95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyotas Getting Uglier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstToy
ya, progress sucks don't it?
It has long been my opinion and that of my friends that this is ture, that the new toyotas are not as apealing as the older ones. I personally think the 2nd gen is the most apealing suv ever made (that's why I have one and keep dumping cash into it). At the same time, this particular 4th gen looks f***ing cool.

Something about black and white.... 2nd gen is still my fave...

Last edited by bike4miles; 10-14-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:30 PM
lee
Contributing Member

i think the 3rd is the best looking and most appealing all around, personally!

big shock!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

By the way that new Tacoma is definetly growing on me - saw a silver extended cab TRD with the six speed and e-locker - I couldnt stop drooling

the 4th gen runner is still takin time though
Old 11-20-2004, 05:54 PM

lets see if this little guy ever hits the road...

Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

how about everyone just says...I LOVE MY GEN THE BEST...and no more arguements
Old 11-21-2004, 05:12 AM

I love my 2nd gen the best.........and no more arguements !
Old 11-21-2004, 11:37 AM

After owning numerous Toys, inc. 1st and 2nd gen Runners, I've always thought they needed to be just a bit bigger and a little more powerful. Kept hitting my damn knee on the dashboard getting in and out of the door, and I'm not even 6'0. I wasn't a big fan of the 4th gen looks myself, but looks only account for so much. The new 4th gens offer so much more than the previous gens. And my 4th gen cost me about what my 1995 2nd gen sticker priced for. That is value! Yeah, for pure off-roading, the previous gen's may have advantages, although look at where some of the 4th gen owners here have been with their's! But for me, I need one ride that covers as many bases as possible, primarily used as a daily driver in the Los Angeles area. I just got back from a weekend at Mammoth, CA (ski resort). I used to cringe at the thought of that drive in my previous Toys. 6+ hour drive (with my kids about 7-8), many 2-lane stretches with hairball passing into on-coming traffic required. No fun in a gutless, loud, and bumpy 4-wheeler with poor on-road handling characteristics. But my 4th gen seriously felt like an S-Class Mercedes. Total stability and control at 80+mph. The power of the V8 is incredible. The XREAS handling incredible. EZ passing at virtually any speeds, and with a fully loaded vehicle. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to jeopardize the reliability of that engine by SCing it, not to mention dropping $3-5G's. Smooth and quiet ride. No road fatigue. Also, my previous Toys were gutless at the resorts 8,000-9,000 ft. altitude while my V8 barely noticed it. It's also a very assuring feeling knowing I'm in one of the safest cars on the road (IMO).
Old 11-21-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think most cars and trucks have gotten uglier since the late 70s/early 80s in general, not too many exceptions if you ask me
Old 11-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Well this is my first thread - but I just wanted to get an idea here. I'm under the opinion that Toyotas keep getting uglier as the years go on. It seems to be unfortunate but true. Take the 4runner for instance. The 1st gen was a sweet looking truck, 2nd gens are just as sweet looking, 3rd gens are nice but just not as appealing as the 2nd gens -THEN we have the 4th gen -oh man; talk about a beastly disgrace. It looks like an oversized Hyundai or something with all the plastic moldings... Feel free to imagine other models as well. Clearly the 95-97 Tacos were better looking then the next gen - then the 05 appears and looks like a mutant turtle or something - what gives? :pat:
Um, it is all a matter of personal taste.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

We all have our opinions on looks but if Toyota keeps on selling more trucks then obviously we are in the minority of our opinions of Toyotas getting uglier. Sales is the bottom line of any car and if they don't sell then a redesign will happen sooner than later.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
We all have our opinions on looks but if Toyota keeps on selling more trucks then obviously we are in the minority of our opinions of Toyotas getting uglier. Sales is the bottom line of any car and if they don't sell then a redesign will happen sooner than later.
well, therin lies the problem - too many pansies are buying 'trucks' now because it is cool -and heaven forbid these should have a truck-like ride or (its terrible) have non-heated seats and non-HID headlights - Plus it would be awful if they actually had to step UP into their 'truck'......this is what we call the pansification of the truck segment.

I dig the new Tacos - same with the runners theyre nice, and probably some of the more capable AHEM suvs to come out lately - but overall there just arent REAL trucks coming out anymore short of HD full size american PUs......what we need is a 1st gen with all the modern reliabiltity and mileage etc.....small 6 cyclinder full boxed frame etc... etc

Not frakin Kia Sedonas, RAV4s, and CRvs!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Money is money to a any company no matter what demograph is buying their products and yes it is unfortunate.
Take AWD/turbo Eclipses and Talons for example,great platform and power but sales dictated the demise of AWD and now all we have is an Eclipse with a V6 powering the front wheels only and the car just hasn't been the same with real car enthuseists since.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by roger
Bingo! Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I think the new Runners and Tacos look pretty cool; not really any better or worse than the older ones. Although the plastic on the Runners only looks good if it's the same color as the body. If it's different, it looks like a Pontiac Asstek (fugly IMHO).
Yeah, I think the Fords are the worse...they look very unstable/top-heavy, like bathtubs on wheels. Initially, I didn't like the look of the 4th gens, probably due to that cheezy looking black plastic wheel mouldings, but now that they've removed the indentations and painted them to match, they look pretty good, especially the grill. I think it looks better than the Prado/GX470, especially the back. The Prado doesn't look bad once you put on an ARB winchbar and safari snorkel, though. Toyota ought to just ditch those plastic wheel well mouldings and stamp the shape in the body panels like on the 100 series. Also, too bad HID lights weren't available. I've never really like the Taco look...maybe it's the front grill or something. Hilux (overseas) looks better.