Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra Brake Upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to clear things up a bit.

When Andy says rear "calipers", he really means wheel cylinders. Glad to hear everyone is having good luck w/ this swap.

Not trying to steal your thunder, Andy. You have been a true pioneer when it comes to the 3rd Gen 4Runners.

Last edited by terryjmatthew; 05-28-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Andy, what vacuum bleeder do you use?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by d0ubledown
good to hear its workin out for you andy. and i agree that a couple hun isnt gonna hurt when you get substantially better braking. i wonder why the 3rd gens (or some of us 3rd gen owners anyway) have been having warped rotor issues while others havent..

now the only thing ive got to do is hunt down some reasonably priced calipers. most up here (if they even are available) are wanting CDN$180-200...and thats not even with core charge :pat: im even contemplating ording from the US, picking up there & getting them installed there... hmm
FYI, I just upgraded my 01 4Runner to the Tundra brakes and I got the Tundra calipers at NAPA in Coquitlam, $95 each after core refund, core charge was $60. They were Autoline brand and had to be ordered, but were in within 2 days. They didn't say anything when I returned the 4Runner ones, I think you'd really have to know Toyotas to tell the difference.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

hey thanks for that heads up eric. i forgot to mention in that post that those prices were with pads...so price wasnt that bad but i'd rather shop locally. what pads & rotors did you go with? i was wanting oem pads, but the site i was lookin at has akebono calipers & pads. not sure which aftermarket reman'd brands are best. and was that price retail?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey thanks for that heads up eric. i forgot to mention in that post that those prices were with pads...so price wasnt that bad but i'd rather shop locally. what pads & rotors did you go with? i was wanting oem pads, but the site i was lookin at has akebono calipers & pads. not sure which aftermarket reman'd brands are best. and was that price retail?
I used Brembo rotors, and OE pads from the dealer. I got the rotors from here

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/re...placement.html
$58 each with free shipping to Sumas, WA. I was going to get the calipers from them too but for a savings of about $20 each I decided that wasn't worth another trip south to send the cores back.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonny,

Which site was it that was selling Akebono calipers and pads?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

What's the difference between the OE Phenolic and OE metal pistons? I saw these in the list in rockauto.com.

Is Cardone a good quality reman brand? IIRC, there was a post somewhere and it mentioned a brake caliper reman brand that should be avoided. I just could not find that post and I can't recall which brand was that.
How about ACDelco? rockauto.com also included it in their list of reman calipers for the Sequioa/Tundra.

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bratik
I usualy order mine online, ether from www.tirerack.com ($67.00) or www.rockauto.com ($54.79)
Been looking at the upgrade for this summer myself and it seems like Tundra brakes (both rotors and pads) are actually cheaper than those for the 4runner. So that is just an added bonus to the increase in stopping power. Can't wait to try this.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bighead
Andy, what vacuum bleeder do you use?
just one that i picked up from advance auto. it's actually a manual vacuum pump (for checking automotive vacuum systems - about $50 or so) that has a bleeder cup with it.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 PM

I too am looking to do this upgrade, along with some 17's seqioua rims. Does anyone know if they will work with these rims?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WHORERUNNER
I too am looking to do this upgrade, along with some 17's seqioua rims. Does anyone know if they will work with these rims?
They should as the Sequoia is pretty much the Tundra, just an SUV vs. a truck...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Sonny,

Which site was it that was selling Akebono calipers and pads?

Thanks.
i found them at http://canadiancarparts.com/ they had the akebono calipers with pro-act pads for $170 with an $80 core, so just under $100 cdn. but being in the philippines..it might be a bit spendy for shipping..diba?

[OT] btw where in the phillippines are you? i was born in quezon city. havent been back to the motherland in quite a while now...[/OT]

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Is Cardone a good quality reman brand? IIRC, there was a post somewhere and it mentioned a brake caliper reman brand that should be avoided. I just could not find that post and I can't recall which brand was that.
How about ACDelco? rockauto.com also included it in their list of reman calipers for the Sequioa/Tundra
not sure which one you're referring to...i think the A1 cardone is a good brand. i think bamachem mentioned that those are the ones he got? in post #28 of this thread bratik states he uses the akebono pads with excellent results...and from the research ive done...akebono seems to be a better quality brand as well so ill probably go with this setup instead of the oem toyo pads which are a bit more from the stealership(surprise). id guess most are decent quality, but when it comes to my truck, i follow the 'more expensive = better quality' mentality. haha
Old 06-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

i found them at http://canadiancarparts.com/ they had the akebono calipers with pro-act pads for $170 with an $80 core, so just under $100 cdn. but being in the philippines..it might be a bit spendy for shipping..diba?
Good call on canadiancarparts, they seem to have free shipping on orders over $100 for the month of June (it also says that if you spend over $1000 on your account you can get 10% off all purchases so that might be quite good over time, but that is still alot of money). Only thing was that the core of $80 is in addition to the $170 price, so the prices are not as good as you get in the states for sure (but at least those are prices for loaded calipers). For (2) 199mm calipers and a set of Brembo discs it came to $600 CDN (minus the $160 for cores when those come back). Bit scary to do cores via mail as well since you'd be sending back 4Runner cores not Tundras so you might get screwed there too if someone checked them.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-01-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Once you get your Tundra calipers, lay them next to your 4Runner calipers and tell me if some clerk is going to recognize those at first glance. The 199mm calipers with the 4.7" pads are pretty close to the 4Runner calipers. Not too much difference between them.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DoubleZero4x4
Once you get your Tundra calipers, lay them next to your 4Runner calipers and tell me if some clerk is going to recognize those at first glance. The 199mm calipers with the 4.7" pads are pretty close to the 4Runner calipers. Not too much difference between them.
In person I totally agree, but mail order via the net I have no idea what checks they do. I mean what keeps people from just sending back an old chevy caliper, selling the 4Runner caliper and getting a core refund back?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-01-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

my guy didn't even open the box that i returned the cores in. they could have been full of sand and he wouldn't have cared less.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

There must be some posts that got deleted because it looks like Andy is having a conversation with himself about the morality of bringing back sand in a box for a core refund.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

all is well now. just don't return your core boxes full of sand...

(i actually put my cores in the box and checked w/ the guy at the counter about returning the 4runner calipers as cores on the Tundra calipers before i bought them)

Last edited by bamachem; 06-01-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

haha..yeah. apparently they were deleted. cant help but picture andy glancing over at each shoulder...talking to the good and the eeevil
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=d0ubledown]i found them at http://canadiancarparts.com/ they had the akebono calipers with pro-act pads for $170 with an $80 core, so just under $100 cdn. but being in the philippines..it might be a bit spendy for shipping..diba?

[OT] btw where in the phillippines are you? i was born in quezon city. havent been back to the motherland in quite a while now...[/OT]

Sonny,

Maraming Salamat!

Yes, it's gonna be a bit spendy on the shipping.. but then, I believe it's worth it and I don't have much choice, do I?

Yes, I believe that Akebono calipers/pads are the better quality ones.

I'm from Davao but currentlyliving in QC.

Quick Reply: Tundra Brake Upgrade...