Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma and 4Runner... Quick Q...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma and 4Runner... Quick Q...

Im thinking I know the answer already, but want to make sure...

The 3rd Get 4runners... Frame wise, and where everything is as far as suspension with the Tacomas... are they virtually the same?

Im toying with the idea of forking out the money for a 6" lift kit for the Tacomas, and get a 3" spacer for the coils in the rear... wanted to know if its even possible...

blah blah yea I know SAS, but some of us can't afford to do that the right way.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM

*bump* seriously... no one knows? wow... thought this would be a quick question answered...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 PM

It's not that no one knows, it's that we've covered this base thousands of times. Use the search feature to get info. To answer your question simply, It is possible (has been done) but why? I like IFS and SAS but I can't get behind IFS drop bracket kits...

-Sean
http://trailslesstraveled.com
Old 06-01-2004, 01:41 PM

this has been covered before... technically it should work.
But instead of getting spacers you should just get OME landcruser coils or go to rear leafs
Old 06-01-2004, 01:49 PM

I have "heard" you get better flex? with the spacer, I might be wrong, you know how the story goes with the someone told me that someone else had a setup and that blah blah blah....

Well thx for the quick reply... honestly I can see why someone might get bugged by the whole "its already been covered" but honestly IMHO a quick reply or a point to the right thread, is polite... Some might not have the time nor the right key words to enter in the search to spend all day sifting through the returns..

but thats just my opinion... not meaning to make anyone defensive... or start a flame thread...
Old 06-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Well thx for the quick reply... honestly I can see why someone might get bugged by the whole "its already been covered" but honestly IMHO a quick reply or a point to the right thread, is polite... Some might not have the time nor the right key words to enter in the search to spend all day sifting through the returns..
Ducky! I can't believe you just said that! After all the time you have been around here... *sigh*

What you are saying is that while you don't have the time to look something up, someone else should take the time to look for you?

When YOU are the one looking to do something different, something that is not one of the "regular" conversations on here, they it's up to YOU to do the research. THAT is "polite".
Old 06-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, search, you noobie!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 PM

Hay Hay! I know I said that, I just think when you search for Tacoma and 4Runner, or Frame, or something, you will only get ALOT of results...

Im just saying "a" person who remembers a thread or even started one, might be quicker for them to just say, Hay Adam, check this thread out" its a bit more constructive than "USE SEARCH!" i mean, we are all not striving to be hardened a-holes are we? i mean, yes sure ive been around a while to know to use search, but come-on, i dunno how many discussions we had about being a nice and informative community... Like I said Im not trying to start any flames or anything, I guess I should have searched... but I still think,

"Hay Ducky... We covered this 1000 times, search" not a quote..just using this as an example, is kinda rude... I mean sure it might have been covered that many times, but if it has, whats wrong with pointing someone to a particular thread, Especially if you know which one....

Fine from now on, I will spend a while searching the frigging old posts, before getting a quick answer from anyone who might be able to quickly tell me.. my bad... Im sorry I wasted everyones time... honestly... i am.

And yes. technically im still a noob...
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Now don't go all binary on us Duckman... you can ask all the questions you want. My point was that you seemed surprised/irritated in the thread above when people mentioned the reason they were not answering the post. It's not the fact that you are asking questions that gets me, it's that you imply that while it's not worth your time to search, it's worth someone elses time to do it for you...
Old 06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Actually Ducky, I must admit, work is making me a hardened a-hole whether I like it or not.......
Old 06-01-2004, 05:21 PM

... And that's why Im prolley comming accross as a A-hole right now too, and hence asking instead of searching, no time at work to browse alot of posts (new posts is my friend) and I have less time at home to search cuz my new kid and wife wont let me on the computer long... she says im addicted...am not...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
It's not that no one knows, it's that we've covered this base thousands of times. Use the search feature to get info. To answer your question simply, It is possible (has been done) but why? I like IFS and SAS but I can't get behind IFS drop bracket kits...

-Sean
http://trailslesstraveled.com
Wow, I'm usually not one to pull rank...but you've made 49 posts, just joined in May, and you're telling someone else to search?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Sounds like...

Disclaimer: After doing a lengthy search on the technicalities of searching and the liabilities of the questionee concerning the responsiblities of doing a seach before posting a thread requesting specific information I have found the following.

From a non bias point of view(as I do not have a vendetta against hardened a-holes, wouldn't hemmorhoid be a more appropriate term here? and it sounds like a visit to the proctologist is in order on that one) or flamers (is that "politically correct"? nowadays considering the duality of its meaning) I think Ducky was simply looking for someone familiar with the information he was inquiring about and could direct him to it quickly and easily rather than having to devote time to searching in depth. Sometimes one has a senior moment and forgets where the information previously "popped" up and who was the originator of such information.

Sorry Ducky, I don't have you any answers and it seems no one else thus far does either!

Good luck Ducky!

Old 06-02-2004, 05:55 AM

I have some idea now... at least someone was able to suggest some things... I did learn something new though...

And correct me if I'm wrong... OEM landcruiser coils if used on a stock 4runner would give a ~3" lift so OME landcruiser coils would be like ~6" lift? Am I understanding that correctly?

I gotta save money now... my wife keeps telling me that she doesnt want it to be lifted more... but I really think 6" suspension lift is a good idea =)

The only thing is on that fabtech 6" lift, theres some cutting involved... Im not sure if my "garage" is equiped to do that... now... 2500$+ dollars for the lift and the OME coils in back, plus misc things like a 6" panhard drop bracket, brake lines, who knows about the sway bars... can you do a SAS at that price, Im guessing from the posts you can, but I think Id rather do it right and doing it right costs way too much.. so if I do any lift It will prolley be a fabtech 6" lift... If I can find someine with the garage that can help me... (and save the money) :pat:
Old 06-02-2004, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Here's my impression, and don't take this the wrong way, just making an objective observation. I know you've dumped a ton of money into your rig the last few months, including that ORS kit. How many times have you wheeled since you've done all that stuff? My vote is just go out and wheel the damned thing. Its alot easier to get used to new mods incrementally, figure out what works, what doesn't, as opposed to throwing a whole bunch of stuff on, something feels funny, and you're not exactly sure what it is. Do you "need" 6" of lift? Have you been getting hung up on obstacles? You could actually go up to 35" tires, which would give you ~3 more inches, and it would cost you a 1 or 2" body lift, some trimming, possibly a new rear bumper. Check out Steve Schaeffer's setup, particularly his pics from Moab that were recently posted by SteveO. What about going to leaf springs in the back, you'd probably end up with much better flex and ditch the panhard bracket altogether. Just posting a couple more options in case you hadn't thought of them.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 AM

Oh most of my mods is a list on paper... its always moving, just planning it out...

Actually my next mods which the funding is going for is a ham radio, for Search and Rescue, a rear bumper (which is in planning stages) and synth line...

the lift isnt for a while now...

I would love 35's lol I dont even have 33's... I just dunno about body lifts...

I do wheel a bit with Search and Rescue... the only thing is they are a buncha jeepers... plus besides the ridicule I get for not having a jeep, I trust our yota group more than them when offroading... I just don't feel comfortable with them, the last time I went there was this offcamber tanktrap I went across... I was in the mid point, tire off ground, very tippy towards a LOOOONG way down, and they told me to gun it... I didnt feel comfy, I asked them to hook a line up to my rig... I think thye think im wussy, Id kinda hope that you guys wouldnt have thought anything, just help me out any way I could... I am finding new places to go with them, but honestly Im not comfy with them yet... I mean they have trail rigs... I have my daily driver, and they dont seem to care about my well being as much as going out with Rob and you yota members...

So in short, yea I wheel... Yes I know I should drive around before throwing a bunch of mods on, Rob smacked that into me, when I was going to buy a snorkel before my locker... I just like to see what my options are, and how much its going to run... Id like to think some day my rig will be up higher... those traps are already denting my rear bumper.... =)
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Ducky, no worries. I think everybody here has the best intentions. I've posted similar threads to get a feel for whether I'm making a dumb decision or not, without doing the proper homework first. On a side note, I think body lifts get a bad rap, especially on yotatech at times. I certainly wouldn't go for anything over 3", but if a couple inch BL lets you put on 35's, you still get more ground clearance without putting your ball joints at risk or using a diff drop bracket.