Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Warn Powerplant HD on 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would bring that tube out a little farther from the hood. if its there for protection it'll need another inch or 2 to do to be effective, other than that looking good

Last edited by MillerPKA; 11-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

yea i thought about that, but i think itll still be effective, or atleast i hope so. the base is built out of 3x8 box steel.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
BWJ, have you ever connected up a OBDII scanner and gotten your actual coolant temps with that setup?
I have not done that as of yet. I have not had any cooling issues, and I have had this set-up for about 2 summers. I might have to do that though. Thanks!

Regards,

BWJ
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

The long awaited bumper has been installed for about a month and half now. It needs a little work lights and winched installed, but it turned out great and was a great price.

Heres my only concern, it attaches using original mounts. Will those be strong enough for a 12k winch. I havnt installed it but I am going to. How much will those mounts withstand?

That is where it attaches.

Other than that the bumper is really well built. Input is greatly appreciated.

Turner
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The end flanges for the stock 4runner bumper was never intended to be "pulled on", rather they were meant to be "pushed on" in a collision.

That being said you should cut them off and do the end cap mod as seen on the WTORA web page. http://www.nwtoys.com/tech/frame-endcap.

I did the above end cap mod and have a 9.5XP warn and have done some really HARD pulls and my bumper hasn't moved an hair on the improved mounts.

One thing to consider with having a 12K winch is side pulls. The 4runner and taco frames are not the strongest and if you try a hard angle/side pull situation with a winch that large you might bend the ends of the frame rails.

That's why most guys go with the 6K and 9K winches, because the winch will normally stall before it causes frame damage.

FOG
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why would you want such a large winch??????

you could get a smaller 8K or 9K winch and OBA for cheaper....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by wyorunner
Heres my only concern, it attaches using original mounts. Will those be strong enough for a 12k winch. I havnt installed it but I am going to. How much will those mounts withstand?

That is where it attaches.

Turner
Turner,
No, your mounts woiuld not hold hard pull. As it was mentioned they were never designed for it. My ARB has 5 bolts in diferent directions holding each mount (not using stock, frame only). See stock mounts are on the end plate which lightly welded to the frame. I don't think in your case bolt will fail, it would most likely rip off that plate from the frame. Weld a few more plates to your bumper and make a custom mount. You can use 2 bolts for tow hooks which are just behind that mounting plate on the bottom of the frame. and make a few holes yourself.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you use a snatch block and double your line back to a frame mounted pull point it will take half the load off the winch bumper. http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you use a snatch block and double your line back to a frame mounted pull point it will take half the load off the winch bumper. http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
actually it is still gonna be pulling all 12k lbs of force on the bumper and then 12k lbs on the frame at the worst case scenario, but in any if your runner only needs 8k to get it unstuck then doubling it up would half the force needed...... but your not always going to be able to double your line, gonna need a lot of line.......

and that snatch block isn't big enough, rated 20k lb's and the winch can put 24k through it.

Last edited by crolison; 02-12-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crolison
actually it is still gonna be pulling all 12k lbs of force on the bumper and then 12k lbs on the frame at the worst case scenario, but in any if your runner only needs 8k to get it unstuck then doubling it up would half the force needed...... but your not always going to be able to double your line, gonna need a lot of line.......

and that snatch block isn't big enough, rated 20k lb's and the winch can put 24k through it.
Geez, it was just something to help some, I didn't mean for it to solve all problems. So get a bigger one, what's the line rated for any way?

How many times are you going need even 12,000 lbs of force to get a 4000-5000 lb truck going?

I agree his bumper mount is probably too weak, but I'd have to see the thing in person to say for sure.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 AM

And not true about the snatch block. I suggest putting a longer line on it, if needed. And if you look in the right places you can find the same Snatch blocks we use in case of emergencies. We have a couple that withstand unto 35k. We use it for our ceiling mounted winchs and on a couple recovery vehicles.

I cant remember the name of the company that makes them but I will check for sure monday.

I also suggest doing the end cap mod. Ive had several winches pull the front bumper strait off like it was not even held on. Granted that was a piss ton amount of weight that was being pulled but none the less it bends the whole frame and torques it quite alot. If you wanna use a large winch you have to prep your truck for it. It was never designed to withstand the pressure and the weight pull. Like stated above. It is made to push in not pull out.

Sorry didnt have much on the ways of help but just a reaffirming on the latter posted.

- Mark
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What about reinforcing the frame's endplates? Maybe weld some angle iron behind them to tie them back to the frame rail? That would strengthen the connection between the end plate and frame rail. I am considering doing this when I build a winch bumper this spring/summer. Then I can use the existing bumper mounting holes too. (I also plan on using the 2 tow hook mount holes in the bottom of the frame.)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many times are you going need even 12,000 lbs of force to get a 4000-5000 lb truck going?
More like 5000-6000lb truck that thing doesn't weigh 4k lbs.....

I've stalled out my winch a couple of times with my truck....
Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM

First of all reason for 12k winch, which i already own just havnt mounted, is because i want to be as self reliant as possible in case of an emergency and ill be pulling a trailer in those emergencies. ill easily weigh in at 8-10k with loaded trailer, and truck. insane i know but thats the case. I did think about doing the angle iron to original mount but have since decided to do something of the sort of the end cap mod with braces to the tow hook points.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crolison
More like 5000-6000lb truck that thing doesn't weigh 4k lbs.....

I've stalled out my winch a couple of times with my truck....
Ok, lets say it weighs 10K lbs and you get stuck and its going to take 12,000 lbs of force to pull it out. Would you rather apply 12K lbs of force to the bumper alone or use a snatch block and apply 6000 lbs to the bumper and 6000 lbs to another tow point?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:17 AM

Goat, yes i do think it would be easier on the truck if using a snatch block. I wasnt ruling snatch blocks out, considering when i get it installed ill have atleast one in my recovery bag. I still dont think using a snatch block and a tow point the original frame mounts will hold out more than one or two pulls. I dont want that to happen when im along ways anywhere.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I agree get that bumper mounted solid to the frame whether its 6000 lbs or 12000 lbs pulling on it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-13-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyorunner
ill easily weigh in at 8-10k with loaded trailer, and truck.
The 4Runner front frame was never designed to have a winch on it pulling it's own weight out (4,000LBS) much less the 8-10K your talking about.

Add to that if your in mud the effective pulling weight load will be higher than the physical weight because of the friction of the mud. So your 8-10K rig will now end up needing the full 12K that the winch can provide.

So at 12K your talking about TRIPLE the weight of the vehicle being applied to a frame end frame that was NEVER designed to handle the weight of the vehicle alone.

And the use of a snatch block is irrelevant, because your still going to have to hook the other end of the cable back to the 4runner. And the only suitable place is on the tow hook which is part of the frame.

So you still have all of that weight on the front end of the frame snatch block or not.

Trying to use it to pull out your 4K 4runner PLUS A 4-6K trailer IS going to result in damage.

FOG
Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FogRunner
And the use of a snatch block is irrelevant, because your still going to have to hook the other end of the cable back to the 4runner. And the only suitable place is on the tow hook which is part of the frame.
I wasn't really talking about using those stock tie down points, I meant a good custom tow point bolted to the frame, of course separate from the bumper mounting.

You are right though those numbers are way beyond what the vehicle was designed for and redesigned/re-engineered solution is needed. But that's what custom bumpers is all about.

Another thing that might help out at some point is to consider unhooking the trailer for the recovery process and once the truck is out then recover the trailer.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-13-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Warn Powerplant HD on 3rd Gen 4Runner