Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing/driving long distance in 4H

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:16 PM
MCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing/driving long distance in 4H

Any issue with driving long distances in an '02 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 in 4H? How about towing in 4H. The truck seems more solid in 4H, especially in heavy rain.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bad idea! your drivetrain will load up and bind. 4wd is only for offroad or on stuff like snow/sand/mud etc
Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
bad idea! your drivetrain will load up and bind. 4wd is only for offroad or on stuff like snow/sand/mud etc
Unless he can do it with the center diff unlocked. Then there would be absolutely no problem with it at all. If you are driving straight there will be no binding. It's only on turns with high traction that you will get binding. If you are towing something, I don't think you would need 4wd.

I would say don't do it.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:56 PM

So driving in heavy rain in 4high with the diff's unlocked is bad?????
Old 04-19-2004, 06:42 AM

I'm at a loss. Is this mass insanity of anyone who claims that driving in the rain in 4x4 is somehow beneficial? Logic tells me, that if anything, all 4 wheels spinning independently, with as little resistance to the slick surface as possible, would improve the chances of continuing going in a straight line.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Away

With my previous tires, which were 265/75/16's, driving in the rain around here in 2WD was an "interesting" experience. Let's just say getting sideways was a regular occurence. I could force wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I almost always drove in 4WD. Now, with the 285's, there is just enough of a reduction in torque due to the taller gearing to make driving around in 2WD safe. I suppose the larger contact patch helps too. So, yeah there is some benefit to driving in 4WD in the rain for some people.

If the OP feels safer in 4WD while towing in the rain on the freeway, then I say go ahead. You won't damage anything. Just remember to disengage it when you're negotiating tight turns around town.

My .02
G
Old 04-19-2004, 07:29 AM

Dr. as much as I appreciate your tire burning machine, driving like that in the rain is unproductive.

I was looking for logical explanation for this 'myth' of 4x4 in the rain, besides the obvious traction improvement when accelerating excessively for the road conditions.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Dr. as much as I appreciate your tire burning machine, driving like that in the rain is unproductive.

I was looking for logical explanation for this 'myth' of 4x4 in the rain, besides the obvious traction improvement when accelerating excessively for the road conditions.
Have you ever lost traction when it was raining outside? How about when it just starts to rain and there is still oil on the road? Just because you need more traction in the rain doesn't mean that it is due to excessive acceleration.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 AM

Have you ever lost traction when it was raining outside?
Never, when driving responsibly, not on stock Wranglers, not on aftermarket Revos.

I'm not disputing the obvious, that there is more traction when in 4x4 mode and when accelerating, what I'm inquiring about is this 'surefooted' feeling that quite a few claim while driving at high speeds. That is something I have never experienced, and never was able to even hypothetically rationalize to myself.

I'm sure this phenomenon, if true, can be explained by modern science and the English language, so anyone is welcome to add.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does this guy's truck have AWD with a center differential? i'm of the "old school" and didn't know trucks had such things if that's true, it's fine to run in AWD, just make sure that center diff is unlocked
Old 04-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Away

To expand further on my previous post, I wasn't referring to driving like a maniac. I was simply stating that it was ridiculously (and dangerously) easy for me to turn my truck sideways in 2WD when it rained. The first rains after a dry spell were the worst. I could forget about accelerating from a standstill altogether. I had to crawl up to speed.

Getting onto freeway on-ramps was tenuous at best in 2WD mode. My GF spun 2 full 360's once while doing just that. Afterwards she heeded my advice to run in 4WD mode when it rained. She was of the "old school" as well and thought that she would damage the 4WD system by running it on wet pavement. This is not true. The only caution in the owner's manual and on the visor warning placard is to not run 4WD on dry pavement.

With the old tires, there was a definite improvement with surefootedness when in 4WD mode on wet pavement at freeway speeds. With the new tires, I don't have to do that any more. Once I re-gear, I may need to re-assess things. I can say without a doubt that the 5 Speed puts way more HP and Torque to the ground than the Auto. I feel sorry for you guys.

Peace.
G
Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 PM

Yes, I'm sure the 5 speed has less drive train loss, though I'm not so sure about it having more torque from 'jump starts', but that is beside the point, and a whole another discussion.

What I'm referring to is the ever elusive 'surefooted' feeling while at high speeds. How would you explain that scientifically?
Old 04-19-2004, 08:08 PM

this is why I love to just go out and park at a corner and watch the idiots slide around when it snows just an inch.

Just DONT BE A MORON and slam on the gas when it rains. It should feel fine. Yeah, driving 60+ and hitting a little puddle might make a tire or two hydroplane for a sec but you'll get control back. On corners, dont' hit the gas. There's no point in 4wd, that would just make turning trickier. Everyone here and especially down in Nashville, my 2nd home (kind of), FREAKS OUT when it snows. Hilarity ensues.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kford
Everyone here and especially down in Nashville, my 2nd home (kind of), FREAKS OUT when it snows. Hilarity ensues.
They do that here in Denver as well. I'm really happy when I don't have to drive in the snow, especially the first storm of the year. The drivers here seem to forget how to drive in the stuff during the summer. Downright scary.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:41 AM
MCE

Thanks for all the input! Sounds clear not to drive this vehicle on dry pavement in any four wheel drive mode. From a design perspective, what's the difference between part and full time four wheel drive?

From all the discussion in this thread, sounds like there's strong opinion that AWD doesn't provide much benefit for on-road driving. Does that mean AWD is just another way the automakers have figured out to get people to pay more money for their cars!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:42 AM

AWD and 4WD drive does what it claims, its up to you really to decide if you paid for something unnecessary, or if it really provide stability at high speeds. I have hunch though that tighter steering or more braking from the drive train is what gives off that stability feeling, at least no other sound theory was presented here yet.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Driving in the rain

Whenever it rains, I always put it in 4H when on the highway as it is long and straight, no turning, and it serves as a good reminder, the rain that is, that you should put the rig in 4x4 mode regularaly to keep things lubed up. I would not recommend using 4H for towing, but I would turn on the ECT and a tranny cooler if you tow regularly.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
it serves as a good reminder, the rain that is, that you should put the rig in 4x4 mode regularaly to keep things lubed up.
Or you could try wheeling off-road once in awhile
Old 04-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Bwahahahahaha

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Or you could try wheeling off-road once in awhile
Some of us have real paying jobs, families, kids, and other repsonsibilities and can't just PLAY all the time...like some people I know.

No, serioulsly, I wish I could go offroad more often, but in order to play every once in a while, I must work all the time and doing stuff with my kids and wife come before my rig always. Did I just say that? :pat:

Old 04-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Some of us have real paying jobs, families, kids, and other repsonsibilities and can't just PLAY all the time...like some people I know.

No, serioulsly, I wish I could go offroad more often, but in order to play every once in a while, I must work all the time and doing stuff with my kids and wife come before my rig always. Did I just say that? :pat:

just pulling your chain. 3 more weeks, and well put a few battle scars in it for ya.

Quick Reply: Towing/driving long distance in 4H