Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra/FJ80 lift installed...pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yota Runner
Did you get one of the SS kits? If not where did you get your shocks and what valving and stuff did you get on those?
I'm wondering the same question....???

I helped a buddy install those shocks on his '05 Taco but I haven't been able to find them for my '97...are they the same? Answering the above question would probably answer this one though...haha.

Looks good, but yeah, can't wait to see the bigger tires on.

Thanks!

Kyle
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheeler's Off-Road sells the front and rear shocks:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM

Nice! Thanks man.

These say they're for the Tacomas though, I'm sure there isn't a problem hooking them up to the 4runners...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Yes it is the SS 1.2 Kit. I hope to do a shakedown wheeling run this weekend, planning on a one night camping trip. I just need to install the extended bump stops first.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM

did you leave the cones in the rear springs from the original springs?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by toy4weez
did you leave the cones in the rear springs from the original springs?
The rear cones are left out, thats another 1/2" lift if you leave them in, I have just a touch over 4" lift at the rear.

BTW I scored some 285/75/16 MTR's today !!!!! I hope to get them installed tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:20 PM

the metal metal contact doesn't cause any noise?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have a list of parts you used to make the adjustable end links? If so, would you mind posting it? I desperately need to make some.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

This thread needs some explaining. You will see in the pictures that he has "fixed" the issues, not exactly how I would have done it, but none the less he has.

Since he owns a Supra shop and is obviously able to fabricate, and passed the extensive e-mail drilling and me saying no many times. He was allowed to just buy just the coils and shocks.

This is an extremely rare circumstance and he realizes that if any of his fixes fail, there is no warranty on the parts. He is on his own. I felt he could handle it, but then again he can build custom turbo setups.

A drop bracket that long is not wise as the roll center is not going to be as good as if you make the bar longer and left the mount higher. My kit also does the same thing with the rear sway bar but keep the quite non-clicking stock end links.

Also Tacoma shocks will not fit on a 4Runner. Rear shocks are eye/eye and too short.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Steve~ if you are a dealer for bilstein shocks, why wont you sell the shocks to people as a set of four? Whats the point of being a dealer if you wont sell the parts that people want? Im not trying to harp on you, I just dont understand the logic? Wouldn't you think you would move more inventory if you would allow parts from you kits to be sold separatly, and then provide your kits at a slightly lower price than it would be to piece it together, as to promote your kits.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
Steve~ if you are a dealer for bilstein shocks, why wont you sell the shocks to people as a set of four? Whats the point of being a dealer if you wont sell the parts that people want? Im not trying to harp on you, I just dont understand the logic? Wouldn't you think you would move more inventory if you would allow parts from you kits to be sold separatly, and then provide your kits at a slightly lower price than it would be to piece it together, as to promote your kits.
These shocks will ONLY work with our lift kits, unless your vehicle is equipped with all the fixes, they will not work correctly and parts will fail.

It is as simple as that, the shocks can not be simply bolted on a stock vehicle.

What we have is a complete system, you need all the parts to make it work right. We have the Tokico Trek Master shocks for stock vehicles.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM

Okay...thanks for the clearification Steve. This is beacause the front shocks are meant to run the TRD coils and the rears are longer than stock and meant to run the longer coils. Correct?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

In a very simplified form, yes. It is actually much more complex than that, but yea, that works.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM

I had the 285 MTRs mounted yesterday on the stock wheels, they rub a bit on the upper A arm at full droop. I will most likely shave the arm down for clearence. Other than the the suspension is great!!!. I hope to take it on the trail this weekend.

I also did some flex testing wit a forklift with the rear sway bar connected and disconected and the verdict is..............No difference, there wasnt any more flex with the rear bar disconected. I had 18" from the bottom of the tire to the pavement of rear compression travel before the rear wheel left the ground (this was by lifting the rear wheel ), after diconecting the sway bar links there was still 18". I didnt get a chance to disconect the fronts for testing, but I will do that another day.

Randy

Last edited by BIC performance; 03-21-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by BIC performance

I also did some flex testing wit a forklift with the rear sway bar connected and disconected and the verdict is..............No difference, there wasnt any more flex with the rear bar disconected. I had 18" from the bottom of the tire to the pavement of rear compression travel before the rear wheel left the ground (this was by lifting the rear wheel ), after diconecting the sway bar links there was still 18". I didnt get a chance to disconect the fronts for testing, but I will do that another day.

Randy
Interesting, that's good to know
Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
My kit also does the same thing with the rear sway bar but keep the quite non-clicking stock end links.
Steve,

forgive my ignorance, but what did you mean by the term "non-clicking"? does that mean that the end-links that BIC used produces a clicking sound? what about the discos and end-links made by the Wabbit?

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2008, 01:50 PM

No the endlinks I made dont click at all. I have been running similar links with the same rod ends on my Supra for years now without any problems. I could make a few extra sets of endlinks if anyone is interested...PM me

Randy
Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Here is a few flex shots when I was testing with disconnecting the rear sway bar.

Suspension at work
Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

This is even with 96-97 stock rear end link bushings that don't side twist well, the 98-02 bushings are far superior and the same ones used on the FJC.

Also if you had the adjustable trac bar, you would have had standard poly/sleeve style bushings like rear leaf springs. The stock trac bar has those captured bushings and will hold one side back.

You said you were going to make links and a trac bar with Heims, I am disappointed to see this other path you have taken. Your original plan would have been much better.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Yes I do plan on making some custom links and track bar, but I am limited what I can do as I just had surgery on my shoulder a few months ago and I am not 100% yet, actually I am not supposed to be doing any physical labor yet!!!!....just dont tell my wife!!

There was another 2" of up travel on the drivers side wheel, I figured it was the track bar holding it back.

Quick Reply: Tundra/FJ80 lift installed...pics