Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

U-joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-joint replacement

Well, my drive line noise is still as persistent as ever. I've put new gear oil in and lubed up the joints to no avail. My friend/car guru suspects that the u-joints in 3rd gen 4runners are a royal pain to change. Has anyone done it? Or should I just take it into the dealer and save myself some
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by blank
Well, my drive line noise is still as persistent as ever. I've put new gear oil in and lubed up the joints to no avail. My friend/car guru suspects that the u-joints in 3rd gen 4runners are a royal pain to change. Has anyone done it? Or should I just take it into the dealer and save myself some
first of all.. you're in san luis obispo? well damn.. there's a few of us here, you should go wheelin with us. :bouce:

anyway, if you feel like doing the ujoint install yourself, check out www.customtacos.com they have some good instructions in the tech secion.

-Russell
Old 09-02-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by boogyman
first of all.. you're in san luis obispo? well damn.. there's a few of us here, you should go wheelin with us. :bouce:

anyway, if you feel like doing the ujoint install yourself, check out www.customtacos.com they have some good instructions in the tech secion.

-Russell
Well right now I'm back in fresno........... I'm going down to pismo this weekend for labor day, hopefully I won't break too much. I'd be down for some wheelin, though I'm a major rookie I'm up for a little fun.

I would prefer to do it myself if it's not going to be something I'm going to kick myself over. I'll check out the instructions and see how doable they are for me, seeing that I only have access to a good set of tools here, rather than in san luis. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 09-02-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if they're anything like typical toyota u-joints(and i'd imagine they are), they're not too hard to change, just takes a little getting the hang of. the first one i did took me 3 hours, then the next one(was changing them out of my rear driveshaft) took about 20 minutes. a press would be really nice to have for changing them, but i "rented" a $40 harbor freight ball joint removal tool(a big c-clamp with a hole in the end, you could improvise)
Old 09-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by blank
Well right now I'm back in fresno........... I'm going down to pismo this weekend for labor day, hopefully I won't break too much. I'd be down for some wheelin, though I'm a major rookie I'm up for a little fun.

I would prefer to do it myself if it's not going to be something I'm going to kick myself over. I'll check out the instructions and see how doable they are for me, seeing that I only have access to a good set of tools here, rather than in san luis. Thanks for the help.

Steve
i'm not driving back to san luis until monday night.. but after that, i'll be there until december. just send me a message on here when you want to go wheelin.

-Russell