Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinking about Nitrous. Maybe a 50-75 shot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about Nitrous. Maybe a 50-75 shot.

I am thinking about adding nitrous to my 4runner to add some power. The supercharger would be great but just costs to much money right now. So I tried searching but to no avail. So has anyone ran Nitrous on there 4runner and is so what Shot and what did you have to do internally for the 4runner to hold it. Im thinking a small shot maybe like 50 to get some power when I need it and anyways purging out of my hood would always look good. So what would I need to do to my engine to be able to hold that 50 shot and what companies should I look into for a Nitrous kit.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM

Dont do it, I messed with nirtous before and it has fatal results. I installed atwin bottle setup on my runner, but never used it. I had a hard time finding 2 step colder plugs. And when I did it cost to much. I just say buy a supercharger
Old 06-22-2004, 09:49 PM

I ran nitrous in my eclipse for about a year with no ill effects. I ran a 55 shot direct port with single stage efi injection. I had Crower nitrous grind cams and eagle alloy rods w/forged enternals, but i ran it w/ease. anything under 75 is miniscule and honestly wont make an engine breath too hard. Now, I wasn't stupid and i'm not saying you would be, but you have to be careful w/nitrous, NO nitrous above 3rd gear, it blows tranny's apart. Also, no nitrous under 2500 rpm. If you are more serious about it i can go into depth with you about what you need to do, what you should do etc. here's pics of my set up
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2913/noshookup.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2913/closeup2.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2913/nosbottle.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2913/nosswitches.jpg
Old 06-23-2004, 02:40 AM

At the levels you describe, you can get away with a completely stock engine. But do be aware that the power doesn't last long before you need to recharge the bottle. This isn't the same as the constantly available performance increase of a supercharger or the like. A NOs bottle charge is good for about 2 minutes of performance.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

I was thinking of adding it ontop of the S.C. and 7th inj.
I am looking at a 50 shot in the air intake tube or maybe a water inj. Maybe Gadget has experimented with this?
Old 06-23-2004, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. Obviously your truck isn't set up for racing, why put unnecessary stress on it? If you can't afford a supercharger, you might not be able to afford the side effects of a nitrous shot gone wrong. However, your truck should stand up to a 50 shot with no other drivetrain modifications I would think.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by paxam
I was thinking of adding it ontop of the S.C. and 7th inj.
I am looking at a 50 shot in the air intake tube or maybe a water inj. Maybe Gadget has experimented with this?
Well water injection is a completely different thing from Nos. Nos is power in a can. Water injection merely allows you to use lower octane fuel when modifying for power.

In my most curteous voice, might I suggest a bit more research would help you in understanding these systems and what you want for your vehicle?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:15 AM

I don't think he was implying that they were the same (I hope). However, both do have a similar effect on the intake charge --> they cool it, and thus prevent knock.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by My99
I wouldn't recommend it. Obviously your truck isn't set up for racing, why put unnecessary stress on it? If you can't afford a supercharger, you might not be able to afford the side effects of a nitrous shot gone wrong. However, your truck should stand up to a 50 shot with no other drivetrain modifications I would think.
Does anyone remember if the 3.4 that blew up a few months back had a 50 or 75 shot on it? Member name was Nx(something). Look him up in the list and PM him.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bennito
Does anyone remember if the 3.4 that blew up a few months back had a 50 or 75 shot on it? Member name was Nx(something). Look him up in the list and PM him.
Yeah he is from PHX and drives a Tacoma.

He was running a SC and NOS though.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KSTacoma
I ran nitrous in my eclipse for about a year with no ill effects.
The 4g63 was also a pretty stout engine but it's unfair to compare that to the Toyota V6,I'd be more cautious with the V6.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:30 PM

I actually had a 420a, even stouter imo. But i had no idea u intended to run nitrous in addition to boost. That is one mix i would not do. If you're boosting 4psi or whatever you are and you throw nitrous in the mix you're asking for it unfortunately. Like someone up there said...not a race engine, if you treat it like on it wont last. If you do decide to do it i'd look into some forged internals and maybe some lower comp pistons etc.
jamie
Old 06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the input. I am looking for more h.p. the truck has all ot the TRD mods so I am just looking for the next level with out pulling the motor.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Yeah he is from PHX and drives a Tacoma.

He was running a SC and NOS though.
That is NX Tacoma and he is only running NOS. He had cams installed. And yes, his motor grenaded.

C'mon Travis, get with it!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by KSTacoma
I actually had a 420a, even stouter imo. But i had no idea u intended to run nitrous in addition to boost. That is one mix i would not do. If you're boosting 4psi or whatever you are and you throw nitrous in the mix you're asking for it unfortunately. Like someone up there said...not a race engine, if you treat it like on it wont last. If you do decide to do it i'd look into some forged internals and maybe some lower comp pistons etc.
jamie

I definitely would have to disagree. 6 bolt 4G63>>>>420a. jmho of course.

Sorry for the threadjack
Old 06-24-2004, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
That is NX Tacoma and he is only running NOS. He had cams installed. And yes, his motor grenaded.

C'mon Travis, get with it!
:pat: Doh! You are right, he was saying after he killed his engine that he is going to rip out the NOS and install a SC.

Sorry Christian, for I have failed you!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:08 PM

Sorry if somebody already said this because I didn't read the whole thing but... Why the hell do you want nitrous? Do you think you're just going to push the button when you want some speed to get on the freeway or something? That's really dumb. Nitrous is really only used for racing because it would be pointless to have for daily driving. Do you want to race your truck? Because NOS is the best $ to power ratio you can get.

And if you are wondering, any engine can handle dry 50 shot because it really isn't that much more power and a low shot of nitrous is very easy on an engine if it's distributed to all cylinders evenly. Plus a simply, dry 50 shot kit would be really cheap and easy to hook up and relatively safe if used properly. But I wouldn't go higher than 50 on a stock engine... maybe 75 but why push it?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by My99
I definitely would have to disagree. 6 bolt 4G63>>>>420a. jmho of course.

Sorry for the threadjack
You are definetly correct;the 4g63 will hold about 400 crankhorse with minimal issues while the 420A is the Neon engine will be toast by 300whp on stock internals.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sunday BBQ
Nitrous is really only used for racing because it would be pointless to have for daily driving.
I disagree - ever seen Ronin?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

How much horsepower would a 50 shot give to a 22RE or 3.4 liter? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Nitrous. Maybe a 50-75 shot.