Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

In virginia?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a trail in Blacksburg on Brush Mountain. If you're familiar with Blacksburg, it is out on the road between Kroger and University Mall
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm in the Hampton Roads area.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM

Spent 93-98 in the 'Burg, if you've been there for more than 6 months & don't know where Brush Mountain is FIND OUT!!!, currently reside in Southside Richmond... I think I can make a March run...
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Maybe

I might have my ride ready by then. How hard are these trails? I'm new to this the only wheelin I've done is on the beach @ OBX. I know I won't have sliders for sure are these needed if you don't want to get banged up?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM

There's a trail in Blacksburg on Brush Mountain. If you're familiar with Blacksburg, it is out on the road between Kroger and University Mall
Take 460 out of B'burg. There is a forest road at the top of the hill before you go down toward Pandapas Pond. There is also a forest road on the next ridge that will lead back down toward the Pond, but also connects back through Poverty Creek. These roads are pretty tame, but Poverty Creek used to be pretty neglected. There are also other small tracks going off from these.

A fun trail I used to visit was at the end of Preston Forest Rd. Go out Mt. Tabor Road and take a left into the Preston Forest subdivision. Keep going up to the end.

Also, across 460 from Pandapas Pond is Craig Creek Rd. It's a right turn at the bottom of the 460 hill. Go way back. Keep going. There's a bunch of small trails and sometimes the main road is bad enough to be fun, but it's the little exporations are are the best. Road 651 was one we used to have some fun with. We used to camp out at Caldwell Fields and get into all sorts of trouble. If nothing else, it's good exploration if you are bored.

Good times. I need move back there.

MadCityRich
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM

Dewds......

Thanks for the info on the Blacksburg area trails. I need to hit those up soon.

As for the rock sliders question....you don't need armor on the main trails of Shoe Creek, Big Levels or Flagpole Rd. You may need armour if you've had a few barley-pops and think you want to try some of the side-trail obstaces.

Maybe some snow chains too (www.tirechains.com) if there's more than 12" in the trail...or ice. My crew and I spent about 7 hours trying to get up Shoe Creek one winter. Lotsa deep snow with plenty of ice under it. No one had snow chains at that point. We lost a Jeep over the side that trip too. Yikes!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Shoe Creek Trip Feb 8-10

Oh yeah...we just decided today that we'll go to Shoe Creek the weekend of Feb 8-10.

Ya'll want to come along? Let me know and I can give you a description of the vehicles that will be there and the camp spots.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 AM

I'm in the Hampton Roads area as well, a trail ride would be really cool
Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by toy4weez
I might have my ride ready by then. How hard are these trails? I'm new to this the only wheelin I've done is on the beach @ OBX. I know I won't have sliders for sure are these needed if you don't want to get banged up?
I wrote this in a different thread but no...no sliders/armor needed if you stick to the main trail. If you have running boards you may end up leaving them on the trail. Maybe remove 6 bolts and they're off and back on quickly.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 AM

February 8-10th sounds like a game plan, I wont be camping, but I will come out and meet yall and wheel around a bit. Any takers for slick rock HAHAHAHAHA or glacier rock rather? Yall gonna be camping by the crossroads to the slick rock trail? I wish I could camp out there with yall but have to do work on the farm but I will definitely swing by both days to hangout

I hate that I haven't been back there in two months considering I live right close

Bt yeah chains is definitely a must, watever snow or water or ice is seen in the mountain valley and shaded regions tend to stay there for quite a while. If I get done reworking my ps gearbox tonight, Ill give yall a forecast.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM

and shoecreek is why I am getting a BIG F'in stinger on the front of my bumper when that project takes form because I was playing on some rocks by the slickrock turnpike one day and picked a pretty righteous line that had me doing a almost nose stand because there was nothing unnder my left front tire and my right front had already crested one and now there was nothing supporting, so luckily my tires slipped and I shifted into a deep pocket and kept me from going end over end. Not only did I piss my pants,but my Power Steering also pissed itself too hahaha so after that day I became a understander of why people do the stingers.