Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WAshingtonians

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAshingtonians

can anyone supply me with driving directions to a place called Reiter's pit in Sultan, WA? or the forest road in Auburn? or anywhere near from lynnwood area? I am a newbie that has never gone over anything over 2inches tall and I just refuse to sit around and wait for ppl to go with anymore b/c I have weekdays off. if anyone can help me with this It'd be much appreciated

thanks in advance guys(or girls)

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 05-14-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

I would STRONGLY recommend your going with a group until you have some experience under your belt. There are too many things that can go wrong on your own and solo is no way to make newbie mistakes.

But, to find Reiter Pit, Go East on Hiway 2 out of Monroe. Pass through Goldbar and Startup. When you get to Sultan, look for Rieter Road on your left. Follow Reiter Road until you get to a curve where the main road changes names. Stay to the right on the spur "Reiter Road". The pit will be on your left side.

N47 50.666 W121 37.842

You may also wish to try out Walker Valley ORV Park East of Marysville. N48 22.532 W122 10.183

But again, it easy to get in trouble alone while you are learning. Go with a friend.

Last edited by WATRD; 05-14-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:11 AM

thank you for the info. and i wasnt planning on climbing over stuff, i just wanted to check it out, scout the place, maybe go on some easy dirt roads, but again, i dont know what that area's like. I've been told that there are a lot of trails that are very easy even for a newbie like me...so hopefully i can ask around for more info I've heard there would be a lot of ppl offroading?? I dont know i'm really a dumb door knob when it comes to this *argh*
Old 05-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

There are TONS of trails out there that are suitable to a beginner, the problem is knowing which ones.

Trails at Reiter have a funny habit of looking easy at the beginning, right until you get to the "uh-oh" point and wonder what you have gotten yourself into. Watch yourself and back out EARLY.

Also, not all groups of off-roaders are as warm and fuzzy as you have found here. If you ask for directions, one of three things will happen. 1. You will accurate directions and advise. 2. You will get neutral info that doesn't really help. 3. You will get info designed to put you in an ugly situation.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks who think it's funny to do #3, especially if you do not wheel the same brand of rig as them. They will spot you as a newbie with your first words, so be careful and don't take what you hear as gospel.

Again, just so I can say I said it, your first few trips at minimum should be with a group, not solo. This if for your safety and so you have someone to learn from without making the expensive mistakes.

See my thread here regarding WATTORA at Reiter for a photo example of the obstacles that await you...
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 AM

*sigh* i guess i'll have to get a vacation time to go with my friend and his pathfinder then...I'd hate to be the clown that just did something stupid for everyone to laugh at. Thanks for your info hopefully I'll meet you there someday and get to stand next to you like you were my big brother hehe
Old 05-14-2003, 10:40 AM

Hey me and my friends are planning a run up to reiters pit on the 25th. Some people from your general area are coming with, your welcome to come. All the trucks are more or less stock. Any Idea where Duvall is?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Reiter Pit is fun. But, like WATRD said, go with someone. My friend submerged his lifted Wrangler in a bog there. Took 4 hours and a broken Chevy transfer case to get him out. Not fun.

Pretty spot though!

4-Wheelers are especially fun there, if you have them.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:09 PM

Hey, if you want to go to walker valley, I'll meet you there. I've never been, but I've got a map of the trails. I've got the same problem. My friend says he'll go 4wheelin with me but never has the time. I might be meeting up with the Faith wheelers crew down at Evan's Creek on the 24th.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So... did you guys get to chatting about doing this? Do ya' want some more company? A friend and I would love to come out with you. We'd be in my rig - she's preferring to keep hers clean for now!

We are _RANK_ newbies and have never been in the dirt. We know enough to not go out alone and are looking for someone to be a teacher and a guide. WATRD? Do ya' need a new case of beer?

EDIT: I just found the mention of your Trail 101 class in the Summer Jam thread. I'm SOO there!

We've got a bunch of questions... What do we need on our rigs? What do we bring? What should we expect? How long is a normal trip? Can I wear a pink Izod and top-siders??

My truck is rank stock when it comes to suspension and tires. Plus the tires have 30k on them or so. Is this okay?

WATRD, I saw the Reiter thread (ref: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9936) and the story of the broken transfer case brings up the worry of repair bills. Should I expect to break something? Or is it possible to start trail riding at a slow enough pace that I won't have to worry about maxing out my Visa card?

Last edited by midiwall; 05-17-2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
We are _RANK_ newbies and have never been in the dirt. We know enough to not go out alone and are looking for someone to be a teacher and a guide. WATRD? Do ya' need a new case of beer?

We've got a bunch of questions... What do we need on our rigs? What do we bring? What should we expect? How long is a normal trip? Can I wear a pink Izod and top-siders??

WATRD, I saw the Reiter thread (ref: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9936) and the story of the broken transfer case brings up the worry of repair bills. Should I expect to break something? Or is it possible to start trail riding at a slow enough pace that I won't have to worry about maxing out my Visa card?
hehhehe The pink Izod is out! ehheheh

The saying about off-roading is "You gotta pay to play", referring to the damage that can be had. There is always a certain risk involved. But, with that said, many runs are quite suitable to inexperienced drivers in stock rigs, with risks that can be mitigated.

Keep your eyes open for an upcoming run that is listed as "suitable for beginners" and be up front with everyone at the drivers meeting that you are just starting out and need some hand holding. We will look out for you and try to advise you when you are about to do something silly. One of the nice things about the Toyota crowd that I have noticed is that they look our for each other instead of trying to dare each other into doing risky things like some of the Jeepers I have hung out with.

Once you get some experience under your belt and go with a group a few times, you will begin to get a feel for what you and your rig can do safely and will begin to develop a comfort zone that you can stretch as you feel more confident. At first, most everything will get your blood-pressure up, so go with folks you trust to steer you right.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Ditto on what Rob said. Mark, I've organized and gone on a couple of basic runs without any damage. The old adage is that off-roading is bout 20% vehicle, 80% driver. My first run was on Tinkham Rd. up in the Cascades not too far from Seattle, and it was nice and easy, a great way to get a feel for your vehicle. I'm going to post for a local ride over on the trail planning section for a couple weeks from now, but if you ever want to head out just PM me. There are a boat-load of local riders around here, alot of whom have pretty basic vehicles who aren't ready to hurt them too badly.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:35 AM

Cool guys, thanks for the responses...

I'm not worried about spending money on the rig, it's more of that I don't want to end up replacing a tire _every_ time I go out, or sucking mud through the manifold - that type of big stuff. Especially never having been exposed to trails at all in a 4-wheel vehicle!

Mark
Old 05-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Mark,

One thing you might want to do before heading out is extend your rear diff breather- its an easy mod that most of us have done. Eliminates the risk of getting water in your rear differential. As far as getting water in the intake, one thing I've found out from most of the toyota off-roaders is that its not a crazy, testosterone-filled crowd, unlike some other groups. There are exceptions in every case, but basically no one is going to call you a p**ssy if you bypass a particular challenge. At the end of the day, you're the one who has to pay for the repairs, etc. So, I've gone around sections that I didn't feel safe doing, and didn't lose face in the process. As was mentioned earlier, if you go out in a group, you're going to have people around that are going to help you out in a fix.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
Cool guys, thanks for the responses...

I'm not worried about spending money on the rig, it's more of that I don't want to end up replacing a tire _every_ time I go out, or sucking mud through the manifold - that type of big stuff. Especially never having been exposed to trails at all in a 4-wheel vehicle!

Mark
Stick with this crowd and they will set you up. Except for a couple of crazy's that drift through from time to time, the regulars love their rigs just as much as you do and likely remember their first run and what it felt like to be starting out.

When you see a run announced, look to see who is leading it and look back at their posts to see what type of wheeler you are looking at. From there, see who's going and what the level of testosterone is...
Old 05-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

One word of caution
Keep an eye out for them flying Nissan's in the area

Old 05-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Who's white 4Runner is that in the background?

2001Millrunner, if you are interested in the Greenwater area that I have posted pics of here before, look on my website near the top.
I have some links to the past few runs up in that area.

Last weekend Dale had an outing for that area, and most posts are planned in the Trail Report section.

There are endless fireroads up on FS roads 70 & 72 that go for hundreds of miles.

And as was mentioend, it's best to go with a few others, less easy to get lost that way too.
A CB is a must on any outing if you have not installed one yet.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toddski
One word of caution
Keep an eye out for them flying Nissan's in the area

What was the outcome of the Pathfinder jumping? Holy cow!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Who's white 4Runner is that in the background?

2001Millrunner, if you are interested in the Greenwater area that I have posted pics of here before, look on my website near the top.
I have some links to the past few runs up in that area.

Last weekend Dale had an outing for that area, and most posts are planned in the Trail Report section.
Thanks for that Corey... I've been keeping an eye on the Trail Report section - now that I found it. I was actually thinking o fheading down to Milton this weekend, but with the weather, it doesn't look like it's gonna be a newbie run.

There are endless fireroads up on FS roads 70 & 72 that go for hundreds of miles.
I had a question about this... Is it legal for the general public to drive on them, or do you guys approach a ranger and get permission?

And as was mentioend, it's best to go with a few others, less easy to get lost that way too.
Absolutely.

A CB is a must on any outing if you have not installed one yet.
I pick it up on Friday morning, and it'll be stuck on channel 4.

I'm also looking to start one of the box projects to get more storage space in the back end. It's clear that stuff flopping around back there just ain't the way to go.

Wahoo! No more posing for me!

(now, where's that pink Izod?)
Old 05-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Mark,

Just finished my box a couple weeks ago, let me know if you want any suggestions/help.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...2420#post82420

That thread has a couple pictures of my box. Fire service roads are generally public access, unless they have a gate across them.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
96Runner, look on my website for the outcome of the Nissan.
On my trip report for the Fall Colors run last November, look on page II of it and there are links to vids.
Mike (smr4runner) has some on his page, and it's linked on page II of my trip report.

Also on page II is an awesome huge video hi-lighting our days activities, and you can see the Nissan rolling.
A tree stopped him, or he would have gone over all the way down a very steep embankment.

Jim's (Mytruck on the forum) wife took a pic and stitched it together.
This is Scott winching the Nissan out after the roll.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/runs/11_9...20Image001.jpg

Here is a 4.90 vid of the Nissan getting air, then the roll.
Now for the huge 25 mb vid, it's best to right click the link here and save it, then view it.
It's an awesome vid.
http://www.digitalpimp.org/~john/Vid...Greenwater.wmv
Dr. Z stitched it together for us.

mpulver, all you have to do is go up to Greenwater FS road 70, 72, or even 73 and just explore.
No permit needed, no ranger needed to talk to either.
You have to be street legal, as they are considered roads.
But there are plenty of trails off to the sides of the roads.
Some of the roads can be quite challenging, as they get very steep and narrow, and rocky .
Watch the vids on this page when Todd & I went up last.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/runs/41203/4_12_2003.htm

I have been going up to that same area sine about '88, and have not hardly even put a dent in the roads.
There really are hundreds of miles of trails up there that go all over the mountain range.