Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If CHRISTIAN doesn't then I will.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 PM

King, what do you drive??
Old 03-24-2004, 08:03 PM

A '94 P/u Ext Cab 4x4.

Last edited by KING; 03-24-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by KING
If CHRISTIAN doesn't then I will.
And if he doesn't, I will!!

J/k just had to jump on the wagon.

Too bad I wasn't in arizona to check out this truck.

Good luck with whatever u do.

Maybe look into a 2jz swap.........
Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 PM

Thanks for jumping on the wagon,Toyo.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I hear the Air Force will soon be retiring some old F-16's. Just go but the engine out of one of those and a saddle from a wester store, strap it on, put your head between your legs, and kiss your a33 goodbye.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 PM

NX -

Ever seen me around?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:48 PM

I would supercharge it and loose the nitrous. The supercharger gives you power all the time and doesn't have to be refilled, safer on the engine too.
"From a couple of weeks ago"

Told you it was hard on the engine.

Sorry to hear.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 PM

Told you it was hard on the engine.
While I'm the LAST person to extoll the virtues of nitrous oxide, I'm tired of hearing people say it's hard on this... and it'll blow that up... and blah blah blah. Do these people even know what nitrous does, or are they spreading a rumor?

Fact:

Nitrous does two main things.

1. Cools the intake charge air. (if sprayed from a dry system or wet)
2. Adds more 02 to the intake.

That said, a properly setup nitrous system is no more worse for a motor than a S/C or a turbo. But then again... I've heard people say those will blow up your motor too. Bad gas will blow up your motor people... but you don't see people saying that... well, much...

My guess is that it was a dry system, and w/o knowing his other mods, he didn't have enough fuel to keep up w/ the 125 shot (who does w/ a Taco/4Runner you run lean w/ the 70hp from the S/C) and he leaned out the motor and it died.

NX-

Did you have a A/F gauge? What was it reading?
Did you re-jet the jets on the nitrous nozzle/turn up the N02?
Did you have any fuel upgrades?
Any ignition upgrades?
Any block upgrades?

edit:

< sigh >

Just looked over his mod list... Lot's of air upgrades... intake, exhaust, a chip, of course the N02, and an AFC... So looks like he had " control " of the a/f... but not any actual FUEL upgrades. IF he did tune it on a dyno properly (I'm guessing it wasn't.. most aren't... and they go boom too..) then he probably DID use an A/F gauge to get it close (I hope). Even if it was tuned on a dyno to get a decent A/F... the stock injectors and the stock pump would have been close to 100% duty cycle and the motor still would have died. Too bad. If you need a short block, let me know. I've got access to a few.

Either way, I will concede that a true " shot " of nitrous is harder on a motor b/c of the sudden shock loading (i.e. it's not a gradual power) I'm guessing that this was a WOT system, and there wasn't enough fuel.

(off soapbox)

The above was not directed toward anyone, just a rant.

J

Last edited by WolfpackTLC; 03-24-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

That's good information to know. I never knew how NO worked.

EDIT:
Wait, I'm forgetting my chemistry... it's NO2, right?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
That's good information to know. I never knew how NO worked.

EDIT:
Wait, I'm forgetting my chemistry... it's NO2, right?

Yes, it is NO2, with a molecular structure of two oxygens and one nitrogen between them and is highly polar. Since the air we breathe is actually 70% nitrogen and some 28% oxygen, it has a MUCH higher oxygen content than normal air. (Percentages are guesstimates of what I remember.) This has the same effect as a turbo or s/c of getting more air into the engine. It also significantly cools the air intake temperature as you have a liquid in a tank going from 3800psi to 14psi AND a phase change from liquid to gas so it also acts as an intercooler would...

Now you put a lean fuel system in that mix....wow and ouch.

Exceptional post Wolfpack TLC.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

Good job guys! Except the air we breathe is 21% O2 (diatomic) and NO2 is 70% O. So NO2 has over 3x more O than air at atmospheric pressure. More O means the ability to burn more fuel. More fuel means bigger explosions.

Bigger explosions means more stress on engine components which means your Taco is gonna eat your wallet alive.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:55 AM

I'll concede to the bigger explosion statement, but I prefer to call in a controlled burn. At least that's what you're supposed to be shooting for in your combustion chambers...

Anything else, and you call it pre-ignition or detonation. More oxygen DOES mean the ability to burn more fuel. Unfortunately, I don't think the Fast and Furious (sorry, I had to) Taco added ENOUGH fuel, or even had the capacity to add MORE fuel (no fuel delivery mods, just fuel metering mods) and that's why it went boom. I just wish he killed it racing something other a Civic... kinda makes that 3.4's death in vain.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:56 AM

WolfpackTLC, It was on a dyno. I think what went wrong was on the fuel side, not the air side. I had great control over the air side! It was a dry/wet kit with NO fuel mod's, I didn't know I had to watch the fuel so well!
I am going to drop it off this affernoon, with nothing but the MSD tach's on it(they are hard wired on) and we will see what they say?! If I do anything to it will be a supercharger with all the goodies! Well maybe lower the shot??!!
NX tacoma
Old 03-25-2004, 05:58 AM

OT:

Bumpin' Yota... you're in Gainsville? Cool. I used to work for Creative Acoustics back in the day when it was Jay vs. Alma vs. the world... I'm guessing since you're in Gainsville and using DD's, that you're running either MMATTS or USAmps... or am I WAY off now and is there something better? My old roommate was Erik Reid... dunno if you remember all these names..

J
Old 03-25-2004, 06:00 AM

Your stock pistons just can't handle that much nitrous. I'd be willing to bet that either you fried your piston rings and maybe even through a piston or two. Next time you start playing with nitrous, either use it very sparingly and in a lower shot and it won't harm your stock pistons (much) or change them out to forged ones.

But I agree with Galen's response. If you've got the money, go with F2Uning. They'll build you an engine that can handle whatever you throw at it... even 125 shot nitrous.

Last edited by Churnd; 03-25-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:04 AM

If I replace just the pistons, will that do me any good??
Old 03-25-2004, 06:06 AM

I want to see what the mech's say when they open her up?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:08 AM

You'll have to look and see. Usually, when a piston goes, other damage will follow... such as throwing a rod, etc. Did you look at the block and see if it had any holes in it that shouldnt be there? If it does, you need another engine, bottom line. If not, it might be replaceable depending on the extent of the damage.

With that much heat, the stuff starts getting too hot and melting to the point where they'll start friction welding themselves to each other. So it depends, and the only way to find out is crack the sucker open and look. Post pics if you can.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:28 AM

I understand how nitrous works. Yes it may cool you intake, but what about the rest of the engine 3x more explosion means more heat. 3x more explosion also puts an extreme stress on the pistons and rings that the stock ones aren't made to handle. Superchargers don't have this problem because they conpress the air to a level that is safe for the stock components, but it won't give you the same power. Eight of my friends have had nitrous, all of their engines are in the scrapyard, safe, possibly in moderaton, but most people like that big boost they get and overuse it leading their engine to the scrapyard.

Quick Reply: Well I did it, it's DEAD!!!!!