Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What to take care of before I sell 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to take care of before I sell 4Runner?

Hey I'm selling my 4Runner, it needs some stuff done before I will feel comfortable with it's "sell-ability" I don't want to put a bunch of money into just to sell it, but I know with a little work it will sell easier. Right now all I am looking at are:

new rotors & pads (really needs them)
new knock sensor (needs it)

Is there anything else I should do to make it easier to sell? I am definitely detailing it completely myself, but any other mechanicals? Should I change the oil? Anything like that?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Someone told me you should have the A/C charged even if it's not leaking. That way it will blow super cold for the potential buyer.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:55 PM

Yeah my a/c sucks, but I have a 1990, so I think it would be mucho $$$$$ to get it converted and charged
Old 04-29-2003, 06:58 PM

The usual

There's always the usual--washed and waxxed, vacuumed, shined inside and out, and don't let it smell (neither bad nor good). I dislike smells in cars, whether it be lemon air freshner or stinky socks.

Zach
Old 04-29-2003, 07:24 PM

Or my sweet sweet cheeba. I'm gonna have to sell this to an old head. My car smells like the '60s all over again.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:25 PM

Definately change the oil. It's cheap and if I was a prospective buyer I would be turned off by seeing black oil on the stick.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Los Gatos,

Oh, my liberal friend, even this staunchest of staunch conservatives will help you here! I will let you in on what the Toyota Certified program keys in on as my own experience selling three used cars.

First, make sure the exterior is pristine. That is the first thing that people look at and perception is everything here. Follow the Corey Cable method and you'll be fine. Clean under the wheel well too.

Second, clean the engine bay. I'm sure you've seen enough CD-2 posts to find out how to do this.

Third, make sure the interior is spotless. If it smells like dog, french fries, mold, etc., you're gonna get alot of questions. Also, buy new floor mats. Even the cheapy ones. Also vaccuum the interior. Make sure you leave plenty of vaccuum lines in the carpet. Do not overdo the air freshener. If the inside smells bad, your best bet is to have it professionally detailed, inside and out if the interior is really rank. An Ozone machine will do this for you.

Forth, be realistic about the engine's overall condition. Gather every single service record you can find. Having a big stack is impressive. Makes you look like you cared for the vehicle. This will give your engine "credibility."

Fifth, do not replace any major parts unless they are vital to the vehicle's safe operation. For example, if your brakes are completely worn down, replace the pads. For anything non-safety related, just find out the average cost to replace those things and keep a note of how much you are willing to take off your desired price of the vehicle. You will NOT recover the money you put into repairing those last-minute items if you decide to fix those before selling the vehicle.

Sixth, be honest about the defects, dings, etc. If you have dings, do a walk around with the owner. Say "here's a little ding, there's a little ding, etc." You will get the owner's trust if you point out the things that all people expect to see on a used car anyways. Think about it this way: do you expect to see a used car with no door dings? Pointing out the obvious and expected will give you credibility.

Be realistic about the price. Think about how much YOU would pay for it if you didn't know you.

As for how to handle buyers, do NOT hold the vehicle unless they are willing to put up, say, a $50- $100 non-refundable signed deposit. Trust me, there will be plenty of promises to buy it but cash talks and you'll quickly weed out the fence sitters. If a person is serious, $50- $100 is nothing. Do not turn down a potential sale on a promise (like I learned the hard way).

Go to the CA DMV website and understand what your responsibility is as a seller. Be well organized. Also check out the NADA black book. That is a better estimation of the used vehicle price, not the Kelley Blue Book. Speaking of KBB, go to their website and do a price check on your vehicle as a trade-in as well as a private sale.

I'm sure there's something I forgot but if I remember, I'll add to this post.

(See? Conservatives are nice guys too! )

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-29-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:27 PM

Thanks a lot, that is an excellent checklist. I definitely need to get rid of the engine light, though. I may do JUST pads and knock sensor. I have checked the blue and black books, but I know in my area 4Runners go for more than those books say. I don't know why, but every 4Runner around here costs a lot of change. I got a decent deal on mine, but it's only one of two in fair/good condition for under $6000 that I've EVER seen around here. The other one was the same price, but it was an '89 4 cyl 5 spd with 200k miles and no options.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:33 AM

Bob.......
Old 04-30-2003, 07:07 AM

Oh and by the way I dislike ultra-liberals as much as ultra-conservatives. There is no way you can agree with everything one party believes in. People who take political extremes = dumb. I don't like Bush, but I don't like Gore either.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:35 AM

Los Gatos,

Just ribbin' ya, big fella, just ribbin' ya. If you ever meet me, one of the first things my wife will tell you is "don't believe 90% of what he says".

Good luck w/ the sale and if u need anymore advice, just PM or email me.

Bob
Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT THING. The Bill of Sale. This is a legal document, and you MUST make the buyer sign a copy.

Dan
Old 04-30-2003, 08:41 AM

Go to the CA DMV website and understand what your responsibility is as a seller.
Dan,

Yup, Bill of Sale. He'd find everything including that on the CA DMV website.

Bob
Old 04-30-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Los Gatos,

Just ribbin' ya, big fella, just ribbin' ya. If you ever meet me, one of the first things my wife will tell you is "don't believe 90% of what he says".

Good luck w/ the sale and if u need anymore advice, just PM or email me.

Bob
BOB!!! WTF? You're 90% B.S.?? Does that mean my job at the world head quarters of Type "R" filters may be a joke???
Oh, this is sick.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

"don't believe 90% of what he says"
that explains SOO much

haha, jk man.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:17 PM

that explains SOO much
Haha, yeah, its all good.

I hope to see both you and Los Gatos at the Pismo trip in August. It will definitely be a GOOD TIME!

Bob