Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stupid Stealer! (dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Stealer! (dealer)

So... after my replacement steering rack install i went to the stealer to get some fluid for the power steering. I wrongfully "Assumed" that the parts dept knew what they were talking about. When i asked for fluid to go into my power steering they gave me power steering fluid. When i put it in my truck it did not sound quite right and it felt "different". I searched around the fourms and realized the power steering takes ATF fluid. Someone her mentioned Mobil1 Syn ATF, so i drained and got out as much of theo ld as possible and put in mobil1. The power steering was much smoother and quieter like it was supposed to be.

Last edited by Alin10123; 02-18-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
asked for fluid to go into my power steering they gave me power steering fluid.
Um...am I missing something here? Isn't that what they're supposed to give you?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah you just gotta love those parts department guys. Us technicians can't get along with them and they can't get along with us. If they give us the wrong part and we confront them about it they will get pissed off, even if we asked for a battery and end up with a mirror. Lately at my dealership they have been losing money because they won't immediately bill out our parts on a customer's vehicles so we get paid labor but the customer saves money on parts so now our customers just come back to us.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neo541
Um...am I missing something here? Isn't that what they're supposed to give you?
Yeah I must have missed it myself. Yes they did give the right fluids but normally you can put in ATF in the powersteering in place of ps fluids.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Yeah I must have missed it myself. Yes they did give the right fluids but normally you can put in ATF in the powersteering in place of ps fluids.
I dunno... the power steering pump had a different noise to it than normally. THe owners manual says ATF fluid only. It doesn't say anything about PS fluid. I know sometimes they are interchangeable. I guess the PS pump just didn't like PS fluid. After i flushed out the PS fluid, the pump sounded much nicer and more normal.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
So... after my replacement steering rack install i went to the stealer to get some fluid for the power steering. I wrongfully "Assumed" that the parts dept knew what they were talking about. When i asked for fluid to go into my power steering they gave me power steering fluid. When i put it in my truck it did not sound quite right and it felt "different". I searched around the fourms and realized the power steering takes ATF fluid. Someone her mentioned Mobil1 Syn ATF, so i drained and got out as much of theo ld as possible and put in mobil1. The power steering was much smoother and quieter like it was supposed to be.

Alin,

This may come off very harsh, but its advice...nothing personal, ok? That said...

I don't know what else to say but, you still don't learn, dude! I got on you about searching about some other topic a week or two ago and I've just read through two (or was it three?) of your threads you started about changing out your brake fluids...and it seems that along every single step of whatever youre doing, you ask questions that could be researched and answered...but ultimately, you are learning things too late as in your experienced here.

Like you said, you made assumptions. It didnt work. Then you researched and figured out what you did wrong. The process works better the other way around!

The community members here as you know are very helpful, but you really need to do more homework before you start a project and if you are unsure, ask those questions BEFORE you start.

Bob
Old 02-18-2005, 03:08 PM

If my memory serves me right when replaces the steering rack you have to prime the rack in a way while filling it. My guess is you filled it and just drove it. None the less if your owners manual says to get atf then do so. If you ask the parts dept. for PS fluid they will do as asked. They did nothing wrong if what you tell us is correct.