Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

URD SuperGrip Crankshaft Pulley for 3.4L Toyota Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just wrap an old bike tire (bike stores have plenty to toss) around the pulley and then use a chain wrench.
Works like a charm and won't scratch the part at all.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to open a can of worms here, but it should be noted that bottom-end balancing concerns come into consideration with lightened crank pulleys. Obviously this may or may not apply to the 5VZFE, but it should be at least noted or open for discussion. There are both praise and horror stories both all over the net about lightened crank pulleys. To be honest, I am not sure what I think. I can't say because I don't have a lot of bottom-end experience.

All I know is in regard to Honda's and what speed shops, such as Superior Racing, have told me. SRD is a leading manufacturer of lightened crank pulleys and they told me over the phone they would not run one on a daily driver due to increased wear on the bottom-end. That scares me a bit. Also, why does URD say this is for "[race] prepped" engines?

Your thoughts?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Not to open a can of worms here, but it should be noted that bottom-end balancing concerns come into consideration with lightened crank pulleys. Obviously this may or may not apply to the 5VZFE, but it should be at least noted or open for discussion. There are both praise and horror stories both all over the net about lightened crank pulleys. To be honest, I am not sure what I think. I can't say because I don't have a lot of bottom-end experience.

All I know is in regard to Honda's and what speed shops, such as Superior Racing, have told me. SRD is a leading manufacturer of lightened crank pulleys and they told me over the phone they would not run one on a daily driver due to increased wear on the bottom-end. That scares me a bit. Also, why does URD say this is for "[race] prepped" engines?

Your thoughts?
Interesting points Christian. I was afraid it was too good to be true, there is always a draw back somewhere.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

let me know what you think once you get it installed, i think i want to get one myself
Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Not to open a can of worms here, but it should be noted that bottom-end balancing concerns come into consideration with lightened crank pulleys.
Your thoughts?

If you have a 5 speed i think the 10 lb crank pully is negligable compaired to the 40lb flywheel hanging off the back end. (Which has a MUCH MUCH larger radius of gyration)

The reason for "good for race motor" is usually the motor is bluprinted and ballanced meaning there should be no worry about addtional mass dampener needed in the form of crank pully or flywheel

Last edited by snap-on; 11-18-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota5VZFE
Hi Chris, just because you spoke with someone over the phone from that person's opinion, that scares you from installing a lighter crank pulley ?
Well, yes and no. I am simply in the process of collecting data. I was very surprised to hear SRD tell me that over the phone. After all, they sell a ton of those things for Honda's, and they knew I was inquiring about my Accord (turns out they don't make one for the F22 anyway). Maybe that's why they said it.

I found some articles, and all seem to emphasize the use of the harmonic balancer no matter what.

One can argue the pulley question from two sides. First there is a stright forward technical issue of elimination of the harmonic balancer portion of the crank pulley. There is one series Honda engine for which they have stopped selling pulley kits because the crank main bearing are particularly sensitive. Harmonic balancers are a needed component to protect, usually the front bearing of the crank from periodic vibrations that can occur at certain rpm in any engine. Over time vibrations can cause or aggravate wear. Do not bother to argue with someone who denies this fact or tries to tell you some story about how racing engines do not use them or what ever. Rubbish. You want to keep your harmonic balancer in place. Period.
http://www.spdusa.com/pulley_kit.htm

Allegedly some main bearings destroyed by a lightened crank pulley on a Honda motor:

WARNING: Some companies have been marketing replicas of UUC's original pulley design, but advertising them as superior due to "light weight". This clearly shows these replica manufacturers do not have an understanding of the underdrive concept... weight reduction is not a factor in producing power with underdrive pulleys... the gain comes from reducing the accessory speed, not from less rotating mass.

While some pulley advertisers do advertise "lightest weight", we feel that to be somewhat deceptive... in our extensive testing, we have proven that the actual weight of the pulleys is not a factor in increasing power gains whatsoever. Each pulley itself weighs just a few ounces... shaving off a small amount of additional aluminum will not make one single bit of measurable power. Weight savings in a BMW that are important are in the much larger rotating components such as a lightened flywheel or lighter road wheels.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp/udp_info/about.htm

Those are a few of the negatives I could find. I don't know what to think guys.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

i think we need an answer from someone who has run one for a conciderable time period, i would like to hear it wont hurt my motor because im interested in getting one.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
i think we need an answer from someone who has run one for a conciderable time period, i would like to hear it wont hurt my motor because im interested in getting one.
How is that possible if these just came out for the 5VZ?

Do some searches on google and you will find a day's worth of reading on other vehicles, FWIW.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

Have fun getting frid of your crankshaft dampener.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Anyone run a lightend flywheel? I can tell you from first hand experience that the lightend flywheel they sell for BMW's makes a WORLD of diffrance. VERY noticable....

but thats a flywheel on a BMW not a crankpully....

as for these

it looks like they ran it out of oil. discoloration is a shure sign of getting hot. vs an uneven wear that you might expect if the crank was vibrating...

Last edited by snap-on; 11-18-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
Are you talking about me? That's OK because I have been a "Doubting Thomas."
Nah, no one specific. There's just a long history here about pulling the mechanical fan in order to save weight. Lotso passion from both sides of the argument.

Originally Posted by snap-on
If you have a 5 speed i think the 10 lb crank pully is negligable compaired to the 40lb flywheel hanging off the back end. (Which has a MUCH MUCH larger radius of gyration)
Yeup, I was thinking down those lines as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were a couple of guys on the web a couple of years ago that were running lightened flywheels on their 4 runners (2nd gen). They said it made a huge difference and helped counteract the big tires. I haven't been able to find it again. It was a personal website and had a picture of a red 2nd gen with a snorkle.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 PM

I run a lighted flywheel in my civic and yes it makes a huge difference. But a lightened crank pulley or pulley without a balancer is another story. If they were a safe option for daily drivers dont you think TRD would offer one? Also Dinan (the trd of bmw) does not offer a lightened crank pulley either.

Only reason why I mention them is cause they are the only other company that comes to mind that will warranty their aftermarket parts. If anyone knows another please check and see if they offer a light crank pulley.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes a lightened flywheel for 3.4L engine that is available for us to purchase ? so far, I know URD recently developed a lightened crank pulley for sale at $279. I don't know if URD will develop a lightened flywheel soon for the 3.4L, I would imagine it would be a nice mod.
It might be a nice mod for the street but it will affect your torque curve in a negative way while offroad. (The lighter flywheel that is)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

im getting one with my urd kit and mister. i run a lighter fly wheel on my truck and love it
Old 11-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dexter
im getting one with my urd kit and mister. i run a lighter fly wheel on my truck and love it
Where did you get the lightened flywheel?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes a lightened flywheel for 3.4L engine that is available for us to purchase ?
Google's cool...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ywheel+4runner

And for $450...
http://www.mach1car.com/Product.aspx...&p=UR061211000

And some old babble (from 1998) talking about running light flywheels off-road...
http://barneymc.com/toy_root/techtal...ne/fly_whl.htm
Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Mine is 2002 4runner and it has 3.4L engine, I guess this flywheel should fit right since they are all 3.4L from year 1996 to 2002 ?
This would only apply to a manual transmission.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

exactly
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

I know the electric fan group will jump on this deal.
I'm not. At least for now.

Quick Reply: URD SuperGrip Crankshaft Pulley for 3.4L Toyota Trucks