Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma clunk

Hey guys, if this has been covered eslewhere, I apologize. I did several searches to no avail. Anyway here's what I've got: an '02 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 with TRD offroad package, TRD supercharger, automatic tranny (the only way it comes), the works. It is sweet. Now for my question: when I bring the truck to a stop, I frequently feel a "clunk" or a "thunk" which seems to be coming from the back of the truck. I say "feel" because it is not a noise. It could also be described as a "bump". The symptom can also be felt and even seen at the shifter. Just as the truck comes to a stop or after the truck is stopped and I take my foot off the brake, it happens. The shifter actually "jumps" forward a quarter of an inch or so. This leads me to believe it is in the drive train, but, I don't know. The dealer tells me it is "perfectly normal" that "all Toyotas do it" beyond a certain model year. The dealer also says it is the rear brakes "resetting". Later another dealer tells me it is in the rear end which is my perception. Does anybody out there have the same issue and/or know the cause? Does the Runner do the same thing? It must be normal because two of my buddies have the same truck and they both do it. I also asked a guy with a Taco at the gas station and he said his did it as well. He said his truck, an '00, had always done it and he thought it was his "spare tire banging around back there" and he just did not worry about it. I guess I should not worry either but it bugs me that no one at the dealer can give me a straight answer. If anyone can tell me what's happening, I promise I'll print your response out on my "laser" printer and never ask the question again!
Old 10-18-2002, 01:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

First off I think this is a good question, dont worry about asking it..
I have noticed this on the my runner, but I only notice after I stop from highway speeds.. After I stop, and release the brakes I get a thunk.. It acts like the brakes are slow to release after the gas has been applied...
Old 10-18-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

This sounds exactly like the problen some 3rd gen 4Runner owners have and ti has been traced to the driveshaft splines on the slop yoke sticking and then releasing. When you put the brakes on the nose dips and the rear rises a little. This makes the driveshaft extend at the slip yoke slightly. Sometimes it stays stuck in that longer position till you release the brakes, then it clunks and returns to its normal legnth. This explanes why you see the shifter move along with the noise.

To fix it all it usually takes is a good gob of grease via grease gun in the zerk fittings on the driveshaft. While you are there hit the zerks on the U joints with grease as well. Ungreased U joints are easily broken U joints.

That's at least a good start, if it still happens after a good lube then it might be more complicated.

That line you got about the brakes "Resetting" sounds like mechanic speak for " I don't want to be bothered with your noise." I don't believe it for a second.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Billy,

I recall some guys on ODW talking about it too awhile back. Search over there too.

I don't believe this is normal. I mean, can you imagine selling a vehicle that "clunks" everytime you stomp on the brakes?

This brings up a funny story my friend told me when he worked at Acura: A lady comes in and complains that she hears a "thud" everytime she steps on the brake. So the techs are about to give her the standard "come back in a week if it still makes the noise" b.s. answer when my friend says "Let me road test it with you." So sure enough, he steps on the brakes and hears "thunk". Floors it, steps on the brakes "THUNK!"

So he goes around the back, opens up the trunk and removes the lady's husband's bowling ball! :rolleyes:

Bob
Old 10-18-2002, 02:21 PM

Tacoma Clunk

Billy,

I have the same truck less the s/c. I also had the same clunk. Try lubing the rear slip yoke mentioned in a previous post. That cured my clunk. It does take a lot of grease to fill it up for the first time so don't be surprised if it takes quite a few pumps. You may also notice some smell for a few days after you do it as it slings excess grease on the muffler. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

My 99 taco did that same thing and so does my 02 4runner. Everytime I get the 5k mile service, i have them remove the drive shaft and grease the spline, the problem goes away just up until its time for another oil change. I am told that this is normal and not harmful, supposedly this is quite common especially in tacomas
Old 10-18-2002, 05:06 PM

mine has never done this try greasin 'er up! get out the KY jelly. lol jk
Old 10-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

In both cases for me, it was with automatic transmissions..im not sure if it applies to 5spd's
Old 10-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Tacoma clunk

Originally posted by billyhub
Hey guys, if this has been covered eslewhere, I apologize. I did several searches to no avail. Anyway here's what I've got: an '02 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 with TRD offroad package, TRD supercharger, automatic tranny (the only way it comes), the works. It is sweet. Now for my question: when I bring the truck to a stop, I frequently feel a "clunk" or a "thunk" which seems to be coming from the back of the truck. I say "feel" because it is not a noise. It could also be described as a "bump". The symptom can also be felt and even seen at the shifter. Just as the truck comes to a stop or after the truck is stopped and I take my foot off the brake, it happens. The shifter actually "jumps" forward a quarter of an inch or so. This leads me to believe it is in the drive train, but, I don't know. The dealer tells me it is "perfectly normal" that "all Toyotas do it" beyond a certain model year. The dealer also says it is the rear brakes "resetting". Later another dealer tells me it is in the rear end which is my perception. Does anybody out there have the same issue and/or know the cause? Does the Runner do the same thing? It must be normal because two of my buddies have the same truck and they both do it. I also asked a guy with a Taco at the gas station and he said his did it as well. He said his truck, an '00, had always done it and he thought it was his "spare tire banging around back there" and he just did not worry about it. I guess I should not worry either but it bugs me that no one at the dealer can give me a straight answer. If anyone can tell me what's happening, I promise I'll print your response out on my "laser" printer and never ask the question again!
What you are describing are classic symptoms of axlewrap and you are correct that many Tacoma's have it. Because consumers want a cushy ride, Toyota uses some pretty soft springs for the amount of power that we have. That is made even worse by the addition of a supercharger or by blocks to lift the back end.

What is happening is that your springs are "loading up", that is, allowing the axle to rotate enough to change the pinion angle. The *wump* you feel and hear are the springs unloading and the pinion agle returning to normal. Pumping the slip yoke full for grease will mitigate this on a very temporary and limited basis, but it won't cure it or even address the actual problem.

Many of us have tried to get Toyota to offer a solution, but for the time being they are resisting. So, that leaves you three options. You can live with it. You can install some "kicker" shocks that run horizontal along the springs, perpendicular to the axle or you can install an AAL to stiffen the spring pack. Beyond that, you can install a stiffer spring pack, but that starts to get pricey. AAl's are the usual fix because they are quick, cheap and easy. But, you will need to shop around for some that do not offer a significant amount of lift, unless that is a direction you are thinking of going anyway

While it may be common, this is no more "normal" than coil spring bind or any of the other common suspension problems. It causes additional flexing of the springs, into an "S" shape, which equates to additional wear and eventually sag or failure. The axlewrap problem is much more common in automatics than sticks because of the way the torque converter releases energy.

The problem is common enough that many of our TTORA chapters have FAQ's dedicated to it.

I had it just a bit stock, then I added the supercharger and made it worse. Then I added three inch blocks making it horrendous. When I replaced the blocks with an AAL, it almost completely cured it. Now I am back on blocks to get the extra lift I need and it's back. I have new, custom spring packs that are stiffer and provide 9" of lift on the "soon" mod list and I expect that axlewrap will again be history after their install.

Email me if you have further questions

Last edited by WATRD; 10-18-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:03 PM

Same Issue

I have a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Auto and am experiencing the same issue. I was told by the dealership that it is normal and quite common with Tacomas and to not worry about it. They call it "Driveline Windup" (I'm almost positive thats what he said). Although this gets annoying, I have gotten used to it and it doesnt happen all the time. However, I dont think a $26,000 truck should have problems like these. I could have bought a used Lightning for this price, but then again, its a Ford, and who knows what will go wrong with that thing. Next oil change I will have them check it out and I guess grease it.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:10 AM

Hey fellas, thanks for all the great info. I really appreciate it. It's nice to know what is actually going on. I figured you guys would be able to help. WATRD, you suggested, among other things, installing an AAL. Is that an additional leaf spring type of thing? I haul motorcycles frequently, so, that may be just the ticket (if that is what it is). Do you have any recommendations on what what and where to buy? Thanks again, guys!
Old 10-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Hey fellas, thanks for all the great info. I really appreciate it. It's nice to know what is actually going on. I figured you guys would be able to help. WATRD, you suggested, among other things, installing an AAL. Is that an additional leaf spring type of thing? I haul motorcycles frequently, so, that may be just the ticket (if that is what it is). Do you have any recommendations on what what and where to buy? Thanks again, guys!
Exactly! AAL stands for "Add A Leaf". Installing one will stiffen up your spring pack a bit, increasing your load carrying capacity. So it's an even better bet if you are hauling bikes on those soft springs

There are half-length AAL's and full-length AAL's for the Tacoma. You will be happier with the full length. The full-length is less harsh and tends to better prevent sag.

I don't have the part number off hand for one that produces little if any lift, but I will ask around on the TTORA board. There are a variety of brands available to you and most off-road type shops either stock them or can order them in for you.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, I have two part numbers for you, if you decide to go the AAL route.

Fab-tech 201
Rancho RS60611

Both are supposed to provide an inch or less of lift. Between the two, I would go with the Rancho. It's a longer AAL.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:31 PM

Thanks much Rob! I really appreciate the info. I'm going over to Truck Options this week to place an order for the Ranco. I think that is just the thing my truck needs. It should help with hauling and towing. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks much Rob! I really appreciate the info. I'm going over to Truck Options this week to place an order for the Ranco. I think that is just the thing my truck needs. It should help with hauling and towing. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks again!
Awesome! I am sure that you will find that it all but cures your axlewrap as well as making it so that you don't sag as much in the rear when you are hauling.

When they are first installed, your rear end is going to be considerably higher. Don't Panic! As the springs reform to the AAL and the AAL itself sags a bit, you will come down a bit. You can speed this process up by either loading the truck down with some weight and driving around for a few days or with my preferred method; Find the bumpiest off road trail you can and pound the stuffings out of the rear suspension Either way, it will come back down. If you choose to do neither, it will come down, but it's going to take a lot longer...

I hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:23 PM

AAL vs. Helper Springs

Rob, I went over to the Truck Options store yesterday intending to order the Rancho AAL's you suggested. Unfortunately, they did not seems to be able to find the part number in their computer. The guy did, however, show me a "helper spring" application for my truck made by Hellwig. These things simply attach to the bottom of the stock springs and are supposed to stiffen them up. He says the advantage is 1,500 lbs. added payload with no lift. Are you familiar with this product? Do you think it will help with the Axle wrap problem? Any thoughts here will be appreciated!
Old 10-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Re: AAL vs. Helper Springs

Rob, I went over to the Truck Options store yesterday intending to order the Rancho AAL's you suggested. Unfortunately, they did not seems to be able to find the part number in their computer. The guy did, however, show me a "helper spring" application for my truck made by Hellwig. These things simply attach to the bottom of the stock springs and are supposed to stiffen them up. He says the advantage is 1,500 lbs. added payload with no lift. Are you familiar with this product? Do you think it will help with the Axle wrap problem? Any thoughts here will be appreciated!
I am not familiar with them, nor do I know anyone who is using them. With that said, it sounds like you are on the right track. While I can't speak to the specifics of the Hellwig units, I am familiar with the concept and understand that if they really work as advertised, they should do just the trick for you.

1,500 sounds like an awful lot of added capacity, so I can't imagine how they pull that off. Most AAL's are rated at increasing your hauling a few hundred pounds or so. But, if they stiffen the springs, they will address your "clunk".
Old 10-25-2002, 05:20 AM

I appreciate the input. When I get whatever I ultimately decide on installed, I'll let everybody know the results.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:02 AM

whats the fix for us 4runner folks, with coils in the rear. ouch that hurts!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:58 AM

No fix????:cry:

Quick Reply: Tacoma clunk