Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Street 4Runner Diet Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose "performance" is a subjective term.

I guess what seems odd is the idea of building a 4runner to street race. Do you go compete with pathfinders and xterra's? Did this start by looking at a 2wd 4runner and thinking "that would be a sweet race car", or driving one and thinking, "man this thing is fast, but it needs to be 100lbs lighter; who needs a spare anyway?".
Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If someone hasn't already said. The older 4runners and trucks do indeed come with gas tank skids.(At least the 4wd's do, They didn't make 2wd 4runners until 90, at least I don't think) I don't know what I would do without it....probably not wheel.

Last edited by bob200587; 03-28-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jetboy
I suppose "performance" is a subjective term.

I guess what seems odd is the idea of building a 4runner to street race. Do you go compete with pathfinders and xterra's? Did this start by looking at a 2wd 4runner and thinking "that would be a sweet race car", or driving one and thinking, "man this thing is fast, but it needs to be 100lbs lighter; who needs a spare anyway?".
i didnt read anywhere this thread being about racing, but just gaining MPG
Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Just FYI, I know I saw a 4runner somewhere that broke the u-joint on the driveshaft and it hit the gas tank and the 4Runner burned to the ground, and it had a skid plate and no supercharger. I don't know if its worth it.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by QSVeilside

Mastacox,

I will be going with IForged racing series forged aluminum wheels. Their 20 x 10" application weighs the same as the stock 16" wheel, exactly 22.5 lbs, which is nice... I'll have to decide whether to go with their 16"s, which will be around 16 lbs each or go for the "bling bling," haha. I have heard that each pound of unsprung weight equates to the effect of 8 lbs of sprung weight. In other words, going with the 16" application that saves 6.5 lbs per wheel, will have the effect of removing an additional 208 lbs of non-rotational material off of the truck. Awesome suggestion as well.
Who are you buying your iforged wheels from? **I know a guy**
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Take off one of the front wheels. You really only need one.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM

this thread is hilarious. this is why i have a sports car and a truck.

but anyway ill list what i did to my car maybe it will give you some ideas.

stuff removed

abs actuator, bracket, lines
cruise control soleniod under hood
ac compressor, lines, condensor under dash
stereo, speakers, amp
all interier behind drivers seat, including seats, belts, everything
spare tire, jack

stuff replaced with light weight pieces

exhaust
seats
suspension components
wheels

i figure ive removed about 300lbs worth of stuff
Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Take off one of the front wheels. You really only need one.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Last edited by QSVeilside; 11-18-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the comments guys. ROFLMAO! Primarily because I knew this would initiate flames from SPECIFICALLY those of you who don't know how to read.

Let me get some thing straight before proceeding. I mentioned how weight reduction improves all aspects of performance in the first post. Those of you that posted without reading should maybe go back, spend a minute, and read. I think the goals speak for themselves. I would like to retain comfort as well as cosmetics while reducing weight.

Furthermore, I understand that yes it is indeed an SUV. Buy a sports car? Check. Prior car was a 97 Supra tt bpu+++ ran consistent low 12's at 125 mph at our track while it was still open, dyno'd 400 rwhp. Bought an IS350 riding on Eibachs and IForged wheels for the wife. C&D, R&T whatever got a best time of 5.3 seconds 0-60. Another source got 4.9 seconds. This truck is my daily driver. I knew the mpg, performance wasn't great going into it. Don't need folks to re-emphasize the lack therein. Is it possible to improve? Yes. Are there folks interested in improving performance? I guess that's why TRD and URD are still in business. Common interest right fellas? What makes weight reduction ANY different than slapping on a supercharger that puts out 300 hp at the crank, (see sig).

Stock these trucks do 0-60 in 9 to 10 seconds with a 17.5 quarter mile ET. The reason I bought the supercharger was so I could get on the freeway. If you've been to Hawaii you would realize how short our onramps are. 190 hp in a 4000 lb vehicle gets you nowhere quick. Now, the truck runs and handles as a normal 14 second car would, with gas mileage that's reasonable. I don't find anything funny or hilarious about that.

Read the first post? Great. Once again, what exactly is unclear?

ditto
Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
The diameter of the wheels and tires is always a huge deal. If you really want to get the truck faster, you can go down on the diameter. This reduces the moment of inertia.

Think about this for a sec. Is it easier to sling a weight on a string that is 4 ft long, or the same weight on the end of a string that is 1ft long.

Also you can switch out your stock seats for some light weight sparco or recaro seats. You can probably shave off about 60-80 lbs with those. Of course comfort will be sacrificed, but hey you're going to be able to stay planted in your seat very well.
I agree. However, isn't inertia dependent on two factors? Overall diameter of the wheel AND tire, and the weight of the combination? Thus if you find 18 x 8"s that go with lower profile tires to maintain the same height as stock, you will reduce inertia if you can find them in a lighter than stock weight. Not sure if that was clear.

Will keep the stock seats for now. But thank you for the suggestion.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Jee man, they're only joking......well some are. (for QSVeilside)

Last edited by TOY89; 03-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
believe it or not..those front skid plates actually help airflow under the car as well...not just adding protection. without those, you'll create more turbulent air under the motor, thus causing the truck to use more fuel to push through the air. minimal effect, but significant none the less, especially if youre wanting to increase fuel mileage. and the runner already has a drag coefficient of a brick.

but i do like your thinking especially for 1320 times of 'if you want more power, add less weight' but then again...runners arent made for the quarter mile, nor are they speed demons. however, toyota has taken the 'more power add less weight' train of thought into the last model supra. they shaved every ounce of weight possible. things like single exhaust, and hollow carpet fibres & bolts all reduced the weight of that beast significantly...
I agree 100% with your comments.

Aerodynamics play a MAJOR role on sports cars, not so much on brick shaped SUV's that have ˟˟˟˟˟ for aerodynamics to begin with, and do not exceed more than 60 to 70 mph on the freeway.

I hear you on the supra. Never single turbo'd mine. There's a limit to how much power you need on this rock.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ric
I did.
geuss what Im unclear with is, if you "knew"
what you was buying, and did it anyway, and now your trying to make it lighter, faster, etc. trying to make it something its not. what was the point in buying it in the first place
Theres better choices out there for what it seems your trying to do.
I can't really help you can I. Why? Because you blatantly choose not to see the obvious to prove an irrelevant point. Once again, explained in the first post, and reiterated in the recent response.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ric
I did.
geuss what Im unclear with is, if you "knew"
what you was buying, and did it anyway, and now your trying to make it lighter, faster, etc. trying to make it something its not. what was the point in buying it in the first place
Theres better choices out there for what it seems your trying to do.
I'm on Q's side, no question. I mean, he's doing the same thing you are, except he's trying to lighten the truck a little; it IS a 2WD after all, what's the beef??? Why did YOU buy a 4Runner if you planned on lifting it and adding armor, "making it into something it's not"... I mean, you could have bought a '77 Jeep or a tube buggy with TWO straight axles if you wanted a trail rig after all... There are better choices for what you're trying to do as well!

My 4Runner is supercharged and I'll be putting LT IFS on mine. Hell I might even put a cage in back and stab 13" travel shocks through the bed, but then I might be making it into something other than your definition of a 4Runner...

Get the comparison?

Last edited by mastacox; 03-28-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Last edited by QSVeilside; 11-18-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM

I agree. However, isn't inertia dependent on two factors? Overall diameter of the wheel AND tire, and the weight of the combination? Thus if you find 18 x 8"s that go with lower profile tires to maintain the same height as stock, you will reduce inertia if you can find them in a lighter than stock weight. Not sure if that was clear.

Will keep the stock seats for now. But thank you for the suggestion.
thats not right. although the overall weight may be less than stock, with a larger wheel your placing more of that weight further from the center of the hub, which will increase rotational inertia.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by alexe
thats not right. although the overall weight may be less than stock, with a larger wheel your placing more of that weight further from the center of the hub, which will increase rotational inertia.
Got it. Thanks.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html
Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Quick Reply: Street 4Runner Diet Thread