Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger dependeble???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by puka
Ok so it would be alright just to put the supercharger in and change the plugs? my co-worker has been S/C since 2000 and he said he never had any problem with his taco? he said that toyota told him that the ecu self adjust for everything?? so I'm thinking the hawaiian humidity is good for the engine??
You'll be rolling dice with bad odds.

There are people on the forum that have been able to install the S/C with _nothing_ else and say that they don't have trouble. I think I've heard from two folks in that boat. But, everyone else is either running with ping and making statements like "Well, I just don't get on it too hard", or they're running full mods.

The final decision will be up to you, but if you do put it on, and it pings, then you'll be in a spot that you're looking at dropping another $1000-$1500 _soon_ to fix the problem. And if you just "don't get on it too hard" you're only playing a waiting game until the engine detonates.

You don't have to be able to "hear" ping for it to be occurring, and remember, there's no way to know that you're leaning out up top unless you go looking for it with instruments. Both situations are _bad_, either will destroy your engine.

Originally Posted by Captain_Toyota
It only runs about 2 pounds of boost, so I wouldnt really worry about dependability issues.
Ummm... No. The stock S/C puts out about 6 1/2lbs of boost at sea level. I'm running a slightly smaller pulley, and here in Seattle I'm pushing 8psi. I can move one more pulley size down and push 10... Past that, you need more radical fuel mods to compensate for the additional air flow.

The only major downside I can see is that you will probably have to start running 93 octane fuel. At .30 a gallon more, fuel costs can add up fast.
As was pointed out before, in most parts of the country you're talking a difference of $0.20-$0.30/gallon, or $3-5/tank. Depending on how much you drive, the $$$ difference isn't as dramatic as some folks make it out to be.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
You'll be rolling dice with bad odds.

There are people on the forum that have been able to install the S/C with _nothing_ else and say that they don't have trouble. I think I've heard from two folks in that boat. But, everyone else is either running with ping and making statements like "Well, I just don't get on it too hard", or they're running full mods.

The final decision will be up to you, but if you do put it on, and it pings, then you'll be in a spot that you're looking at dropping another $1000-$1500 _soon_ to fix the problem. And if you just "don't get on it too hard" you're only playing a waiting game until the engine detonates.

You don't have to be able to "hear" ping for it to be occurring, and remember, there's no way to know that you're leaning out up top unless you go looking for it with instruments. Both situations are _bad_, either will destroy your engine.

Ummm... No. The stock S/C puts out about 6 1/2lbs of boost at sea level. I'm running a slightly smaller pulley, and here in Seattle I'm pushing 8psi. I can move one more pulley size down and push 10... Past that, you need more radical fuel mods to compensate for the additional air flow.

As was pointed out before, in most parts of the country you're talking a difference of $0.20-$0.30/gallon, or $3-5/tank. Depending on how much you drive, the $$$ difference isn't as dramatic as some folks make it out to be.
Damn I know your right!! I feel the same way! regardless of what my co-worker tells me lol,so if iget get the 7th injector kit do you think it would be safe that way? if so then I thik I need to talk to the wife again LMAO cause now it's going to cost more hehehe, ok so I need the S/C plugs and 7th injector kit, and I should be safe right?.....thanks for all the replys guyz big SHAKA
Old 07-03-2005, 01:29 PM

...if iget get the 7th injector kit do you think it would be safe that way?
You should be fine with the 7th injector kit. I would hold off on the plugs until you see if the 7th alone will take care of things. It might, and if it doesn't, then a set of IK20's are about $50 off of eBay and you'll be "close enough" that you can wait the week for delivery and install.

I went to 1-step colder plugs, and in the case of running the SMT solution, I _don't_ believe that I needed them. The SMT is fully programable in regards to timing and I was able to handle the ping issue by backing off the timing.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:39 PM

The best deal going on a TRD Supercharger with URD fuel delivery and engine management.

http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merc...=SUPERCHARGERS

Gadget
Old 07-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
The best deal going on a TRD Supercharger with URD fuel delivery and engine management.

http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merc...=SUPERCHARGERS

Gadget
You know I would get that but I'm not a gearhead I dont know how to install all off that!! which SUCKS but hey, but do you think if I get that my local toyota dealer will install all of that? could I install the urd or 7th kit after the S/C is installed?

Last edited by puka; 07-03-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Yes you can install it after the supercharger is installed, but it does add to the work having to take the supercharger off again.

Gadget
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Yes you can install it after the supercharger is installed, but it does add to the work having to take the supercharger off again.

Gadget

˟˟˟˟˟ that sucks!!! thanks for the info bro
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 PM

˟˟˟˟˟ that sucks!!! thanks for the info bro
Ahh.. don't let him spook ya' (j/k pokin' at ya' Gadget!).

Once you've gone through putting the S/C on, you learn that it comes off REAL quick. When I was messing with injectors and had my knock sensor issues, I got to being able to strip the engine to the fuel rails in well under an hour - including pulling the hood and getting my _hand_ tools out.

But like we've said above... If you're thinking that you'll want/need the fuel upgrades (and you SHOULD be planning to do it), then it's of course easier to do it when you have the top end apart the first time.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Ahh.. don't let him spook ya' (j/k pokin' at ya' Gadget!).

Once you've gone through putting the S/C on, you learn that it comes off REAL quick. When I was messing with injectors and had my knock sensor issues, I got to being able to strip the engine to the fuel rails in well under an hour - including pulling the hood and getting my _hand_ tools out.

But like we've said above... If you're thinking that you'll want/need the fuel upgrades (and you SHOULD be planning to do it), then it's of course easier to do it when you have the top end apart the first time.
lol well I not a mechcanic so I have to let toyota do it for me like I said I'm just a LEAD FOOT hehehe, thanks for all your replys though! will let you guyz know when it's in hopfully in a month or two ....need to bring the credit card down a bit LMAO.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 AM

I've had my dealer installed 1st gen supercharger on since '99 and have driven over 80k miles with it.

It rattles a little in the morning when cold and idling, but after driving a few minutes it settles down to a quiet idle.

I guess it's about time I start looking into some of these additional add-on etc.
So many things to do, and so little time (and skill)!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crux
I've had my dealer installed 1st gen supercharger on since '99 and have driven over 80k miles with it.

It rattles a little in the morning when cold and idling, but after driving a few minutes it settles down to a quiet idle.

I guess it's about time I start looking into some of these additional add-on etc.
So many things to do, and so little time (and skill)!

Is your S/C stock..meaning any other modifications like fule upgrades 7th injector kit or urd kit? nice color blue runner BTW
Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Yeah, stock supercharger. No mods, no nothing.

From what other people are posting it sounds like I've been lucky so far.
I guess once I get my ball joints replaced I should start figuring out how the S/C and the upgrade mods work.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, stock supercharger. No mods, no nothing.

From what other people are posting it sounds like I've been lucky so far.
I guess once I get my ball joints replaced I should start figuring out how the S/C and the upgrade mods work.
you might want to look into an s/c rebuild. I think the kits are pretty cheap. Check urdusa.com about the kit. I think they sell them.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with everything Mark has said, and pretty much everyone else. I would also like to point out that I pulled my SC'r from a donor rig with 197K miles on it and no fuel mods. The power delivery was poor and it pinged pretty bad (no fuel/timing mods at all, just the TRD SC'r kit). The point is that this motor is pretty tough, but taking chances on it is never a smart move. Even with the Walbro 190, cooler thermostat, and two step colder plugs I have slight ping at low RPMs with my foot in it. I have an SMT6, which I plan to install when I have time. It will allow me to tune out that ping, just like the FTC.

The SC'r is an absolute blast! I love it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Dang, you guys are just trying to get me to drain my pocketbook again aren't you!!

Just after I was recovering from the cost of the lift, now I gotta plunk down another grand on supercharger mods. :cry:
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Just after I was recovering from the cost of the lift, now I gotta plunk down another grand on supercharger mods. :cry:
Try my approach...(prices are approximate)

Walbro 190: $85 URD
2 step colder plugs: $15 URD
170 degree thermo, seal, Redline Water Wetter: $20 NAPA
GM Red coolant and distilled water: $10 WALMART
SMT6 and all necessary hardware: $350 shipped

<$500 installed by you. With a stock pulley and proper tuning, you can tune out the ping with this combo.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-07-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I thought I read somewhere that a 170* thermostat was prefered over a 160*
Not sure if that makes any difference,....
Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I thought I read somewhere that a 170* thermostat was prefered over a 160*
Not sure if that makes any difference,....
You were probably looking at my post when I had 160 in there. My bad, it's a 170.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

"Midiwall"
"<96 Runner>"

If you have a moment, can you tell me just what all is involved with tuning out the s/c ping with the SMT6? Do I need a notebook? Do I need a 7th injector? Do I need additional software? How big of a project is it?

I am capable at wiring; I fairly well understand electronics. Program writing makes me nervous, however.

If I can get away without the expense of the 7th injector, I would like to. Plus, I don't recall that I have seen one listed for a '97 4Runner.

--Thank you.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iBilinTuc
"Midiwall"
"<96 Runner>"

If you have a moment, can you tell me just what all is involved with tuning out the s/c ping with the SMT6? Do I need a notebook? Do I need a 7th injector? Do I need additional software? How big of a project is it?

I am capable at wiring; I fairly well understand electronics. Program writing makes me nervous, however.

If I can get away without the expense of the 7th injector, I would like to. Plus, I don't recall that I have seen one listed for a '97 4Runner.

--Thank you.
Mark is my mentor, so I would look to his expertise. He has a thread about the SMT6. Try searching for "SMT6" and you should find what you are looking for. I am still in the learning phase too...maybe I will get it running good and I can help you out or send you my maps. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Supercharger dependeble???