Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Synthetic mixed with Dextron III

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic mixed with Dextron III

I got a tranny temp gauge installed on my 2002, Tacoma, 4x4, double cab. I had some problems with the shop and I finally thought they got it all right.

I drive the truck home and leave it running, hot and check the tranny fluid. It's full alright, full at cold!!!!! It's about a quart low. Not a huge deal I can fool with it myself.

Then I think "hmmm" I wonder what type of AFT they put in the tranny when they dropped the pan to install the sender for the tranny temp gauge?

So I call and to my dissmay the sales rep checks with the tech and says its synthetic, "what kind of synthetic", I don't know he reply's, it's what the dealer said to use.

I tell him my owners manual says to use Dextron III. He's kinda puzzled. I say, you need to flush my tranny and replace the dextron III. He says ok and I say I am not going to pay for it and he says ok. The place is very reputable in that regard.

I bring the truck in and I'm irritated. I write a not in the truck for the tech that says "please flush tranny it needs Dextron III, not synthetic, and you have to drain and fill and drive and repeat over until the synthetic is gone and remeber to read the level when the tranny is hot and the engine is running otherwise you will not get an accurate reading"

I go in and talk with the sales rep and he does not understand what I'm talking about. I then ask him if he knows about trannys and he says he does not. The manager is standing next to him and I ask him the same question and he does not know the basics about trannys either, he says he knows alot about suspensions.

So, I talk really, really slow and clearly and the sales rep says, "yes we will drain and fill the tranny for you". I said no you will have to drain and fill and drive and repeat. He said we dropped the pan before with all the fluid and I said no there is still fluid in the transfer case, but mean torque converter.

After about 20 minutes they got it.

However, I need to go there Monday when they are working on it and watch them.

I am hoping it did not hurt anything that they put synthetic X in with Dextron in my tranny and I drove it 30 miles and it will sit for a couple of days?

On another funny, but not really funny, note the dealer or the parts people do not have a CLUE!!!! None whatsoever. I called them for giggles and they said I need dextron 5 or something that they sell. I drove by the dealer for a part I needed that they had screwed up on. I said the left screw in the left turn signal and they gave me the right screw. So, I ask a guy in person and he tells me the same thing dextron 5 or something that their new cars run on. I say my truck is supposed to run dextron III and he says dextron III is not available or made anymore. I say yes it is, however Toyota probably does not make it.

I can see why most guys do modifications themselves!!!!!!

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined and do not have much spare time and get constantly interupped by the family.

Not a great day for me, but hopefully they will get it right.

One thing is for sure, and that is I always watch what the mechanic is doing and I did not when they filled the tranny fluid.

Bill
Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all I would say find a different shop to work on your car. Secondly the Dexron III license expired and was replaced by Dexron IV so technically Dexron III is not made under the license from GM anymore, but "compatible" fluids are still made. Dex IV is meant to be backwards compatible.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM

OK, I see about the Dex III license expired. The stuff I've bought says Dex III equivalent. I see about the Dex IV being backwards compatible.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited by Billinsd; 09-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Man this is confusing!!! The thing about the shop is they did not ask me about what atf I have in the tranny?

I imagine the tranny fluid they put in there was T-IV

I'm just thinking if the dextron III works fine, why not just get it drained and run it, drain and run it with the dextron III?
Right?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Dex III should be fine.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
run -don't walk from that dealership service department.

By sales guy I think you are meaning the service writer-get to know one at a shop you trust.

I highly recommend you include your location with your User name-like mine says metro Denver.

A lot of you guys are in LaLa Land or Cali in general. This forum has some good techs lurking and looking for work.

That way folks that live around you can name specific shops to use. And take a guess what Piece of S*** dealership you were at if you do not want to name it.

Get second and third opinions-like using this forum or T4R.org-or by calling other shops and asking a simple question of their service department.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM

Yes, sales guy is also service writer. Sure, I update my avitar. And yes I'm in lala California, San Diego to be precise.

I think also now I realize that Toyota does not carry Dextron III, so they would use T-4, since that is what they sell.

The thing that bugs me about the place I took my truck to is they did not ask me what fluid to put back in there. I should have told them to put in Dextron III. It's like I have to stand and watch and supervise everything.

Another thing I did not mention is I wanted the tranny filter replaced and they said they just cleaned it and that they would have to special order it. I was thinking of reminding them to find one a few days before I brought it in and not what until the last minute to get one.

My brother used to be a mechanic and he said the parts guys at the dealer do not care and a lot of mechanics do not care either.

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry by my use of term La La land I had understood that to be Los Angeles greater metro area, nothing offensive to you sir.

Yes you should not have to supervise whatsoever. They should know what to do and how to do it. But yes, you will need to make a list of pertinent issues so that you cover all your bases when you talk to them about it. The more educated you are about a repair the easier it is for you to talk their language and be sure they are proceeding as they should.

Trust goes a long way here.

There may be independent Toyota service shops in San Diego that you will prefer. Post up a thread or do a search for shops that other Runner owners are fond of and close to you.

I can fully understand why you would be a bit gun shy taking your vehicle for service there, get this work done that they owe you - and call it a lesson learned. The dealerships out here are much better run, you likely have your choice of 4-5 of them and just find the right one.

Best of luck with this follow up visit. Make sure they give you the old tranny filter, that way you can be sure they installed a different one. Some guys go so far as to cut open their filters to see what kinds of gunk is trapped in there. I'm picky some call me anal-but not that far yet.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Ron, no offense on the LaLa land. I've lived in Southern California all my life, the weather is terrific, but I'm not happy with a lot of it.

So, if this place said they cleaned the tranny filter, should I go to another shop and get it replaced?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 PM

The transmission filter is a wired mesh, so it can be cleaned. If you need a new one, Autozone sell the transmission filter for cheap.

I have been using multi-vehicle ATF (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline MaxLife) succesfully over the years on my 4Runner. Some shops may considered all these ATF's to be "synthetic" and you probably got one of these ATF's (most likely not the Mobil 1).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM

My 2002 also requires D3 but when i flushed out my tranny i bought Redline D4...now it has Amsoil Universal ATF. All is good.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ARB1977
My 2002 also requires D3 but when i flushed out my tranny i bought Redline D4...now it has Amsoil Universal ATF. All is good.
TIV is fine in those models, i have an 02 v4 DC 4x4 also...

i use amsoil universal atf.. its rated for Dex3,dex6, t4 and etc... runs smooth as a babies arse