Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why didn't I get a manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't I get a manual tranny?

I am SCARED that my auto tranny is going out! After sitting for a while, it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd right away, it only shifts if I floor it. after about 1/2 mile of hanging out at about 30 mph it will shift into 3rd. It is also consistantly shifting hard from those two gears.

Anyway!

If i DID have to have tranny work done, how far out of the question is getting a manual tranny put in? That would be too cool, because that is what I wanted to begin with.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats one reason why my family only drive manuals.... puting in a manual can be done it depends on how deep your pockets are
Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crbocaj125
I am SCARED that my auto tranny is going out! After sitting for a while, it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd right away, it only shifts if I floor it. after about 1/2 mile of hanging out at about 30 mph it will shift into 3rd. It is also consistantly shifting hard from those two gears.

Anyway!

If i DID have to have tranny work done, how far out of the question is getting a manual tranny put in? That would be too cool, because that is what I wanted to begin with.
I'am in the exact same boat you are in! My trans is doing the samething. I recently got a whole trans, transfer, flywheel and clutch pedals out my local u-pull-it yards. I dont know what year yours is, but you need to cut holes for the clutch master cylinder and run a line from that to the slave. Also be aware that their is two different style flanges for the driveshaft, one is a square bolt pattern and the other is rectangular. Make sure you get both of the driveshaft if not too expensive. Also another option is Marlin Crawler sells a universal flange for both types of driveshafts for $35 each.

James
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM

Check out this thread. It may be the reason why your holding gears long and why it seems like you wont shift. If your engine has been sitting for awhile as you state. Check to see if this happens when your temp gauge is at operating conditions.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...overdrive+temp
Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 AM

Mine does this when it's "cold". After work or it's been sitting a while you can take out and it will hold second longer than normal. It will shift, just let climb up to between 2500 to 2700 rpms. I think this is normal because mine has always done this and after everything warms up it shifts at a lower rpm. I pull a 5'x14' trailer with 2 atv's on it and it doesn't seem to bother it one bit, no slipping, no noises, nothing. I have noticed one thing, that toyota autos always seem to shift firm sometimes. My wifes parents owned a Tundra and that auto tranny acted the same way my 4runner does.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles are on the tranny? Are you S/C'd? Have you had it truly flushed (not just drained and filled)?

It's certainly possible, but like Elton said, it's a matter of $$$.

Outside of the tranny itself, and a day+ of labor, you may need to swap the ECU. Right now your ECU is thinking it's talking to a tranny ECU as well to drive the auto. I'm not sure what will happen if you just disconnect it.

And if the manual tranny (with or w/o a transfer case) is a different length than an auto, then you'll need a new rear/front driveshaft(s).

You might also want to wander over to this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89500

Interesting concept, it won't give you a TRUE manual but it would resolve your seeking complaint.

Last edited by midiwall; 07-07-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bigvick
Mine does this when it's "cold". After work or it's been sitting a while you can take out and it will hold second longer than normal. It will shift, just let climb up to between 2500 to 2700 rpms. I think this is normal because mine has always done this and after everything warms up it shifts at a lower rpm. I pull a 5'x14' trailer with 2 atv's on it and it doesn't seem to bother it one bit, no slipping, no noises, nothing. ..
Mine Auto trany (1996 4Runner 4x4, 3.4 L Auto) does the same thing sits in second gear until 2500 RPM when it’s “cold” (not in the normal operating temp). Has done it for last 7 years and have 95 000 miles on it.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bigvick
Mine does this when it's "cold". After work or it's been sitting a while you can take out and it will hold second longer than normal. It will shift, just let climb up to between 2500 to 2700 rpms. I think this is normal because mine has always done this and after everything warms up it shifts at a lower rpm.
Ditto on my '02. I can mark the spot on my road out of my nieghborhood where it will shift on a cold morning. Been doing it for a couple years now. I was told this is normal until the truck warms up.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM

I think all automatic Toyota's and designed that way. My 97 Runner does it, my fathers RX300 and my wifes old ES300 did it. I think they designed it that way to get the engine to operating temps faster so you get better MPG and emmisions.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by progress4m
Mine Auto trany (1996 4Runner 4x4, 3.4 L Auto) does the same thing...
Originally Posted by KGnagey
I can mark the spot on my road out of my nieghborhood where it will shift on a cold morning...
Originally Posted by manofsteele2003
I think all automatic Toyota's and designed that way...
I think you guys are missing the original point:
After sitting for a while, it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd right away, it only shifts if I floor it. after about 1/2 mile of hanging out at about 30 mph it will shift into 3rd. It is also consistantly shifting hard from those two gears.
Given that he's in Naples, FL, I don't think this is an issue of a _cold_ morning. Mine does this a bit too when sitting after an overnight in 60* damp, but it doesn't do it after sitting in the sun at work all day.

Plus, he's talking about hard shifts and constantly hunting.

I think we need more information...

Last edited by midiwall; 07-07-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:23 PM

Just because it is not cold outside does not mean that the engine will be at operating temp as soon as you start it.. If its 90deg outside thats still less than the engine temp will be after it is warmed up. Its like 35deg celscius (95F) right now and when i drove my truck at lunch time it was below op. temps for a short period. The temp outside will only be how quick it gets to op. temps. When its -30deg celcius here then it takes like 10 min to get to op temps.

Last edited by Godzilla; 07-07-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Just because it is not cold outside does not mean that the engine will be at operating temp as soon as you start it...
Right, I understand that. But my guess is that he's talking about something more than this common warm-up period.

No matter, mine never does the hard shifts or the hunting... (I actually wish it would shift harder!)
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 PM

how long have you had your Runner? and for how long have you noticed this happening?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall

I think we need more information...
I agree
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

I got it about 2 mths ago, it has 110k on it. I NOTICED it recently but I definatly can't say it hasn't done it since I got it, because I used to drive pull right out into a 50mph road, now I go slowly through a complex under 30 mph. I don't think the tranny has been flushed. I am about to gave the timing belt done ( now that the for ranger is sold I get to do all kinds of cool stuff ), should I do the tranny flush too?

I can elaborate more on the hard shifting: It is just not flowing between gears like it should, it is a very sudden noticable shift. It only does this between 2 and 3 though, none others!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM

I got it about 2 mths ago, it has 110k on it....should I do the tranny flush too?
YES.

My general recommnedation on a used vehicle is that you trust NOTHING that the previous owner has told you about general service. In the long run, you'll be better to figure that he's never even changed the oil.

So, that translates to...
  • Change (CHANGE as in flush and refill) ALL fluids: Oil, both diffs, transfer case, power steering, brakes, coolant and tranny.
  • Change the plugs, plug wires, front O2 sensor, PCV valve, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.
  • Lube everything. I think there are 13 zerks on the chassis.
  • At 90k+ you should also change the timing belt, water pump and all front cover belts. The only expection is if you have a receipt in your hand that says this has been done that shows a mileage number and a matching VIN.
I would also start saving pennies for a factory service manual. It'll be a Godsend down the road.

I can elaborate more on the hard shifting: It is just not flowing between gears like it should, it is a very sudden noticable shift. It only does this between 2 and 3 though, none others!
Flush the tranny and see if it helps. It can also be worthwhile to adjust the kickdown cable. It's possible that the previous owner cranked the adjustment to make it shift harder.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

midiwal..not do but i have heard that doing this to a high milleage vehicle isnt that great to do cause of loosing sludge and creating leaks... myth? fact? i know 110k is just warming up for yotas but i too have this many miles and have hesitated on this service cause i have no idea what to believe. i have been doing drain and fills when needed since 85k when i bought it
Old 07-07-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by fireteacher
midiwal..not do but i have heard that doing this to a high milleage vehicle isnt that great to do cause of loosing sludge and creating leaks... myth? fact? i know 110k is just warming up for yotas but i too have this many miles and have hesitated on this service cause i have no idea what to believe. i have been doing drain and fills when needed since 85k when i bought it
I assume you are talking about his recommendation to flush the tranny?

I think it is a great idea to flush the tranny if it hasn't been in a while, but do not power flush it. There is a lot of gunk (yes, that's the technical term ) that gets knocked loose when you power flush and can find its way to places it shouldn't be. It's better to just drain and refill a few times to gently get new fluid in.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

you mean at in one day say...drain and fill say 3-4 times or you mean every few hundred/thousand miles?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:10 PM

I have a '98 4Runner 4x4, auto and its been doing that lately. Only when its cold out and it seems to be kind of foggy. I bought it in May and I either didn't notice it or it just started doing it. It only has 100k miles on it though. I just put a new timing belt in it and a water pump and replaced all the other belts. I just put that transmission cleaner stuff (er whatever it is...) in it and it hasn't done it yet. I thought I was the only one with this problem, whew!

Quick Reply: Why didn't I get a manual tranny?