Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan install complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just bought my fan out of a 1992 Taurus, but the twin circuit breakers weren't there. How can I get them?

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 02:10 PM

Is anybody interested in trying it on a 2.7?..Im thinking about it real hard, my fan shroud cracked on the bottom last night so I had to break it all off so I could get home.. Anyway I was searching around and I found this article..seems like it would help out alot.

Fan Install
Old 08-09-2003, 04:52 PM

That Ford tech article is listed in the beginning of this thread. It would be a good thing for someone to put one on their 2.7 since I put one on my 3.0 and "Alimony" put one on his 2.4. There is someone else out there that will likely install one on his 3.4, so that will pretty much cover all the main engines in circulation.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:59 PM

Rome,

How do I get the two circuit breakers, because I got the fan, but the circuit breakers weren't there. Anybody know?

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 05:05 PM

They should have been on the wire harness. I got the guy who pulled the fan to take as much of the harness as possible to go along with it. If you didn't get it, and can't get it, don't worry about it. Just make sure to fuse the power lead going to the fan motor, or get an inline fuse holder and install a 40A circuit breaker in it. It will still work without the circuit breakers. They are just good insurance for the fan's longevity is all.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:27 PM

So, are you saying get an inline fuse holder, and place a 40amp fuse on the power wire? I'm not an electrical person, but I can follow directions real well.

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 07:08 PM

Ooops, sorry guys must have over looked the link. Thought I was helping Anyway if I can come up with a fan for a decent price Ill deffinately give it a shot. My shroud is trashed anyway and my fan is kinda beat up. Ill make sure I take some pics when I get it figured out.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Chris,
What I am saying is that you can get a 40A circuit breaker(they install in the fuse holder) instead of a fuse so that it will reset should it "break." You can go wthe fuse route as well, just make sure to carry spares is all. The reason why it is a good idea to have the inline circuit breakers is that there is already one for each fan +12V lead. One for the low speed and one for the high speed. Since you didn't get them the fuses will work just fine.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:56 PM

I'll actually go with the circuit breakers, because that seems to be the best route. Thanks for the help! I don't have a clue about all this electrical stuff. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Chris
Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 AM

I have my fan on order it will be here Tuesday but I need to pick your brains for the wiring of it. Hopefully you guys can help me with part numbers and a wiring diagram to hook this thing up.

Once the fan is in I want it to come on the low speed at 185-190 via a fixed sensor and with the AC, once it is on I want to be able to switch between low speed high speed and off via a toggle switch ran up to the dash. I don't mind paying the bucks for the high amp relay since I got a good deal on the fan but just for extra insurance is there any way to work capacitors into the mix to help with that initial 140 amp draw for high speed??

A wiring diagram similar to the one on the ford page would be ideal but maybe if everybody gives a little input I could draw up the diagram and we could combine all of these Taurus strings into a tech article.

Last edited by mycotopian; 08-13-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 AM

As far as that 130A draw on startup, I don't think that would be an issue as long as you are switching from low to high speed. In other words, the fan would already be moving at the low speed and you would just cut it over to the high so I doubt that it will draw that much. The 100A-130A is a startup current draw. BTW how much did you get the fan for?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I would love that too, because I'm going to be doing mine on my 1997 soon. One thing I just noticed though, is that my stock fan shroud is much bigger than the one that comes on the taurus fan. Has anyone else with a 3.4L bought the taurus fan yet? I've been watching my engine temp via the BR-3 now for a couple of days to figure out a good point to turn on the fan via the fix temp. With the 180 degree thermo already installed, it rarely rise above the 190 degree mark. So, I'm going to get a fixed one at 195 degrees, which if you check what temps the original thermo kicked on at it was 192 degrees, so I figure 195 would be a great time for it to kick on, which won't be much on my truck = better gas mileage when the A/C is off.

Chris
Old 08-13-2003, 09:56 AM

Chris,
I think that you are the "pioneer" for installing the Taurus fan into a 3.4 V6. I am thinking that you might be able to cut the edges off the Taurus fan shroud, and the center of the factory fan shroud, and bolt or rivet the Taurus fan into the factory fan shroud so that it will cool the entire radiator. I have read on the PBB that someone did that very thing on their IH Scout. I am not sure how tall your radiator is, but I do know that it is like 6 inches wider than a 3.0 radiator. Good luck. Whatever you figure out will be a great asset to the other 3.4 guys out there that are waiting for someone to figure out the answers.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 AM

I was thinking about that same idea. I'll let everyone know how it goes. The 3.4L fan is offset which puts it further toward the passenger side. What I'm thinking is that I'll use the longer side of the tuarus fan shroud towards the passenger side, and cut the excess of the stock fan shroud on the driver's side to hopefully center the fan, and possibly elimnate any clearance problems that might exist. I would pop rivet it them together with the taurus fan shroud on the inside of the stock fan's shroud so so air leaks out in between the pop rivets.

We'll see!

Chris
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 PM

seafarinman

I got my fan for $35 + $15 shipping
Old 08-14-2003, 07:59 AM

Bump for a little help??
Old 08-14-2003, 08:53 AM

What did you need help with?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:18 PM

the wiring diagram. Maybe I shopuld make this a new thread??

I have my fan on order it will be here Tuesday but I need to pick your brains for the wiring of it. Hopefully you guys can help me with part numbers and a wiring diagram to hook this thing up.

Once the fan is in I want it to come on the low speed at 185-190 via a fixed sensor and with the AC, once it is on I want to be able to switch between low speed high speed and off via a toggle switch ran up to the dash. I don't mind paying the bucks for the high amp relay since I got a good deal on the fan but just for extra insurance is there any way to work capacitors into the mix to help with that initial 140 amp draw for high speed??

A wiring diagram similar to the one on the ford page would be ideal but maybe if everybody gives a little input I could draw up the diagram and we could combine all of these Taurus strings into a tech article.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:33 PM

The wiring diagram is included with the temp sensor/fan controller, dude. As far as the hi/low selection, I don't have that, since I haven't needed to use the high speed function as of yet.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't overcooling an engine harm it somehow? I think I remember reading that somewhere. Seems like the high speed setting on that fan would do that.

Good find on the Taurus fan, seafarinman. It's got me thinking about pulling my Imperial fan out and swapping that bigger Taurus one in. From having driven my brothers yota and mine, I've seen that there are two different kind of temp guages on the dash... one for an automatic without a tach (his) and one for a standard with a tach (mine). His still has the belt driven fan so I try to compare the driving temps from his to mine but I think his guage is different, because I remember mine reading normal at halfway, as it did with the belt driven and now does with the electric. His reads normal at between 1/4 and half. The only time I've ever had overheating problems is just recently when I was sitting in the middle of the day with the A/C blasting for about 20 mins and I noticed the guage running a little hotter than normal. Just makes me wonder if I should be running a little cooler than I am now.

Quick Reply: Taurus Fan install complete