Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ETRNL
I was think more of ambient air humidity freezing inside the throttle body.
Yeah, the meth will not cause that to be any bigger of a problem then normal. At those kind of temps the methanol will not cause much in the way of temp drops anyways.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So at those temps the meth will just be serving as a fuel supplement. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ETRNL
So at those temps the meth will just be serving as a fuel supplement. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Well, yes and no. pre-supercharger no, it will not be doing much for temps.

In the supercharger the air will get heated and thus the methanol can then cool it back down so outlet temps will still be effected by the methanol quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wanting to put a s/c on my 2002 sr5, my question is which is better? Meth injection or URD's 7th injector? For power gains and long trem.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bigguam
I'm wanting to put a s/c on my 2002 sr5, my question is which is better? Meth injection or URD's 7th injector? For power gains and long trem.
If power and long term performance are your only concerns, Meth injection is the best hands down all day long.

The only issue with meth injection over the 7th injector is you need to be able to get pure methanol. Washer fluid will not replace the 7th injector for daily duty's (it is fine as a temp get you home fluid though).

So if you have a nice local supply of methanol or better yet just spend the $150-$200 on a barrel of methanol. Then run meth injection.

If you do a lot of traveling or getting methanol is not for you, then go with the 7th.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM

How much do you usually pay a gallon? Where do you get yours at?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bigguam
How much do you usually pay a gallon? Where do you get yours at?
Around here it is generally around $3-3.50/Gal. Cheaper then gas. I have a half dozen places locally I can get it, I just buy it by the barrel now, lasts me about a6 months but I inject a lot more then most.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM

ok thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 07:48 PM

What's the shelf life of nethonal I know gas goes bad in. 6 months
Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwill808
What's the shelf life of nethonal I know gas goes bad in. 6 months
Nah, it will last a lot longer then that if properly stored. In a meth injection setup it will last even longer since the biggest worry is it absorbing water which is not a problem.

I have used methanol for meth injection that was a year old without an issue. Now if I was using it as a fuel to power the car that would be a different story.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm going to order the Devils Own stage II generic kit...thanks to you info! Sorry, the rig in my sig is wrong, I need to update it. I have a 2001 with a 4th gen blower, stock pulley, stock fuel, everything...well...stock. I'm 100% sold on doing meth injection instead of the 7th injector.

One quick question: Devils Own has the DVC-30 Stage 2 kit and the DVC-NA Stage 2 kit. I assume I want the one with the 30psi boost port....but the way they have them advertised, it sounds like the NA one is nearly identical. Do you know what the difference is? If any?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

As long as you can get pure methanol the meth injection is great and will work much better. You will need a wideband to get the full benefits out of it. On your setup I would ask for a 7gph & 10gph nozzle.

The NA kit should have a map sensor that reads vacuum, the boost kit will read boost. You want the boost kit.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM

The newer 3rd gens use a wideband AFR sensor in the upstream O2 spot. I actually read my AFR right now using a ScanGauge II. Coming straight from the factory OBDII. I can also see whether I'm in closed loop, open loop, see all my temps. Pretty nifty tool.

I was going to get a URD 2.2 pulley once I get the meth installed. And yes, I can get good methenol from my local race shop. Should I still go with the 7 and the 10 nozzles?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by quicksilvr
The newer 3rd gens use a wideband AFR sensor in the upstream O2 spot. I actually read my AFR right now using a ScanGauge II. Coming straight from the factory OBDII. I can also see whether I'm in closed loop, open loop, see all my temps. Pretty nifty tool.

I was going to get a URD 2.2 pulley once I get the meth installed. And yes, I can get good methenol from my local race shop. Should I still go with the 7 and the 10 nozzles?
I was not aware of a way to accurately read the stock sensor. Doesn't it just output a voltage? How do you know what AFR it is reading?

The 2.2" will work fine, personally I would go with the 2.1" if you have meth injection, you won't have to worry about knock and it is worth another 10hp or so. Yet another advantage of the meth injection over 7th. Too bad we can't run more boost then that, the meth injection would allow it.

Besides the SC/Pulley you are bone stock right? I had headers and needed a little more then the 10gph for mine so I assume you will need a little less then me. Although if you will be running a smaller pulley I doubt it will be anything less then a 10gph so get a 10gph and a ~14gph.

You have some wiggle room on nozzle size with the pressure and you can always mix in a little water if you are too rich. Just got to play with it to see what your truck likes. a 10gph & 14gph should be real close.

Aim for AFR's in the 11.5-12.5:1 range is what I found worked fine for me. You will be a little leaner up top then down low but that is not a problem with the meth injection.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I was not aware of a way to accurately read the stock sensor. Doesn't it just output a voltage? How do you know what AFR it is reading?

The 2.2" will work fine, personally I would go with the 2.1" if you have meth injection, you won't have to worry about knock and it is worth another 10hp or so. Yet another advantage of the meth injection over 7th. Too bad we can't run more boost then that, the meth injection would allow it.

Besides the SC/Pulley you are bone stock right? I had headers and needed a little more then the 10gph for mine so I assume you will need a little less then me. Although if you will be running a smaller pulley I doubt it will be anything less then a 10gph so get a 10gph and a ~14gph.

You have some wiggle room on nozzle size with the pressure and you can always mix in a little water if you are too rich. Just got to play with it to see what your truck likes. a 10gph & 14gph should be real close.

Aim for AFR's in the 11.5-12.5:1 range is what I found worked fine for me. You will be a little leaner up top then down low but that is not a problem with the meth injection.

The ScanGauge II coding handles the interpretation of the OBDII signal. I'm not sure what it puts out. But with the correct SGII code, I read a standard AFR number. The stock ECU keeps it at 14.6-14.7 ALL the time in closed loop, and in open loop it'll go as rich as 11.5. Mild throttle on an uphill at highway speed usually is about 13.8. 3/4 throttle during acceleration gets it down to 11.5-12. I don't ever go full throttle, especially from a standstill....because my transmission isn't very strong for the 1-2 shift.

When you say to aim for AFR's in the 11.5-12.5 range....I will be manipulating that solely with the meth injection rate? Obviously the ECU is going to do its thing no matter what.

I'm just impressed that I can boost this engine this much (future 2.1 pulley) with an entirely stock fueling system and no piggyback fuel control. I like it!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Also, would I be wasting money to buy the URD pre-set AFR Calibrator II? It simply conditions the closed loop signal to be richer than 14.7. So at partial boost in closed loop you have more fuel.

Without meth, I'd say hands down yes...this is a good thing. But with the meth injection is this almost a moot point? If it's still kind of useful, I'll gladly spend $199 to get the best fueling for my engine...but if it's completely moot, then why waste $199, ya know?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

The ScanGauge II coding handles the interpretation of the OBDII signal. I'm not sure what it puts out. But with the correct SGII code, I read a standard AFR number. The stock ECU keeps it at 14.6-14.7 ALL the time in closed loop, and in open loop it'll go as rich as 11.5. Mild throttle on an uphill at highway speed usually is about 13.8. 3/4 throttle during acceleration gets it down to 11.5-12. I don't ever go full throttle, especially from a standstill....because my transmission isn't very strong for the 1-2 shift.

When you say to aim for AFR's in the 11.5-12.5 range....I will be manipulating that solely with the meth injection rate? Obviously the ECU is going to do its thing no matter what.

I'm just impressed that I can boost this engine this much (future 2.1 pulley) with an entirely stock fueling system and no piggyback fuel control. I like it!
Yep, that is just what the AFR's should be doing so sounds like it is reading correctly.

I would get that valve body taken care of soon though or you will be looking for a rebuild before too long. Also, going WOT is not a problem, it is the shift that is the problem.

The AFR's I am talking about are what you want under WOT, if you are already that rich under WOT then you may need a smaller nozzle then I thought, might want to stick to my first suggestion of 7gph and 10gph. Can always order another nozzle later.

The 5vz is a very strong engine, treat it right and it will handle a lot. Turbo guys are making well over 300whp all day long with them.

With the meth injection the 2.1 pulley will be fine, I was running a 2.0 pulley on my truck.

Also, would I be wasting money to buy the URD pre-set AFR Calibrator II? It simply conditions the closed loop signal to be richer than 14.7. So at partial boost in closed loop you have more fuel.

Without meth, I'd say hands down yes...this is a good thing. But with the meth injection is this almost a moot point? If it's still kind of useful, I'll gladly spend $199 to get the best fueling for my engine...but if it's completely moot, then why waste $199, ya know?
Don't worry about the O2 calibrator with the meth injection, it will more then take care of any knock during closed loop and it will richen you up some as well.

The meth injection is great since it fixes all the small issues these setups have in one kit and makes more power and is safer to boot.

Spend that money on a barrel of methanol.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the info man. Greatly appreciated. I'll post up when I get my setup installed!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i read a lot but not all i did not see anything about if you have to tune ur ecu after doing it i know it can only be good but how is every one doing it with a biggy back or are they bringing it to some one??
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and what kinda mpg gains is one getting

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!