Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota cv axles

Are they anything special or should i go reman or new elsewhere?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reman seem to be the way to go. Most of the aftermarket CV's I've found are almost an inch shorter which will separate at full droop with the wheels turned. Take your stock CV and compare to what ever you buy to make sure they are the same length.

good luck

Sam
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
This is QUITE HEAVILY been discussed on this site... I know because I just tore a boot on the pass side and the driver one is about to go... TO THINK, THE NERVE..ONLY 26 YEARS OF SERVICE! hahaha.. That said....

I read LOTS of threads arguing over what's best, some saying, "Reboot the OEM's if they're not binding, etc."... Other saying, "DON'T BUY NEW CV'S from parts stores... ONLY reman'd, cuz they use more factory CV's that they've resto'd... not New Castings that are often with a different type bearing in the CV joint, and sometimes, in fact often, TOO SHORT TO WORK PROPERLY OR TOO LONG to fit!"... While others said, "I just buy new CV's and grind down the stud splines and then I have no core charge and no problem changing them on the trail even with the studs turned into bolts".....

IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE, man! Gave me a headache... 2 guys I trust, very much, actually Toyota Mechanics for years... Both told me, "REBOOT AND BE DONE... Just be sure it was just the boot being old and not really bad binding or clicking going on in there(ONE of these guys has a 98(?) Taco with 3.4/4wd)... I tested mine at full stuff steer, both directions and full droop... could NOT get them to bind or click on me.. So I decided to go 'REBOOT WITH OEM/FACTORY TOYOTA BOOT KIT'.

If you go to my build in my sig and back a few pages, up to recent, it's been discussed and I've posted all the parts store LINKS for an 87 CV, new and reman'd, etc.

SINCE YOU DID NOT include the year of your rig, and I'm assuming it's the SIG notation.... 2002 Tacoma 3.4L Auto.... Obviously you'd be in a different boat on "which parts, which brand, which is best----to reboot or replace?" ... But FROM those links, including the Napa one... you could just reenter the Year and make and VOILA, you're in like flynn on your choices and prices, ya know?

BTW, My complete reboot kit with boots, fasteners and grease was 68$ shipped through www.toyotapartszone.com ....

PS> I'm SURE the discussion is even MORE all over the place and plentiful on your year rig(If the 2002 is what you're talking about).

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
This is QUITE HEAVILY been discussed on this site... I know because I just tore a boot on the pass side and the driver one is about to go... TO THINK, THE NERVE..ONLY 26 YEARS OF SERVICE! hahaha.. That said....

I read LOTS of threads arguing over what's best, some saying, "Reboot the OEM's if they're not binding, etc."... Other saying, "DON'T BUY NEW CV'S from parts stores... ONLY reman'd, cuz they use more factory CV's that they've resto'd... not New Castings that are often with a different type bearing in the CV joint, and sometimes, in fact often, TOO SHORT TO WORK PROPERLY OR TOO LONG to fit!"... While others said, "I just buy new CV's and grind down the stud splines and then I have no core charge and no problem changing them on the trail even with the studs turned into bolts".....

IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE, man! Gave me a headache... 2 guys I trust, very much, actually Toyota Mechanics for years... Both told me, "REBOOT AND BE DONE... Just be sure it was just the boot being old and not really bad binding or clicking going on in there(ONE of these guys has a 98(?) Taco with 3.4/4wd)... I tested mine at full stuff steer, both directions and full droop... could NOT get them to bind or click on me.. So I decided to go 'REBOOT WITH OEM/FACTORY TOYOTA BOOT KIT'.

If you go to my build in my sig and back a few pages, up to recent, it's been discussed and I've posted all the parts store LINKS for an 87 CV, new and reman'd, etc.

SINCE YOU DID NOT include the year of your rig, and I'm assuming it's the SIG notation.... 2002 Tacoma 3.4L Auto.... Obviously you'd be in a different boat on "which parts, which brand, which is best----to reboot or replace?" ... But FROM those links, including the Napa one... you could just reenter the Year and make and VOILA, you're in like flynn on your choices and prices, ya know?

BTW, My complete reboot kit with boots, fasteners and grease was 68$ shipped through www.toyotapartszone.com ....

PS> I'm SURE the discussion is even MORE all over the place and plentiful on your year rig(If the 2002 is what you're talking about).
Thanks for the help. Ill keep an eye on it. The boot itself isn't completely torn but a lot of grease came out. It is my 2002.