Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

taco antenna mod on 90 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taco antenna mod on 90 truck?

I have searched the archives, but cannot seem to find a solid answer to my question.

I have a power antenna or should say "had" a power antenna in my 1990 Toyota xcab. It is not there as far as I can tell, there's just clicking noise when you turn the radio on/off.

So...After reading about the taco antenna mod, it seems that most people doing the mod have newer years trucks and 4runners. Is this just my imagination or...Can I actually use the Taco antenna mod or not?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: taco antenna mod on 90 truck?

Originally posted by blupaddler
I have searched the archives, but cannot seem to find a solid answer to my question.

I have a power antenna or should say "had" a power antenna in my 1990 Toyota xcab. It is not there as far as I can tell, there's just clicking noise when you turn the radio on/off.

So...After reading about the taco antenna mod, it seems that most people doing the mod have newer years trucks and 4runners. Is this just my imagination or...Can I actually use the Taco antenna mod or not?

Thanks
Your power antenna cable, which is really a piece of plastic with some teeth, sounds like it is broken. You could probably fix your power antenna pretty easily. The same thing happened to my 3rd gen 4Runner. The motor was fine, I just needed a new cable. But since I didn't want to have to keep fixing the power antenna or rip it off while off-roading, I just did the Taco whip antenna.

Since I have done the Taco whip antenna mod and know what all is involved this is what I would suggest. Get the non-motorized antenna kit for your 1990 truck; post with radio antenna wire, hardware, mast antenna; they usually come in kits, and then see if one of the new Taco whip antennas will fit. I had to order the 4Runner antenna kit and it came with a nice silver polished mast, but I just bought the Taco whip one becaue it was black and of a different style (thinner). You could always just get your kit and paint the one that comes with it black.

Perhpas TOR on the forum can help you out with finding out some info on the parts involved and whether or not the Taco whip antenna will fit on the 1990 post.

Check out my website for my write-up of exactly what I did.

Hope this helps and get in touch with member TOR.