Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wheelskin

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:19 AM
DuB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelskin

I'm supposed to be doing an CompSci project that's due tomorrow, but hey, as my post-its say, "I put the Pro in Procrastinate"

Anyway, my steering wheel is getting pretty glossy lookin', and it's even slipped in my hands a couple times, so I was thinking of slappin a cover over it. I remembered a lot fo you had wheelskins, so I think I'll try that out as well. So here comes the first question: Is Autoseattle.com the best place to get them from? ok, another question: What size did you guys get for your 3rd gens? I'm going to go measure it tomorrow, but I just thought it'd be good to know what you guys think works best.

I was planning on getting a plain black one, but then I saw that you can choose other colors, so I was thinking of maybe a black and Oak (or sand?) cover... Do you guys think that would look ok, and which color do you think would match the oak interiors better?

One last question! I promise! Does any know of any webpages that tell you how to do nifty looking lacing? I'm looking right now but I can't find anything. I remember Allan (*edit*- I think his name was w/ an "a") (w/ the silver 4Runner, hoodscoop, Boston Pro interior speakers, Jaos wing) used a really nice looking stitch pattern that took him 4 hours to do.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by DuB; 03-14-2003 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Auto Seattle is probably your best bet.
http://pnw4runners.net/tando/modpics2.htm

The thing to do is call up Wheelskin's and ask what size you need, and the color combo if you want the Eurotone as it is called like mine.

Then you call up Auto Seattle and place the order.
They then call up Wheelskin's who makes it to order for you, and ships it right to you.

Wheelskin's does not sell direct, at least a few years ago when I did this they did not.

By the way, it still looks brand new.
All I do is clean it with Tuff Stuff (search the forum for that) and then I put on Lexol Leather conditioner.

Can't help you with the fancy stitching.
Oh, your fingers will hurt for a few days too.
It's murder pulling that thread through.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:37 AM

The lacing is actually fairly easy when you know how... being a sailor I leared lots over clever hand stitches and a few tricks for working with heavy duty leathger and canvas.

What kind of stitch were you looking for?
Old 03-14-2003, 08:33 AM
DuB

Corey, thanks for the info!

Mack, I guess I'm just looking for a good looking stitch that'll look like it was factory done. I just want something different from the standard shoelace looking stitch

Thanks for the help guys! Just finished my CS assignment too. time for some shuteye til my 3 oclock class
Old 03-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to have bloody hands after you are done. Put on some gloves before you go in for surgery.

Hmm, you could also go with the grant steering wheel shell. I love that thing. The coolest part is, the back is still open, so you fingers still grip the leather from behind. The best of both worlds if you want a wood wheel (plus is matches the limited fac wood.

Full shot:

Old 03-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Here is my write up

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 03-14-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:39 PM
DuB

woah, cool. how'd you do that stitching? That looks nice
Old 03-15-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one of those GRANT woodgrain plastic steering wheel covers and besides having to constantly defend myself from everyone's comment that it was really tacky and cheap looking, it cracked after about 6 months, so I threw it away. IMO, it is a POS.

There is a company in Texas that take your steering wheel and will redo it like the new '03 Avalon wheel with a wood/leather cover. If I were to do this, I would want to get a donor from a salvage yard because it will take some time to get the job done.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks.. it was a pain.. I think it took about 3 hours.. I used 2 needles (Thanks again Brian) and I started out kinda like lacing a shoe.. I did the straight one first, then crossed over to make the X, then back straight again.. Hard part is keeping it tight This stiching takes a long time, and if I were to do it again, I would lace like a foot ball.. The above is very easy to wear through the thread with time...
Old 03-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Hey Manymods,

Who's the company you are talking about? My steering wheel sucks at this point, and to replace them, it's like $750 from the factory. That's obviously not an option, but I would love it to look the avalon's with the same wood grain that's already in my truck.

Chris
Old 03-17-2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by ravencr

Who's the company you are talking about? ...
Here ya go Chris ....

http://www.american-stitches.com/ams...es/index2.html
Old 03-17-2003, 04:05 AM

Thanks Peter,

I emailed them to find out how much one would cost for my 1998 in a wood & leather combo. I'll let everyone know!

Chris
Old 03-17-2003, 04:12 AM

I emailed them to find out how much one would cost for my 1998 in a wood & leather combo. I'll let everyone know!
Chris,
I have not done anything yet but I would like to have the wheel on my wagon redone. However, my understanding is that they need your wheel or a donor and the job costs about $300.00. I have heard that the final product is of OE quality but, as I said, I have no first hand experience. Please do LMK what you learn.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:20 AM

Man, that's a ton of money for that. I'll be holding off if that's the case. I'll let you know, though.

Chris
Old 03-17-2003, 07:52 AM

The cost for a wood and leather combo wheel for my 1998 4Runner is $400 plus $12 shipping. There's no way I'm paying that much.

Chris
Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 AM

Just wanted to let everone know that for just a leather wheel, which is just like stock, it's $259.00 instead of $400.00 for the wood/leather combo.

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a nice close-up of the wheel I have in a customers truck along with the fac matched dash kit.

CLOSE-UP
Old 04-02-2003, 06:08 AM

Hey Jason is that the burlwood Grant steering wheel cover we were talking about? It looks gret in the picture for sure. How far around the backside of the steering wheel does it come?

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Jason is that the burlwood Grant steering wheel cover we were talking about? It looks gret in the picture for sure. How far around the backside of the steering wheel does it come?

Chris
You are correct. It goes abount halfway around. half moon. It does look nice since it matches.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:13 AM

When you look at it from the side can you see the old leather too or does it cover it well?

Chris

Quick Reply: Wheelskin