Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

waddaya think it's worth???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey old man... dust off your reading glasses and read what i'm typing here...

i'm not considering selling due to it being inadequate, broke, etc, or to find a bigger, better, badder replacement. more than anything, just to "get out of the game" for a few years until time warrants such a vehicle... now do you get where i'm coming from?

as far as taking the kids goes - I'D LOVE TO. yeah, Clay's only two-and-a-half now, so next summer, he'll probably be wheeling w/ me - if i have the time w/ helping the wife w/ a newborn at home.

like i said, i'm not in a hurry to do anything, and i don't HAVE to do anything. just weighing my options.

thanks for all the input. i really do appreciate it.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-14-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:17 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm gonna have to start taking mine in the "black monster truck" soon, as they and the neighborhood kids call it.

They already want to go "camping". :pat:

Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
the other option is always to go back to some 285 or 305 AT's and still DD it from time to time.
If wheeling time is already down to once/twice a year and is only expected to decline, drop the 4.30 back in an run 285's to reclaim a few MPG and use it as your DD. Mine still gets around +\-20 with mixed interstate/town driving. Sell the Acura & Honda and pocket the revenue and yearly insurance/taxes to offset the lesser gas mileage of the Runner as a DD for a few more years. Beats taking a loss on selling the Runner as is, and saves a ton of time/headaches parting it out.

Why full coverage on a '99 w/ 150K?? If its because you still owe the bank, contact the lender and see if they'll allow any other coverage options. If nothing else, look at a home equity loan to cover the Runner, other car payments, and any CC debit/school loans. Consolidate them all into the home equity, then reduce the insurance coverage.

With a wife, two little one (5 & 6), a 70lb Lab to leave room for, and both Grandparents 3+ hour away, I know what it's like to haul a ton of stuff. Especially over birthdays/Christmas. I refused to upgrade my rear bumper since most don't have receivers due to departure angles/liability. My cargo carrier (carcass carrier in hunting season) and a huge Rubbermaid tub adds precious cargo space, without cutting into the MPG. All four of us ski too, so image how much crap that adds on top of all the usual stuff. Picked up an aluminum roof basket (minimize weight/rust) and weather proof soft top for longer trips (although I try to minimize its use since it does slightly reduce MPG). Teach your wife to pack a bit lighter (which a smaller vehicle will inevitably do) and keep the Runner as your DD and outdoor/winter trips, then buy something roomier, yet more economical for the brood hauler.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NOTHING beats a minivan when it comes to traveling with little people. I can probably haul more than most pickups, and still have room for the dog to lounge and the wife can easily access both kids if they should need anything (which they ALWAYS do). I was in denial until we made our annual beach run in one.

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-14-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

You won't be as busy as you think and it's nice to get away.

Dollars to doughnuts, working on the Big Black Monster truck is Brians way of getting some alone time, which everyone needs from time to time.

It is honorable that you are real into this, but even the toughest of Warriors or super Mom's do need a break. A side hobby is important to. Even if you don't work on it all the time.

I think Brett had some good things to say about the race car. I related well to that one.

Personally I think buying a 100 would be the mistake. But that's me.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:18 AM

I am in a similar situation. I am selling my jeep. We currently have a 93 Corolla, 01 4Runner and my 92 Jeep, which I love. It has gone through many lift/tire setups, driveline mods, etc and is currently sitting on 35s with 4.88s and e-lockers. Has suspension seats, better than stock roll cage, bumpers, etc. However, we are trying to pay off part of our house. I bought it on an 80/20 in '04 knowing my wife would start working late '05. We are trying to pay off the 20 and in doing so, I am selling my jeep - and it drives great! It was built to DD and wheel on the weekends, but I find myself driving the Corolla everyday and the jeep just sits.

The worst part is all the mods. If it were stock, I wouldnt feel quite so connected, I have spent time and money getting it to be "just right". There are always stock vehicles to find. But its the mods that get you. But then again, you can always buy those. The biggest thing that you have done to your 4runner that would be cost intensive would be the painting of the cladding and the bumpers.

So what if you sell it? In 5 years, you decide you want another 4runner. You buy a '02 sport, add an ARB bumper, lift, wheels and tires, 4.56 gears and arbs. You dont have to worry about painting anything, it already has the hood scoop, and may have fewer miles. Or maybe you decide that you want to run 265/75s and enjoy a stock runner (maybe add in a locker).

What if you dont? It sits there. You dont DD it, you dont take it on trips. It takes up space, has a payment, and costs money for insurance.

Bottom line - I would put a price on it and try to sell. If it hasnt sold in a month or two, put it back to "stock", part out the rest and sell it. My jeep is sitting in my front yard with For Sale signs on it. If I find some stock axles soon, I will be parting out all the mods, putting it on some 31-33s and selling it.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

funny how you list the PAINT as the most intensive part of it.

that's actually one of the LEAST of my worries. there's 10X more "value" in mods on it than the value of the paint work. by the way, the paint was almost nothing as far as expenses go - i did the paint myslef for about $200 in materials...

there's the ARB Sahara, the winch w/ amsteel, IPF fogs and driving lights, scooped hood, sliders, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, 4.56 gears and new master install kits front and rear, ARB Air Lockers front and rear with ARB compressor, full suspension upgrade/lift, body lift, air suspension bags in the rear with a compressor, husky liners, audio system, electric fan, etc, etc, etc...

last of all these is the paint....

Last edited by bamachem; 02-14-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 AM

it will be about $400 a month for it to just sit there.
wow... that's tough. I know I couldn't do it, but that's with my financial situation, not sure what your finances are like. If the $400 a month hurts you, then get rid of it. If it's just wasteful, but doesn't really affect how you live/spend, then consider keeping it until you know for sure what you want to do.

As you know, I'm in a similar boat with my 4Runner. The difference is that my truck is paid for, so all I have to do is keep it insured, which is pretty inexpensive. If you're still making payments then that changes things. Do you still have a bunch of payments left, or are you getting close to having it paid off? I don't want to get rid of my truck for something else because I don't want payments. You've already got them, and $400/mo would afford you a pretty nice vehicle.

If you were to sell it, how much would you need to get to make it worth while? I thought I remembered reading that you wanted $16k, but couldn't find the number when I went back to quote you. Realistically, I think you'd have a very hard time getting that much money for it. A lot of your mods will have wide spread apeal (gears, locker, lift, sliders, etc), but haven't you also done some of the "less obvious" stuff (pan hard, diff drop, etc etc)? That stuff is pretty specific to our trucks, and it won't have the apeal to someone new to wheeling or coming over from some other make. Parting it out would be very tedious... would you rather sell it quickly and lose a little money, or part it out, but take 3 months to get it sold?

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell it. I just can't justify $400/mo on a truck that never gets used. The question becomes should you sell it as is or part it out? If the mods are paid for and you just need to pay off what you owe, I'd sell it as is and take a small loss on the mods. If not, then you should probably part it out to try to recoup as much of your investment as possible.

There... my $.02 - take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 02-14-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM

funny how you list the PAINT as the most intensive part of it.

last of all these is the paint....

Ha, yeah, ok, so it wasnt the most difficult or expensive I actually would have thought it cost more. I also didnt realize that you had so many mods - I guess they add up quickly once you start listing them. But many of the mods are pretty easy to get rid of - the hard part is finding stock stuff to replace it and then taking the time out to do it. Thats my problem. Its not hard to get rid of a bumper, but finding a replacement may be tougher. And knowing that my jeep will be half disassembled in my garage for an indeterminable amount of time stinks. All in all, I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes its just time to say goodbye, knowing that you can always re-build if you choose to do so. Toyota and Jeep put out a TON of vehicles, you can always find another.

Last edited by Road Head; 02-14-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by hillbilly
I've said it before and I'll say it again, NOTHING beats a minivan when it comes to traveling with little people. I can probably haul more than most pickups, and still have room for the dog to lounge and the wife can easily access both kids if they should need anything (which they ALWAYS do). I was in denial until we made our annual beach run in one.
Preach on brother! The rest of them will learn...or be assimilated.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
You won't be as busy as you think and it's nice to get away.

Dollars to doughnuts, working on the Big Black Monster truck is Brians way of getting some alone time, which everyone needs from time to time.

It is honorable that you are real into this, but even the toughest of Warriors or super Mom's do need a break. A side hobby is important to. Even if you don't work on it all the time.

I think Brett had some good things to say about the race car. I related well to that one.

Personally I think buying a 100 would be the mistake. But that's me.

Preach on brother! Amen!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-14-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Andy, that $400/month would be hard for me to sit with every month. Luckily mine is paid for and only costs me $600/year for full coverage insurance (which I may reduce soon) and about $100/year or so for a tag.

I still say pay that thing off, if you're able and keep it. Don't listen to Wabbit, minivans are NOT the shiznet.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Banned

With one small child, sure, no big deal on not having a mini-van...but with two small children or more...they are the shiznet. We'll ditch the mini-van when the boys are older, but for now...it rocks.

You guys are just trying way too hard to hang onto your "coolness"..."cool" marches on...and leaves you with a mini-van and laughs at you.

Have little kids. Get a mini-van. Grow old and spend their inheritance on a trail rig.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Have little kids. Get a mini-van. Grow old and spend their inheritance on a trail rig.

I'll keep my current cars and give them an inheritance!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with more little rugrats on the way, you should definately try and reduce any extra expenses (doesn't have to mean selling the 4runner, but you'd have to make the choice that it was worth the money to have it) because god knows kids are expensive to say the least. I went through the same thing with my 4runner, but I went the other way because mine is paid off (I couldn't justify adding payments for Tundra or Sequoia yet). So despite the vehicle being almost 10 years old now, I decided to keep it and have it give me a few more years of service. Who knows, I may be the last one left on YT with a 3rd gen soon.

......I don't care how much crap a minivan can hold, it ain't getting parked in my driveway!
I'll own a bright yellow school bus first.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
......I don't care how much crap a minivan can hold, it ain't getting parked in my driveway!
I'll own a bright yellow school bus first.

Preach on! as Wabbit would say
Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragr1
Preach on! as Wabbit would say
Even my wife said NO WAY on the minivan.
.....you won't catch me going back for a second vote.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

same here. we both like the uzj/lx for it's size, durability, dependability, etc. no minivan here. i would rather pay $25k for a used uzj/lx w/ 70k on it and get 13/16 MPG and have a nice ride and residual value 10 years from now than get a new minivan for $35k and have 19-25 MPG and loose value faster than you can keep up with.

no thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm feeling your pain brother. Two young kids and not a vehicle on the market that REALLY meets all my needs and expectations.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
JGM

Andy - these guys have said all there is to say, and personally, I agree with not buying a 100 series. Bigger car, bigger payment, more risk (insurance), more gas, etc. But you have to do what you think is best, without a doubt.

Here is my prediction (from many years as an inventory manager at an aerospace plant) - if you have empty room, you fill it. Law of nature. Don't buy a bigger vehicle thinking your family will have more space - it only means you will have MORE junk to haul around when you take trips.

My 2 cents - good luck! Sorry you have to go through this!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JGM
Andy - these guys have said all there is to say, and personally, I agree with not buying a 100 series. Bigger car, bigger payment, more risk (insurance), more gas, etc. But you have to do what you think is best, without a doubt.

Here is my prediction (from many years as an inventory manager at an aerospace plant) - if you have empty room, you fill it. Law of nature. Don't buy a bigger vehicle thinking your family will have more space - it only means you will have MORE junk to haul around when you take trips.

My 2 cents - good luck! Sorry you have to go through this!

That is the absolute truth! It's the American way! and probably why so many people in other countries don't like us.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Here is my maniacal rant from a father of a 14 month old who actually went through with selling a modded 4runner....

Rear facing child seats sucks, they take up more room in the backseat than a large adult and there isn't that much room in the back of a 4runner to start with. I am happy with my 05, i wouldn't wheel my 1997 4runner even modded out that much, I would rather have a nice useful vehicle (the 05) and a cheap beater to wheel. Family comes first. Car payments suck, especially on a 7 year old vehicle, and you will never get what you want or even think is fair out of a modded vehicle.

FWIW, I sold my 1997 limited with 150k miles, same lift you have, with manual hub conversion for $9100 and sold my front and rear ARB'd 3rd's separately and got about $1500 out of them. I didn't have sliders or bumpers. The mileage is what hurt my 4runner the most, it was in great shape and ran perfect but the mileage scared the crap out of everyone.

At this point i am glad that i have my tacoma, more back seat space, i love trucks, it will take my family camping, and do light wheeling (just like your 100 would). When i have the time/money/desire to get into the "hard-core" offroading i will buy a samurai, put toyota axles under it, 35's, and call it done. My wife doesn't particularly like wheeling but she loves camping so i have no use for a "hardcore" wheeler that can take my whole family.

I do miss my 4runner sometimes, but it was also completely paid for and costing me next to nothing. However, if i still had it i don't think i would be happy with it because logic and lack of time would keep me from wheeling it as hard as i wanted too.

Ultimately, do what will make you happy, most people on this web-site don't wheel nearly enough to justify the mods they have done to their vehicles and at some point they realize that they have a lot of money invested in something and they receive little return on it and have to make a lot of compromises in their day to day use of it due to the mods.

I would rather have a stock or lightly modded 100 that i can take my family camping in once a month than a highly modified 4runner that is still too nice to really thrash and use it twice a year. I get the impression you feel the same way.

Quick Reply: waddaya think it's worth???