Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Think you should know

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Think you should know

Just a word of warning to everyone with a 3rd gen 4runner. The rear quarter windows (not the up/down ones) have a rubber seal around them. Last week someone pulled this seal up, used a screw driver or something to bend the metal down away from the piece of glass, and this gave enough play for them to pull the piece of glass right out. Then of course they got in and took the Alpine stereo, Alpine amp, Sirius, Alpine box speakers. and of course the real pisser is they took my SOG Specialty Knives Para Tool Mulit Tool that I've had for 17 years. They were very good. I don't see this as a kill worthy situation, but I'd put one in the bastards knee with my Sprinfield 1911 MIL-SPEC .45. That would be a constant reminder not to be a scum bag. And of course, this is three weeks before I move away from Southern California. Going to be a long quiet road trip.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

By the way, I thought you'd all like to know it's just that easy to get in to the rig. Then again, you all are probably smart enough to have an alarm. I hate alarms but I see one in my future.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont feel bad if scum bags want if enough they will get it....
some people are just dicks
Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM

that's what happened to my 94 last august. druggies took my roadmate 800 GPS(20gb harddrive based kick as$ unit)

Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its also quite easy to just break a window...

nothing you do even an alarm will stop theives..alarm helps a good bit though
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM

alarms only work if people around care enough to do something about an alarm goin off. I'm guilty of hearing on alarm and not doing anything about it, most everyone is. If my truck gets broken into, the mag light is about the best thing they would get....tint is a good deterrent, and when i had a system i would always turn it down going into malls and places i would be parking for a while, if they can't hear it they don't know you have it.

edit-sorry to hear about your loss though, you think Toyota would have thought that one through.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That's why I like my trucks looking beat up . . . if it looks white trash there's probably nothing worth any value in there, right?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 PM

That's right. If they want in they are going to get in. The safest way is to park in a garage, but then again you don't "stay" in the garage all the time. The only answer is to legalize drugs and provide government rationed crack or whatever else these people are using. The kicker is that you know they took over a thousand dollars worth of my equipment, and sold/traded it for a $30 rock. Or it's just some bored teenagers. Oh well. Guess I'll put an alarm in and all new components, then just hope I get to use it for a while. Of course, being a true music lover, I'm just trying to look at this as a Chance To Upgrade!!! The cop was surprised they didn't just break the window. I'm glad they didn't because I just bent the metal back, took the door panel off the inside, losened the window track, put the little window back in its rubber and put it all back together. I was looking at another thread and that unlucky guy had his whole back window smashed out then robbed. I'm going to build a GPS transponder into the next box speakers with wired power and an internal battery. Actually cheap enough to do and oh what fun it would be to call the police and say "the speakers at at lat/long..."
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM

that's a really good idea, that would be great! i would put one on your rig too.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 PM

i have a casette deck. . if someone steals it that just gives me reason to buy a CD player. haha.

thats sucks though. someone broke into my '64 vw bug and did the same kind of thing through the vent window. they got away with a $400 VDO tach/shift light combo, my cds, some 8's in a box, a fire extinguisher and some other stuff. they didnt manage to get the actual head unit of my cd player out, but took the faceplate and did $1200 in damage to the all metal dash while they were at it.

scumbags suck
Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Last february some theives thought the same of my truck, although they just broke that little window. At -30 in Canada at the time I remote started my truck, think I caught them mid-theiving and it must've scared them and they just broke the driver's window to be quicker. All they got was my sirius and a CD case. But between the windows, trim, mirror and cupholder it was $1600 when all was said and done.
And to top it off driving in -30 with the window wide open, she was a bit chilly that night!

Good tip to know though, maybe alarms are a good way.

Last edited by gptoy; 07-02-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Was everything nastily ripped out?

OR was it carefully removed?

Either way it sucks big time. If somebody wants something really badly, they will get it.

On the brightside, they didn't break the window. They made it easy enough to put back it seems.

But still thieves suck balls.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they really want in you cant keep them out. I just make sure nothing valuable is in plain site.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just be glad you still got your runner. i remember someone put my old truck in neutral one time and pushed it like 50' down the street (probly some sick bastard thinkin hes funny) and i thought someone stole it ill never forget that feeling when i came outside and he was gone it was worse than any break up and ive had some bad ones but luckily he was in someones front yard down the street, went right through their fence haha
Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM

They tore the dash out. I was able to get everything back together though except the passengers seatbelt light. I should be able to fix it too just need to strip and crimp some new connectors on. Where the deck bolted on has been broken right off so any new deck will be fun to find a way to anchor. Luckly I had recently removed a bunch of stuff from the rig in the name of better mpgs. I have one size larger tires and hear it can damage the 4wd system even if not engaged to use the original (thus smaller) spare tire so I took it out too. I'd put it back for a road trip but around town is fine. Anyhow, weighed the tire, tools, rear head rests (ha ha, light as a feather) heavy duty rubber rear floor matts and cargo pad etc, came to 99 lbs. Not bad. Then with a MAF and TB cleaning and new air filter I've gone from 240miles per tank around town to 290. Biggest thing is to drive less aggressively but don't seem to be able to stay off the throttle for too long. Sorry, completely off topic. Nice thing is, without a sound system, I can hear my truck all the time and I must say, It sounds good and it sounds solid! Happy 4th of July to everyone.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WolfT
That's right. If they want in they are going to get in. The safest way is to park in a garage, but then again you don't "stay" in the garage all the time. The only answer is to legalize drugs and provide government rationed crack or whatever else these people are using. The kicker is that you know they took over a thousand dollars worth of my equipment, and sold/traded it for a $30 rock. Or it's just some bored teenagers. Oh well. Guess I'll put an alarm in and all new components, then just hope I get to use it for a while. Of course, being a true music lover, I'm just trying to look at this as a Chance To Upgrade!!! The cop was surprised they didn't just break the window. I'm glad they didn't because I just bent the metal back, took the door panel off the inside, losened the window track, put the little window back in its rubber and put it all back together. I was looking at another thread and that unlucky guy had his whole back window smashed out then robbed. I'm going to build a GPS transponder into the next box speakers with wired power and an internal battery. Actually cheap enough to do and oh what fun it would be to call the police and say "the speakers at at lat/long..."
You know...thats a great idea. Then just leave your runner open and hopefully they come take it...it'd be perfect bait. Then track them down and shove it in their ass. Even if it wasn't the same guys again...at least you'd have your justice.

I hate dumb ass people.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM

I think you should know:

you can get rabies from squirrels

you could get run over by a bus

it might rain tomorrow

don't forget your mittens

if you wait too long, milk might make your cereal soggy

jeeze....

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 07-03-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks Big Balls!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
I think you should know:

it might rain tomorrow

jeeze....
Did you have a point Mr. Balls, or were you merely trying to be smart?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
I think you should know:

it might rain tomorrow

jeeze....
I don't get it..........