Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

why do people throw 20's with Low Pros On there

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a buddy that ownes a couple of tire stores, He loves to make money of the guys that have money to throw away at these over prices ego boosters.

Personally anything over 17's is overkill.

But if you have money to burn I know somone that would love to take it from ya....
Old 07-30-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living in NY and driving throught the city, it's an offroad adventure everyday of the week, 4x4 is awesone cause the cars, "certain cars" in the city piss/leak oil and coat the streets, I've spun all 4 tires from the nasty amount of oil in the road, certain spots you would think people drained the oil into the street, and if thats not bad enough you still got pot holes that are several feet deep and the heavy rains cause flooding so the 4x4, SUV goes right through then just add snow and ice and us non offroaders use our 4x4 systems and have our suspension flex more throughout the year then the occassional person who takes their truck offroad.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:10 AM

I don't get it either.

Why buy a 4x4 and slam it ?, Than put a gay body kit around it ? Theres a few trucks around here that have their 4x4's so low they can't even pull into a parking lot without scrapping.

On the other hand there are a couple really nice 2wheel drive Tacoma's lowered that look like they belong on a track. There NICE looking rides. Slammed Wide Low Pro tires, wicked paint jobs..... full body kits....

In my World 4x4's shouldn't be lowered. do whatever you want to a 2wheel drive unit. But who the heck is gonna take a 4x4 to a race track ?

Last edited by 4Hummer; 07-30-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

I think doing it to 4wds is kinda dumb but 2wd then go for it but I'd rather have a car than a 2wd truck;a 2wd 4Runner (or one with oversize wheels) is like brandishing a dull knife. Just for looks but can't do the job that it's looks imply,kinda like brush guards and tail light guards on 2wd trucks;I guess you can use 'em for protection from shopping carts.

I think if you got the bucks then go for it but I know people that take out $5000 loans for wheels an tires,5 grand for BLING. ack!!!!!
Oversize wheels and tires do nothing but impair performance.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 AM

I bought my Tacoma because they are by far the best trucks out their(I dont know about the 05.... )!

So if you LIFT or LOWER a Tacoma(or Toyota) in my eye you still ROCK for buying the best out there!!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Maddog
The station wagon is no longer the boring old family car anymore,they are being made to be very good looking rides that can still fit the whole family.
You never saw my old station wagon. '73 Mercury Colony Park (big a** boat), 429 big-block, tunnel-ram manifold, twin 750 double-pumpers, 300hp nitrous shot, tubbed rear, 33×21 MT Sportmans, twin sunroofs and still carried six comfortably My only regret is that I never took it out to the track to run it and see how it did

Last edited by toy283; 07-30-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=X-AWDriver]I think doing it to 4wds is kinda dumb but 2wd then go for it but I'd rather have a car than a 2wd truck;a 2wd 4Runner (or one with oversize wheels) is like brandishing a dull knife. Just for looks but can't do the job that it's looks imply,kinda like brush guards and tail light guards on 2wd trucks;I guess you can use 'em for protection from shopping carts.
QUOTE]

That's depressing
Old 07-30-2004, 01:49 PM

4x2 4-runners are ok to slam and slab aout.. but 4x4's naw..
and people that slam Pre-runners.. yeah yall just waisted yalls $$ on a pre runner and shoulda gotten a reguler taco
Old 07-30-2004, 02:37 PM

A recent article in Consumer reports noted that people put these +1, +2, +3 tires on their trucks. They tested them and found them to course the following problems: increased roll over accidents, deteriotated braking (wheel are much heavier), more hydroplanning (truck already light in the rear), rough ride (actually wear suspension was increase), frequent flats (can't handle potholes), and very expensive. They also added up 150lbs to the weight of the truck and ruin bearing faster. Generally there was little gained besides the p0rnstar look.
C
Old 07-31-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Roadtripr,Good post since I've always stated that oversize wheels also hurt handling,rob power and can incur damage from even small potholes in roads. I would never put anything on my truck or cars that would hinder safety or performance.

I think the fad will change over the next 5 years and will be replaced with some other dumb fad that the general public will embrace. Everybody is slapping big wheels on their vehicles and these are the same people that shunned the idea when import cars were doing it 5 years ago but people follow trends once they become accepted.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

this is an interesting subject.....asking why people put big rims on a 4x4 4 runner is like asking why even buy a brand new 4x4 4 runner with all the bells an whistles.....90% of us arent going to buy the best 4x4 suv we can afford then take it offroading over rocks, so if your not going to take it offroading why not put big wheels on it, might as well..if you like the look, personally i think they look good stock but thats just me.....i have a 4x4 taco in case i need it on a construction site or incase i'm visiting my family and friends in MD and they have 2 feet of snow, not to go offroading.....i'd like to take it offroading but its brand new and i dont want to bang it up yet....
Old 07-31-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Living in NY and driving throught the city, it's an offroad adventure everyday of the week....
yeah, and in SF when you get stuck behind MUNI(city busses) it's nice to have big tires and romp one side of your rig on the sidewalks to get around faster. Hell, its fun just to drive up on the sidewalks anyway, little off-road adventures in the city everyday
Old 07-31-2004, 12:16 PM

Many times I had to drive up on the curb or sidewalk to let a cop pass, once I was on the Palisades Parkway and it was pouring buckets and a cop with his PA system is telling people to move well the guy infront of me was in a GS that was lowered with a body kit and giant rims, well I think the cop realized that the GS would tear the body kit off going over the curb so the cop hoped on the dirt shoulder and went around
Old 07-31-2004, 12:55 PM

I have to admit i do a fair bit of curb hoping,it makes me feel like im using my runner for its purpose.
basicly i do it cos i can.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Living in NY and driving throught the city, it's an offroad adventure everyday of the week, 4x4 is awesone cause the cars, "certain cars" in the city piss/leak oil and coat the streets, I've spun all 4 tires from the nasty amount of oil in the road, certain spots you would think people drained the oil into the street, and if thats not bad enough you still got pot holes that are several feet deep and the heavy rains cause flooding so the 4x4, SUV goes right through then just add snow and ice and us non offroaders use our 4x4 systems and have our suspension flex more throughout the year then the occassional person who takes their truck offroad.
you do know you can screw the transfer case over by running 4 wheel drive constantly on pavement right especially the newer aluminum ones
Old 07-31-2004, 02:13 PM

Wow... How many times has this subject come up....

"Bling" returned 343 results
"lowered" returned 301
and "big wheels" 317...

Anyhow, Kloun, you come to the board and post a question with your opinion laced in it anyway. You should expect some replies about whether its good or bad, and if you can't accept an answer that is not the one you gave, maybe you shouldn't ask questions, and sure as hell shouldn't reply about insulting some one's mother... I outgrew that in 4th grade...

Anyhow, roadtrpr referred to the fact there is increased brake wear, suspension wear, etc... Alot of these people do not upgrade the brakes, which is why the deterioration is so bad. The brakes on these SUV's are not rated for such weight/rotating mass. Recently I found out that spinners are not able to withstand more than 316 lb/ft torque, which is why the people putting them on sports oriented cars, or large trucks for that matter, are ruining the wheels, just by romping on the car.

Oh, and I've curb hopped. At my highschool some people wouldn't let you leave your parking space, if I was parked next to the curb/rockbed that dotted our parking lot, I'd drive over that into the next aisle so I could get out. After seeing my truck do this, most people would smile and let me in.

Who had the wicked cool 4th gen with 20's and A/T tires on it??? That thing was sweet! Fourrunnabilly right?
Old 07-31-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Wow... How many times has this subject come up....

"Bling" returned 343 results
"lowered" returned 301
and "big wheels" 317...

Anyhow, Kloun, you come to the board and post a question with your opinion laced in it anyway. You should expect some replies about whether its good or bad, and if you can't accept an answer that is not the one you gave, maybe you shouldn't ask questions, and sure as hell shouldn't reply about insulting some one's mother... I outgrew that in 4th grade...

Anyhow, roadtrpr referred to the fact there is increased brake wear, suspension wear, etc... Alot of these people do not upgrade the brakes, which is why the deterioration is so bad. The brakes on these SUV's are not rated for such weight/rotating mass. Recently I found out that spinners are not able to withstand more than 316 lb/ft torque, which is why the people putting them on sports oriented cars, or large trucks for that matter, are ruining the wheels, just by romping on the car.

Oh, and I've curb hopped. At my highschool some people wouldn't let you leave your parking space, if I was parked next to the curb/rockbed that dotted our parking lot, I'd drive over that into the next aisle so I could get out. After seeing my truck do this, most people would smile and let me in.

Who had the wicked cool 4th gen with 20's and A/T tires on it??? That thing was sweet! Fourrunnabilly right?
To bad Kloun was DIS missed due to another thread he started. I missed out on this thread. Didnt have my appeal I guess not to mention I didnt look who the author was. Damn me. Must pay attention from now on.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
To bad Kloun was DIS missed due to another thread he started. I missed out on this thread. Didnt have my appeal I guess not to mention I didnt look who the author was. Damn me. Must pay attention from now on.
this is the thread that started it all,then went on to the other one in Off topic.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by redfox435cat
you do know you can screw the transfer case over by running 4 wheel drive constantly on pavement right especially the newer aluminum ones
Last time I checked it was 2004 are you still living in 1996, they have these new fangled transfer cases with AWD, try it sometime amazing how they work.

1st read and understand what I say cause others have
Old 07-31-2004, 08:33 PM

I have no problems with 20's on 4runners if they're wrapped with michelin xm-47 tires ... actually some 20's look good with 33"s...

Quick Reply: why do people throw 20's with Low Pros On there