95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Question About Cars in Uhaul
Am I Crazy for considering this?
28.57%
Should the Toyota go inside the Uhaul and Benz Behind
21.43%
Should the Benz go inside the Uhaul and the Toyota Behind
21.43%
Should I worry about the 6800lb weight limit?
14.29%
Would you do this if it was your choice?
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota or Benz or Neither in Uhaul??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toyota or Benz or Neither in Uhaul??

I'm guessing this thread is going to be taken seriously by some, laughed at by others, and cried upon by others for the stupidity of it.
Neways. I'm moving from Columbus, OH to CT at the end of this month. I'll have both of my cars with me in Ohio, and I need to get both of them to CT with me during the move. I don't have a terriably large amount of stuff, and I was thinking about getting the largest Uhaul possibly, and putting either the Benz, or my 4runner inside it, and and packing in front of the car or around it. Whatever vehicle I decide to put inside of it, I'll probably take some scrap lumber I have, and Screw a couple boards up around the car, to keep any stray boxes from attacking it. I'll also wrap the car in blankets firts as well. I'm then going to pull the other car behind the Uhaul truck on a ride on trailer. I would rather not put the extra mileage on one of the cars by having to drive it, and I was wondering what you guys think.

The 4runner would be easier to put inside, because of getting it on and off the truck.
The max weight for the Uhaul truck is 6800lbs.

I got the idea from my dad, who did this with a vw bus inside a uhaul. He said it worked fine, except for the boxes he put up against the car, which rubbed the paint kinda funny.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C:

You can put your car inside the Uhaul? Are you sure? It sounds like it wouldn't be legal. Be careful, regardless. I know they do sell trailers and that's the way I've seen vehicles towed behind a UHaul.

Bob
Old 12-16-2002, 06:23 PM

Bob,
I'm quite sure Uhaul wouldn't approve of the idea. I have two cars though, and I can't tow both.
Thanks for you input, I'll update everyone once I'm finished.
Adam
Old 12-16-2002, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Carrier

Find someone with a car carrier. These guys will transport cars that dsitance for a couple hundred bucks. That way, you can get a smaller, cheaper Uhaul and still tow one of your rigs.

I've always wondered how people fit cars inside trucks like Uhauls. Do you climb out the tailgate after you get it in?

A couple of friend of mine had done what you described before. Over rough roads, the vehicle inside shifted and proceeded to rub paint off the bumper. They had to jack it up to straighten it out to drive out, too.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:41 PM

If you can get one inside go for it, just know u-haul will ding you for any damage that happens on the inside or outside of their truck. My main worry would be the rig inside moving around, i'd see if i could chain it down with opposing forces. I'd be less worried of falling boxes then a 'dancing rig' Also I'd make sure I have all vehicle titles,insurance etc. clean and avalible just in case....
On the rig your towing... If its not on a tralier i.e. all four wheels off ground disconnet the drive line. Use a couple of heavy duty zip ties to hold it up out of the way. Uhaul is infamous for not mentioning this detail when using a car 'dolly' and when you get where your going no more tranny. This is not so important with a manual trans. but if you don't disconnect drive line stop and run the engine in the vehcile being towed to 'splash' gear oil on the moving part in the tranny about every hundred miles. Tow truck companies I know will tow all 4 wheel drive vehicles on a flat bed not the wreckers. They don't want the liability.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

I would worry about the car moving around inside the Uhaul (like you had mentioned).
My sister and brother-in-law are moving from CA to CT (for the Navy) in the end of the month. Here is what they are doing.

They are having a semi trailer dropped off at my parents house (all their stuff is still there, since he was on base in cali for OCS training)

They are having their 2001 Camry shipped via auto transporter on dec 30th.

They are going to leave their 18 month old boy with my parents in Salt Lake, Then my parents will fly him to CT once they get unpacked.

They are driving their 2003 F-150 across country loaded with whatever personal stuff then need right then.

So my suggestion is to have a company transport your benz (load the trunk with some of your stuff) , and pack your Toyota with everything else (maybe even rent a uhaul trailer if you have too much stuff) and drive the Toyota to CT.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:56 AM
Banned

I am lucky to not have seen the inside of a rental moving truck for a long time. I have a couple of comments and concerns to share.

First, as mentioned, you need to secure the vehicle with those huge nylon ratchet straps and LOTS of tension on them, enough to almost completely compress the suspension. I doubt a typical U-Haul has anchor points that are up to that task.

Also I bet your rental agreement will state that you are not to put a vehicle in there. The gasoline vapors can build up and possibly become explosive. U-Haul is known to sometomes neglect their vehicles so it may break down and they will send you another to replace it. You get to unpack one truck and pack the new one while they try to fix the old one or waid to have it towed. If they find a vehicle packed in with your other stuff who knows what they will try to pull, but it won't be cheap possible litigation if you don't pay their excessive fees for breaking the rental agreement.

Your best options are to rent two cargo vans and two car trailers if you have two or more drivers... or, as mentioned, have a professional auto transport company move one or both for you.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:22 PM

I did a similar thing when I moved to just north of Columbus, OH. I was using a Moving Company and they had no problem loading one of my vehicles inside their semi van. I was wondering whether to put my Porsche inside the van or my Jeep, which I had at that time. My question was answered for me.......the ground clearance on the car was too low and it couldn't fit on the ramps to go inside the truck. Make sure the Benz will clear your ramps. I ended up loading the Jeep inside the van and driving the Porsche.......it was February and lake effect snows hit Ohio and I wished that I had the 4WD Jeep instead of a turbo charged Porsche in that mess!!

My advice is that if the Benz will fit, put it inside the van and drive the Runner. If something falls on the vehicle inside the van, you don't want the Runner being the one damaged, it's more valuable than the Benz!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think rental companies allow you to put vehicles in your truck. There is usually a sticker by the rear door that says not to place any vehicles, lawn mowers, 4 wheelers, etc on the inside. It would probably void the rentals warranty if you got in a wreck or something. I dunno. So, I probably wouldn’t do it. Best thing to do would be to call the rental company and ask whether you could or not. I'm not sure what car I would put inside if I had to.

What kinda Mercedes do you have? If it's one of those full size ones, you may have to tow it just cause it may weigh more than the runner. Also, if you are going to use a trailer that you put the car on (not one of those that you strap the front wheels and drag the back of the car down the road), the rental company may have issues with the weight of your car on that. My uncle was trying to rent a trailer for his Taurus, and the rental company said he couldn't put the car on it.

Maybe you could find somebody that has one of those 2 car trailers and tow that. Not sure if the rental company would have issues with that though.

Well, if worse comes to worse, you could put your Runner on one of those trailers that drag the back of your car down the road. Then you could get another trailer for you Mercedes and hitch that up to the Runner. Would be a train! I've seen people do this with their horse and boat trailers. They would hitch one up to the other.

Well, sorry for rambling on here.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Damn, everyone is moving to Ct.
What city are you moving to Getchellad?

I hope you have a good job. They tax the crap out of you here.

Anyway...Welcome!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:05 AM

My "off the wall idea"

1. Buy a car cover for the Benz
2. Put the Benz on the "ride on" trailer
3. Put the balance of your stuff in/on the 4runner and in the Benz
4. Tow the trailer with the 4runner.

Other than that, I like Cebby's idea of hiring a car carrier. You have a huge investment in vehicles that would more than offset this cost.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DH6twinotter

Well, if worse comes to worse, you could put your Runner on one of those trailers that drag the back of your car down the road. Then you could get another trailer for you Mercedes and hitch that up to the Runner. Would be a train! I've seen people do this with their horse and boat trailers. They would hitch one up to the other.

DH6twinotter
Nah, you need a different class of drivers license for that, at least in CA. I think you need a truckers license

Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

getchellad--What did you end up doing? How was the trip?

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-17-2003, 01:35 PM

id be inclined to go with krator on this one if you dont have that much stuff stick one on a trailer and tow it with the other
Old 01-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

double trailers is only legal in some states , texas was one of them , it doesn t take a special license as far as i know , yor best bet would be to hire someone to tow the benz, rent a trailer for the 4 runner , and pack it well and tow it with the runner. the cost you spend on the larger truck to do what you are thinknig of would be close to the same cost anyways . or try this
hire the railroad to ship everything .
i have recently started working for a railroad here in oregon , and im sure something could be worked out , they ship everythnig by rail.
renting those boxes you see on semis and rail cars , the yare the exact same thing they ship vehicles in over seas on boats .

something worth checking in to

erik b of oregon
Old 01-17-2003, 05:47 PM

Hey Guys,
The move was unevenfull. I ultimatetly just ended up towing the Benz with the Uhaul truck and my wife drove my 4runner our here. I was glad we had the 4runner to drive around, because on the way out, there was quite a bit of snow, and it was nice having the 4runner to drive around when we stopped at night.

Were happily settled in Danbury, CT. Are there any forums memembers in this area? Neways, my wife took a job in the ER at Danbury hospital, and I'm still in lawschool at the moment, but yes, they do tax the hell out of you up here. Gas prices are driving me crazy too. Its been a while, since I looked at someone driving a Honda civic and got jealous... Neways thats life. I can't wait until were all driving vehicles powered by fuel cells or hydrogen, and the Arabs have gone back to herding goats....

If any of you guys are close by and are going offroading make sure you shoot me a line. I'm also fairly well equiped with tools, if anyone needs help working on there rigs.
Adam
Old 01-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Great! I'm glad it all worked out!

I've seen people pulling 2 trailers in NE a while back. I guess it may be legal there too.

Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-18-2003, 05:50 AM

Do you have a friend who could drive one of the cars for you? Pre buy a 1-way ticket home for the driver and buy the gas there.... gotta be cheaper than what you're proposing..... I think U-HAUL would make your life a living hell if you ever got caught w/ a truck in their moving van. Besides... I think there is something in the rental agreement to the effect of "using the vehicle in a manner other than intended" or something similar. That my friend, is a legal contract once you sign it.

Dunno.... I'd be afraid to chance it.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:08 AM

Haha, thread brought back from the dead....I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess he's already moved
Old 01-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by getchellad
I can't wait until were all driving vehicles powered by fuel cells or hydrogen, and the Arabs have gone back to herding goats....
I resent that statement :rolleyes:

Also, there is a hydrogen fuel cell Highlander a local college is working on perfecting for Toyota.

Quick Reply: Toyota or Benz or Neither in Uhaul??