Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD supercharger install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD supercharger install

Hi there everyone, so I just bought a 2nd gen "black" supercharger and 7th injector kit for my 97' 3.4 4runner. now the issue is my 4runner has 196,000 miles on it. My plan was to wait till my engine blows and then replace it or rebuild it with the supercharger on it. The other day I was talking to my buddy about it and he was saying I should just throw the supercharger on now and drive it gently. I'm thinking that the supercharger would push too much pressure and blow my engine. any thoughts on this

I need you guys to help me out on this decision, should I throw the supercharger on now and take a chance running it at almost 200,000 miles?

or

should I wait and just rally on my engine untill it blow and rebuild with supercharger. The thing is also is the 3.4 engine is bullet proof I harp the crap out of it and it still run perfect and 200,000.

Please help Thanks

Last edited by dropzone; 08-17-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: language
Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM

I would wait to install it, but I would not blow my engine up. If you sling a rod through the side of the block or any number of other things you will be looking for more than a rebuild kit. Plus that is wear and tear on your drivetrain. I personally would just pull it while you know you have a solid core that is most likely rebuildable. I would not put the supercharger on now because that is a lot of work and time to spend on something that you will just have to do again. The cost of materials and time spent performing the install are both a waste if you just have to take it back apart. I know you are super excited about playing with your new toy. Heck, who would not be? Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:17 PM

why would it be bad to throw on the supercharger at 196,000 miles? Just curious. what would it do to the engine?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Depending on how hard the engine has been driven, it could speed up wear on the bearings in the bottom end. As long as you run the 7th injector and not upgrade the sc pulley it stays fairly safe.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM

My runner was babied for its first 100,000 miles. I mean it never even hit dirt once for the first 100,000. Then I bought it and I've driven it hard but done all necessary work to keep it running perfect. Its got some dents from wheelin, but honestly mechanically its crispy. ya I'm gonna be throw on the 7th injector kit with it and the stock trd pully. I'm just really excited to throw the supercharger on and see the power difference. I'm kinda leanin toward just throwing it on and driving it gently.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 PM

just do it

When you finally have to rebuild it your out is some time and money for gaskets, big deal. If I had one sitting in my garage I couldn't resist putting it on. Don't be bouncing your truck off the rev limiter and play nice with it and you should be fine...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wait for the engine to blow, you could be dead before you get to install the supercharger. The 5vz is darn near bullet proof.

Go ahead and install the supercharger and enjoy it. No reason to baby it. Properly tuned you should not have any issues and if you do, well you are ready for it anyways. You would not be the first to SC it at that mileage.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Am with TA on this. go ahead and install the SC. Also, don't forget to send your valve body to IPT for some rework. with your description on the way you drive, you're gonna kill your tranny with the SC if you don't send the Vb to IPT.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM

go ahead and throw it on, my dad threw a bigger turbo, injectors, and all that on his cummins with over 500k mile and its still strong at 1.2 millon miles, (its a 12 valve) not the same engine but the same concept, just redo some basic things, plugs, wires, blah, blah, gaskets blah blah
Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
texas ace is right!! when i was looking for a new toyota i found one that had 220k on it and had the supercharger for over 100k the guy told me so if that engine can handle that u will be waiting for ever because that engine will not blow up on its own! i have found some with upward of 250k when i was looking, goes to show u how they hold up!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 5runner
texas ace is right!! when i was looking for a new toyota i found one that had 220k on it and had the supercharger for over 100k the guy told me so if that engine can handle that u will be waiting for ever because that engine will not blow up on its own! i have found some with upward of 250k when i was looking, goes to show u how they hold up!
I know of a 4runner around me that has 350k miles and counting, ALL original besides basic maintenance items.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 AM

I'm gonna throw it on!!! Gotta talk to my mechanic and get him to start on it. What would happen if I don't send off my valve body to get re-worked? what does IPT stand for? Can someone give me a list of things to get to make the install go smoothly all i have right now is the supercharger. The 7th injector is in the mail and will show up any day now. so I will def need some gaskets in such, what else I don't know much about installing a supercharger myself. Why do I need to redo my plugs and wires, does the supercharger require a stronger or bigger spark?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Forner
I'm gonna throw it on!!! Gotta talk to my mechanic and get him to start on it. What would happen if I don't send off my valve body to get re-worked? what does IPT stand for? Can someone give me a list of things to get to make the install go smoothly all i have right now is the supercharger. The 7th injector is in the mail and will show up any day now. so I will def need some gaskets in such, what else I don't know much about installing a supercharger myself. Why do I need to redo my plugs and wires, does the supercharger require a stronger or bigger spark?
Install it yourself, it is really a pretty simple job. Get a friend to help you and you should be able to knock it out in an afternoon.

IPT is a transmission shop, search them on google. You need to get the valve body taken care of other wise you will kill the clutch plates in the transmission like I did. It also makes it more fun to drive.

Far as gaskets, get the O shaped throttle body gasket, URD used to sell them. Might also want a new intake manifold gasket although you can sometimes reuse the old one.

Then just make sure you all all the hardware to install it. Download the install manual and read it a few times to make sure you have a good idea what to do and what you will need to do it.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM

so i pretty much just need to get the valve body re-worked and some gaskets and i should be good. what about plugs and wire like "westjohns yota" said. do i need new plugs and wires?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Forner
so i pretty much just need to get the valve body re-worked and some gaskets and i should be good. what about plugs and wire like "westjohns yota" said. do i need new plugs and wires?
You should do a complete tune up, the whole nine yards for sure. You are adding a lot of power and you want everything in tip top shape.

When getting the plugs you do want to go with 2 step colder plugs, IK22's are a popular choice. Otherwise just high quality tune up parts.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

here's a thread regarding the valve-body upgrade by IPT:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...ctions-231698/

There's a company in new jersey that does the same. http://www.levelten.com/ here's a link to gadget's site: http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm

Last edited by KZN185W; 08-19-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KZN185W
here's a thread regarding the valve-body upgrade by IPT:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...ctions-231698/

There's a company in new jersey that does the same. http://www.levelten.com/ here's a link to gadget's site: http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm
LVL10 works as well but they charge more for the same thing which is why I went with IPT.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM

I have a 96' with 241000 miles and considering adding the SC. Can you tell me where you got it and how much it cost?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2Whlin
I have a 96' with 241000 miles and considering adding the SC. Can you tell me where you got it and how much it cost?
The 96 does not like being supercharged as much as later years. They had some head gasket issues and a different ECU that didn't play nice with the SC last I heard. It can still be done, just got to be more careful then the 98+ trucks.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM

I was just gonna have my local mechanic do the job cause i'm super busy with work. now to rework the valve body is that just cleaning it and replacing worn parts or does IPT put aftermarket better parts in there or what. could I just have my local mechanic re-work my valve body? is it a common thing that most mechanics know how to do? also other than the IK22 plugs what are some other good parts to add in there when doing a supercharger install?

Quick Reply: TRD supercharger install