Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

stolen cat replaced/now control arm broken from mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrashDH
And to Jeremy...I have had my aftermarket for over a year now, and I haven't thrown any codes. I did notice you said poor aftermarket cat. The Magnaflow seemed to be reputable that's why I went that direction
Exactly. I don't think there would be any quality issues with a magnaflow. They do have a reputation to uphold. When I say a "poor one" I mean the ones that most exhaust shops keep in stock. They are universal. I have seen a few installed backwards as well!!!

BTW The main killer of cats is unburnt fuel down the exhaust. I have seen some cats literally RED HOT from a bad misfire.

Some people just don't think there is a problem when your check engine light FLASHES at you.

Last edited by jeremy9allen; 06-10-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrashDH
Did your MPG's go back up after the OEM? I had around 18 mpg when my OEM cat went bad. Usually cat's don't go bad unless the sensors are gone, because that is what regulates what is being burnt up inside of them. The harder they work, the less time they will last. OEM though IS the best replacement because of the metals used in manufacturing. My mpg dropped about 1 mpg when my cat went bad. I could tell this was the case because the honeycomb that is inside was coming out of the tailpipe and the rings that are tack welded inside were rattling around.

You could say that having an aftermarket cat would be similar to straight piping your vehicle (since they aren't as efficient). Even when you straight pipe your vehicle you won't lose that many mpg's.

I live in MT so I replaced my cat with a Magnaflow aftermarket cat. Have had NO issues with my mpg at all. With that replaced and my O2's replaced, my gas mileage has gone back up. It seems fishy to me that you would drop up to 8 mpg just because you had an aftermarket cat... they might not pass emissions in CA, but they seem to be legal (and work for that matter) in other states...

And to Jeremy...I have had my aftermarket for over a year now, and I haven't thrown any codes. I did notice you said poor aftermarket cat. The Magnaflow seemed to be reputable that's why I went that direction

yes, mpg improved after install.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeremy9allen
Some people just don't think there is a problem when your check engine light FLASHES at you.
I have had a check engine before, but I knew what the code was. It wasn't detrimental to the truck, just a mpg or so loss in fuel. Being I was a poor college kid (still poor but not in college anymore), I let it go. I had to take a road trip from Montana to Cali (took the milk run, through Wyoming, Utah, Nevada....) and the thing bugged the $h!t outa me. Electrical tape over the light solved my problem. I know not the CORRECT way, but it did for the time being.

*Note: she's all good now and doesn't scream at me.