Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

waddaya think it's worth???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell the Honda and use that money to reduce what you owe on it. Then make bigger payments as your finances allow.

Once it's paid off you'll have a darn good reason to justify keeping it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 PM

Somewhere you said you are buying the TL (even when it lacks in size) and you are going to buy a 100 series LC. I thought one of your points was to save money, but it only looks like you will spend more or still have payments and for a longer time.

I do like the 100 series and did look at them when getting the 4runner, but do you actually need the space on a daily basis? I have a kid now and 70 plus lbs lab, and they both fit in the back seat. We carry plenty of junk on our trips but I havn't yet had to get a roof box, rack or hitchthingy. Sure a second kid would make me consider, but I can still cart around my inlaws even with the baby seat in the middle and a dog in the cargo area.

It sounds like you wife wants something bigger for every day but my guess is she does not need it. You could de-mod the 4runner and make it more pratical for everyday use. Sell the mods or keep them if you get the itch to wheel more later on.
Then use the TL/honda for your everyday commute (or find a used camry if you need more space). If you want something awd/4wd, big and comfortable you might have to consider a Pilot over the LC

On cartalk they came up with a good point. If you need a big car for the occassional roadtrip then rent, it fars out beats the monthly payment and maintainance of a big vehicle.

You will loose on selling it and getting a Lexus/LC. My choice would be to hold on to it until you actually have a second kid and see if you can afford the extra payments.

No easy decissions so good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, I know what your talking about with your wife taking everything. My mom does it! When I was little, my dad had a Honda Accord because he drove ALOT. When I came along and we started going places she packed averything under the sun, and that thing got really small. So then he got her a '98 Expedition back in '98 and what does she do? Packs more stuff, filling the Expedition pretty much full. So this year my dad got a '06 Superduty for trips and stuff. We took just a weekend trip after getting, and what does she do? fills the cab and bed full of stuff (it has a canopy)! The concensus is: the bigger the rig, the more stuff women pack.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

For what it's worth I just paid $12k for my 2000 totally stock 4runner limited with e-locker with 85k miles on it. Not sure if you could bring that much in with 150k miles on the clock even with the mods. You never get your money back from the mods. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Your truck is an inspiration to newbies like myself.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't sell your truck man. FWIW, i thought that when you posted up on pirate about having a hardcore 4runner, you were right. You just built a new rear bumper, and it's pretty sick. Well, i understand that things have to have priorities, hope you hold on to it.

On the other hand, Rocket is looking for a new ride, you two should talk.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Mark my words, after the second kid comes along and you're trying fit the stoller, Pack-N-Play, baby food/breat bump, diaper bag, usual luggage for 4, and the ridiculous amounts of Christmas gifts the Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles showered the kids with (not to mention a few of yours/wifes) into a UZJ/LX, you'll be cursing yourself cause it won't fit. Mine & my wifes parents (the GP's) live within a few miles of each other, so returning after Christmas is loaded to the gills. Two things I've learned is Grandparents love to spoil your kids and young children's toys are NEVER small nor symetrical! Same goes for the beach trips. The superior gas mileage on a daily basis, lesser insurance, and ability to carry the world if needed = good value.

Who says you need to drop $35K to get a minivan?!? It bought a pristine 5 year old newer model minivan w/ a 3.3L and 103K on it for $3K, 5 years ago. Its now 10 years old w/ 162K on it and runs like a top (although it recently developed a small patch of skin cancer on the rear passenger rocker panel). Its substancially less to insure (minimal coverage at this point), I haven't had a car payment for nearly 4 years, has a ton of room for the kids to move around/stretch their fidgety/whiney legs while on long trips, and hauls tons of crap. All while getting considerably better mileage than my Runner. Can't say I love it, but until the SOB blows up, I'm gonna run it (then I'll likely be look for a very slightly used Sienna/Odessy for her to drive... while I smiling in my 5 year old 4Runner).

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-15-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Andy really wants a Pontiac Aztec.

He's just too shy to post it here.

Bring your diapers...

Passenger Side

Drivers Side

3-6-2006, we won't be selling, he'll be swapping.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok... thanks for the input. the money really isn't the issue. to be honest, the payment is $325 a month + insurance and registration - less than $400 per month total. honestly - it's almost nothing in the grand scheme of our current finances.

i just hate to see it sit and not get used - cause i know that's what's going to happen.

last night after a few glasses of wine, i brought it up w/ the wife what i've been thinking and wanted to get her opinion... her response? "Absolutely NOT." she said under no circumstances would she support me in selling it. (how many times do you see a significant other of someone here say something like that??? ) "not with all the time and effort that you've put into it" and the fact that she loves to drive and ride in it. she doesn't wheel, but she loves the way it "looks" - and even drives it to work from time to time for a change of pace. she agreed that since money isn't the true issue, then what's the point.

in the long run, i concur with all of you and with her. as long as it isn't a big deal on the $400 a month - which right now and the forseeable future, it isn't - then why the hell NOT keep it... so, as the world turns, so the runner stays...

thanks for telling me how it is and whipping some sense into me.

regardless, the honda will be sold, the TL will be sold or turned in on the lease, the acura GS 6-speed will continue to be my DD, and we'll get a LX or UZJ for the wife to drive and to take on trips. the runner will officially be the "fun" vehicle - aka: weekend warrior and trial rig.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-15-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
I just hate to see it sit and not get used when I swap it - cause i know that's what's going to happen.
Yeah it might take some time.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Banned

ss: why do i need to swap to do that?

may 2006: ss learns how to wheel, hillbilly-style.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

may 2006: ss learns how to wheel, hillbilly-style.
Just to clarify, laws of wheeling "hillbilly-style" restrict the use of any/all minivans. All other methods of transport are eligible (literally). Beer is required.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Banned

don't forget the obligatory CD burned with dueling banjos and, lynyrd skynyrd, and george strait...
Old 02-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Can't forget Bocephus! Cause Lord knows a Country Boy Can Survive...
Old 02-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Uh, did we finish up this thread right back where we started? :pat:

Should we teach SS about snipe hunting?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

oh man. i bet there's TONS of snipe in the hills around crawfords.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm also your wife slapped you back to your senses. Now bring that sucker up to SE4RJ3 and lets do some wheeling.

Yep, I bet there are TONS of snipe up in dem dare hills.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

yeah, she did.

now, back to the regularly scheduled program...

1. either get these damn GY MTR's balanced right or swap them for some that will.
2. remove the rear downeys and put in the FZJ coils that i have and sell off the downeys
3. if the rear looks OK, then take out the 2nd top plate spacer to get it 1/2" lower - like it was when i first got the 305's last summer and back where i like it - as low as possible and still clear the tires.
4. take the extra sheet steel that i have in the garage and build custom skids or just add to OEM skids for load distribution - either way, i need some underbelly protection. add a diff plate as well.
5. get back on track for a rear fuel cell as an aux tank.

and all that AFTER i get the accord painted and sold.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

and all that AFTER i get the accord painted and sold.
Are there any pics of this fore mentioned Accord?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Banned

i wonder if you'll have time to do the swap in between march 6 and may 11...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett1478
i wonder if you'll have time to do the swap in between march 6 and may 11...
uhhhh, not just a NO, but HELL NO.

accord... 1990 2dr EX, Blk on Tan, 5speed, 278k miles...

when i got it

after a wheel/tire swap and fixing the dent on the rear quarter.

i have since fixed the dent on the driver's door and started to pull everything off for a repaint. after it gets sprayed, it will be on ebay.

Quick Reply: waddaya think it's worth???