95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tornado Fuel Saver

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I will give these a shot…

I think this comes down to cost and reliability. It also has to do with where they make more power (a higher RPM). Most people need low-end torque for daily driving. Cast Iron is cheaper to produce and it dissipates heat and reduces under-hood temperatures better than a standard header without a coating.

Generally speaking larger exhaust is louder and the cost is higher. Again, people want low-end torque for daily driving.

True if you mean power, but for gas mileage the SOHC Honda Civic HX takes the cake.

I think it all comes down to one word: Cost. Not only are the tool set ups more expensive for these parts, but labor is more intensive and general procurement would cost much more. If you start adding these things up, the cost would be notably higher in a lean production operation.

Besides, we wouldn’t get to mod anything if they all came this way.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Headers increase fuel economy and power. Larger exhuasts increase power and fuel economy. A supercharger marginally increased my fuel economy and dramatically increased power. DOHC engines are far more efficient than SOHC engines. A K&N or Amsoil air filter increases air flow and filters better. Ceramic piston rings create less friction than conventional rings. Why don't auto manufacturers install all of these on every car?
And if they stripped down the seats and interior they would save weight and thus increase economy and performance. Same thing if they went with fiberglass bodies. If they removed all the non-essential electrical loads like power windwows, locks radio, that would save as well... If vehicles were shaped like cigars, they would have less drag and that would increase economy and performance.

So your argument is that the Tornado works because there are other things manufacturers don't install that might increase power and economy? Or is it that the those other things don't really work? I am confused as to what you are really trying to illustrate. Either one seems a bit off base...
Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I was merely addressing the question as to why manufacturers don't install these on all engines. I've received countless e-mails and PMs with that same question regarding the Fuel Atomizer. When I answer, "because of cost," I always get the same answer - "they could just pass the cost on to the consumer." That may be so, but why limit it to just a Tornado fuel saver or other fuel saving devices? Why not incorporate headers and pass the cost onto the consumer? Why not make the whole vehicle out of fiberglass and pass the cost on to the consumer?
At that point, I usually get a response that says, "the government is making lower emissions vehicles with better gas mileage mandatory. If [insert fuel saving device] works so well, why don't they install them onto vehicles." By this time, I realize I'm just running around in circles and I stop responding.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 PM

worked great in a friends Miata, for real. 1 more mile per gallon, and a bit peppier
Old 05-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sportJr
worked great in a friends Miata, for real. 1 more mile per gallon, and a bit peppier
You could probably get the same results from an air freshener plus 1mpg + or - can be a result of anything and the Tornado has been proven many times on a dyno to do nothing but if you want to make some guy who has fooled alot of people already more wealthier then I guess it's a person's perogative.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

You could probably get the same results from an air freshener plus 1mpg + or - can be a result of anything
Washing and cleaning my cars does it for me. After a good wash and cleaning of one of my cars it handles better, the engine runs smoother and peppier and the gas mileage improves - for real.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:47 AM

pour in some jet fuel, you'll get better performance J/K
Old 05-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
Send me the $80 that you would spend on it, $69.97 + $10.95 shipping and handling. I will then kick you in the shins and you will have received more for your money than you will get from sending them the money

Worthless.

Rob, is it one kick or two. Because if its one I don't think its worth it.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
Rob, is it one kick or two. Because if its one I don't think its worth it.
For that kind of money, it's two. One for each shin... but order now and I will include an additional kick, in between the locations of the two original kicks

What a deal! And STILL better than spending the money on a Tornado or Helix Power Toilet!

Order now, operators are standing by and quantities are limited...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Rob-
What kind of deal would I get if I bought two of what you're selling?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

steel toe boots right?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Rob-
What kind of deal would I get if I bought two of what you're selling?
heheheh For bulk orders, we include an @ss kicking at no additional cost. Just one more service from a vendor who cares about you...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
steel toe boots right?
Looking down at the cowboy boots that I wear everywhere... no, not steel, just lots of rigid, pointy, leather
Old 05-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
heheheh For bulk orders, we include an @ss kicking at no additional cost. Just one more service from a vendor who cares about you...
wow I wished Steve looked after me that good
Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sportJr
Doesn't a Miata have a regular carb? If so, then that's a different story.

The issue with using one of these on an EFI engine, especially one like the 3.4L in question which has a tight turn at the manifold is that any "good" it does to the airflow is wasted on there being no fuel injected into the air stream, and that tight turn is gonna squash the swirl anyway.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM

I have a Tornado Air system for 4 years. It was designed to create vortesis to allow more air into the cylinder. I purchased mine for about $50.

Suggest you DO NOT buy it. It doesn't create the kind of performance on my ol'95 Toy because of the very effecient pluntem.

There are two things Tornado Air System has done for me;

1) Eat cash out of my wallet
2) Halt vehicle surging during cold start injection periods.

DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:05 PM

I would have to wonder what kinda damage it would do to your engine if it blew apart in the plenum!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by muskie
I would have to wonder what kinda damage it would do to your engine if it blew apart in the plenum!
How would a Tornado Air System blow apart in the plenum?

Here's an informative answer.

Answer is it couldn't. It a single piece of tin. It gets wrapped around the entrace to the throttle body. It's too wide to fall into the throttle body and to large to fit into the plenum.

So what kind of damage would it do? None.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:54 AM

was just thinking of the fins breaking away. I stand corrected.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

If you only put one in, that would be equivalent to an F1 tornado. What if you installed 5 so you would have the effect of an F5 tornado :grin:
About as worthless as my scam, Hornet Nest Piñatas.