer are once again record high gas prices going well above 2.00+ *everywhere* (yeah I know you 'blue' states have had it for a long time now..) I have yet to pay over $1.89 for regular UL and I rue the day I am forced too...

I just may have to get a 2WD regular cab 22RE 5sp if this keeps up.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROMAD
I have yet to pay over $1.89 for regular UL and I rue the day I am forced too...

Enjoy it while you can. I've been forced to pay over $3.00 on two seperate occasions. I am content with the hp output of my 3.0. Sure, it's modded and well maintained, but it's still a 3.0.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

I just am waiting to swap in the 1uz like cebby, the motors are cheap, just trying to price all the other parts of the install.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:22 PM

bro, state college/tx 3.0 is perfectly fine on the flats...but when you meet a hill...its a dog...and if its an auto, forget it, and the gas milage

i've had both the 3.4 is much better for all around....thats why 3rd gens have a 3.4.

the 3.0 on pickups is a differnt story, on a pickup they are alot of fun.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
That Lexus motor swap looks awesome! What country is that from? (noticed the brake booster on the wrong side...) Are there any websites with any decent info? I seem to remember someone saying that it would only work with an auto. Tell me it ain't so!

Last edited by Flamedx4; 02-10-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by damaged
bro, state college/tx 3.0 is perfectly fine on the flats...but when you meet a hill...its a dog...and if its an auto, forget it, and the gas milage

i've had both the 3.4 is much better for all around....thats why 3rd gens have a 3.4.

the 3.0 on pickups is a differnt story, on a pickup they are alot of fun.
Theres hills in Pennsylvania, I drive through hills all the time. Like I said, its not ideal in those situations but when it comes to driving in 4WD conditions, offroading, and having cash in my pocket, it still ranks highly.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
That Lexus motor swap looks awesome! What country is that from? (noticed the brake booster on the wrong side...) Are there any websites with any decent info? I seem to remember someone saying that it would only work with an auto. Tell me it ain't so!
It ain't so. You need a special bellhousing and flywheel though. The pics are from Australia or New Zealand. I wondered who'd be first to notice the brake booster.

Website with alot of great info: www.lextreme.com
Old 02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Banned

3.0 is hard to work on
3.0 is not powerful for what it is
3.0 is a gas hog
3.0 is the worst toyota engine, but far better than other makes
3.0 headgaskets

I have had a 3vze and 22re and I pick the 22re hands down. With only a little bit of work my 22re has as much horse power as my 3.0 and soon it will have more. The 22re is prooven to be a tougher engine. The 22re is so much easier to work on, you could easily tear it down, replace the head, and have it back together before you get that intake off the 3vze.

Now I dont think people should get all up in arms about it, the 3vze is still a toyota engine and it is still a good engine that will run 300k miles but it is not that great and is probably the worst engine toyota ever made.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Look, one fact to condiser is alt. I LIVE at over 7,000 ft. and drive it every day. A little power loss at sea level REALLY shows up when you get this high. Although I can't belive the lack of power some of you guys experiance. I drive a 93 4Runner w/ an Auto tranny, and again I am at 7,000+ ft. I drive up passes everyday, and I can cruise at 85MPH all day (I just hardly drive like this. But I did, driving to Denver once w/ no problems). The engine is working hard for sure, but it was with in it's capabilities. I haven't done allot in mods either. Just a drilled air box w/ a K&N filter. When I go down to San Diego, I can light up the tires!! I was pulling out of a parking lot, and am used to having to floor it up here, down there I was smoking the tires out of that lot...SWEEEEET!! 3.0L ran great, had 209,000 before my SAAB was fixed and I started driving it, and my girlfriend drove the 4Runner (I guess that is o.k. since it is hers ) w/ no oil in it. It developed a leak and she hadn't checked the oil in a long time. Needless to say the engine did not appreciate it. I just hope the Jasper engine I am putting in now has the power the old 3.0L had. I'd hate to get a dog version like some of the guys on here seem to have. I would like some more power though...is it me or are the guys who say there is plenty of power seem like the guys who drive 5 under the speed limit and accelerate slower than a 90yr old w/ a walker? If so...GET OUT OF THE WAY!! There are people behind you, you know!! Like 50 of us doing this MOVE IT!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:46 AM

If you ever want to say the 3.0 sucks.....go drive a nissan pathfinder 3.0. You'll come crawling back. Now those suck!!!

Why are there such isssues with these early jap v6's??? Were they just figuring out how to do these?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
If you ever want to say the 3.0 sucks.....go drive a nissan pathfinder 3.0. You'll come crawling back. Now those suck!!!

Why are there such isssues with these early jap v6's??? Were they just figuring out how to do these?
I've read speculation stating Toyota was in a big hurry to get a V6 engine in its trucks, and didn't design as well as it could have.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
3.0 is hard to work on
3.0 is not powerful for what it is
3.0 is a gas hog
3.0 is the worst toyota engine, but far better than other makes
3.0 headgaskets

I have had a 3vze and 22re and I pick the 22re hands down. With only a little bit of work my 22re has as much horse power as my 3.0 and soon it will have more. The 22re is prooven to be a tougher engine. The 22re is so much easier to work on, you could easily tear it down, replace the head, and have it back together before you get that intake off the 3vze.

Now I dont think people should get all up in arms about it, the 3vze is still a toyota engine and it is still a good engine that will run 300k miles but it is not that great and is probably the worst engine toyota ever made.
I never compared it at all to the other toyota engines.

Still, I drove a couple 22res and with my weight, I'd rather the 3.0. Like Cebby was saying, you do a couple mods, let her breathe and she'll do better.

People just need to realize, this isn't for racing up hills, Nascar, etc.

Its a 10-15 year old engine on a heavier truck than your 1st gen or pickup. I can't speak for 3.0 pickups cause they have an advantage, they might not feel that many problems.

Like it was posted above, go drive another similar truck from this time with a 3.0 and you'll be laughing it up.

Last edited by 94yotarunner; 02-11-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

It's also much cheaper to mod a 22re than a 3.0.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94yotarunner
I never compared it at all to the other toyota engines.

Still, I drove a couple 22res and with my weight, I'd rather the 3.0. Like Cebby was saying, you do a couple mods, let her breathe and she'll do better than your modded 22re. If its all about modding it, you can do anything to anything... still, it is a capable engine for what its for.

People just need to realize, this isn't for racing up hills, Nascar, etc.

Its a 10-15 year old engine on a heavier truck than your 1st gen or pickup. I can't speak for 3.0 pickups cause they have an advantage, they might not feel that many problems.

Like it was posted above, go drive another similar truck from this time with a 3.0 and you'll be laughing it up.
grrr. I had the basic mods on my 3.0, intake exhaust etc, in fact the 3.0 was one of the best responding engines to a K&N intake I have ever seen. I believe most that have owned and worked on both will agree the 22re wins hands down. You can cry all you want but thats the facts.

What people need to really need to realize is this engine aint that great. I dont think anyone is saying its a complete peice of junk It just is not that great
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
You can cry all you want but thats the facts.
Alright... you have more experience with the 22re so I won't go speculating, still, for the price, for the age and for what I use it for, I won't complain, thats all I'm saying.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94yotarunner
Alright... you have more experience with the 22re so I won't go speculating, still, for the price, for the age and for what I use it for, I won't complain, thats all I'm saying.
I liked my 3.0, and before I had a 22re I was on the same side as you in these type of post. however I have seen the light
Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 PM

Here we are, in the year 2005. We are debating about the merits, or lack there of, of an engine that was DESIGNED, yes, DESIGNED, almost 20 years ago. You know, the eighties, when many people in here probably didn't even have a drivers license and thus had nothing else to compare to? Sure, in comparison to todays engines the 3.0 isn't anything special, but at the time it was pretty good. And considering it is Toyota's first V6, ever, I think they did a great job. When you look at what else is out there in the same year classes, it especially points towards the great job Toyota did.

The 22RE versus 3.0 argument in terms of reliability goes back a long way. I think this is one where perception lags reality though. The headgasket recall was an acknowledged problem. But for those people who actually owned a 3.0, and who weren't a mere "theorist" on the matter, you probably found that once the recall was done the 3.0 was every bit as reliabe as the famed 22RE. Some never needed the recall - mainly those who got a 95 4runner or pickup with the right head gasket.

Please, for future reference, put things into perspective when you're talking engines and their flaws.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 PM

I've never had any problems with mine, and to get moving, the only thing I have to do is just bring the motor up in the RPM's. Your redline IS at what, 6k? So bring it up to 5.5k and shift, that's what I do and have never had a problem. It doesn't make any power below 3.5k and seems to make the most power above 4k. These are jap engines, they're not some huge displacement beast that can't go above 4k, so let it get on up there before you shift, but I guess it helps that I don't have the dreaded auto tranny...
Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
When you look at what else is out there in the same year classes, it especially points towards the great job Toyota did.
Yep. In 1990, I was driving my dads 90' 4.3L S10 blazer to school daily. It got 20 mpg, and had lots of power. We finally sold that truck in 1999 with 250,000 miles on it. No major repairs, and no oil useage. Old pushrod and TBI engine technology that worked VERY well.

Last edited by 3car; 02-12-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok Im spilling the beans - flamesuite on

0-60 on my 3vze equipped yota is around 13 and change with me and 400lbs of audio gear. Eventually it will be under 8 seconds and my goal will be to run high 14s to low 15s on the 1/4 after dyno tuning...

Im going to be building up a block for longevity whilst under boost, hence my earier post trying to find the weakest parts of this engine. Honestly when Im done Ill want at least 300 hp and I think that the block and heads will support that with the proper mods if not far more hp. I'd pay money to see a 22re match that or hell even a 22ret match that with any level of reliability.

And I have the slush box behind my 3vze and I still get 20mpg on the highway and 16 around town punching the pedal to the floor. 258,000 miles and counting on the ORIGIONAL head gasket and tranny!

Quick Reply: Why does everyone mess with the 3.0?