Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stock 4runner and Uwharrie

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 4runner and Uwharrie

Well my question is how much stuff will be broke on a 1995 stock runner with 31's at uwharrie? :pat:
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 PM

Wouldn't worry too much about anything getting broken.. as long as you stay off daniel and dutch john trails. Those are both labeled "extremely difficult" which is a bit over exagerated, but a lift/lockers are very helpful. All the other trails should be fine in a stock 2nd gen. I just went there over fall break (oct. 15-16) and had a blast. Have fun!!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:00 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by corvettelvr73
Well my question is how much stuff will be broke on a 1995 stock runner with 31's at uwharrie? :pat:
I would say nothing, really. Watch your rockers and skid plates and just be carefull.

I wheel a stock and I mean stock 98 excab taco with 30" dueler at's. No lockers here. The only thing I do have done to my taco is v6 coils on the front that gave me .75" of lift. I am usually the smallest tire'd person out there. Except for the few mall-crusier jeep cherokee's that have 225 streets that had to turn around after like 5 minutes.

I have done all the trails out there. There are usually easier lines on the hard trails that you can use to bypass the big stuff. The hardest trails are Daniel, Rocky Mount, and Dutch John. From my experience(which isn't a whole lot), I think that Rocky Mount is the hardest. The easy line there isn't that easy.

Either way, you will have fun. Just be carefull and I would suggest going with another person. A winch would be nice too - just in case. Also if you know someone that knows the area - that helps out alot. Plus they know the different lines on the trails. It is easy to get lost out there. :pat: But there is usually lots of people out there that are generally nice.
Sorry for the book......HTH

Have fun! Just use your head.

Oh yeah, if it rains....you will be in for a heck of a ride! Rain out there can make the easy trails pretty difficult.

Last edited by 88toy4x4; 11-03-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is Uwharrie? I'm in southern SC and I see you all are not too far from me. I'm itchin' to do some different off-roading!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 AM

Uwharrie is in central NC about 30 min. outside of Asheboro. It's a pretty big ORV area for ATV's and Off-highway vehicles (includes jeeps/trucks), also areas for hunting. It's $5 for a day pass at most of the local convenient stores.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds great -- I'll have to look into it further.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:39 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by 4mydogs
Sounds great -- I'll have to look into it further.
Here you go-Uwharrie. That is the main site for Uwharrie.

Also there is this link too - LINK
Alot of info on the first page. This the last trip I went on to Uwharrie. The next one is going to be around april or something. Keep a look out at 4x4wire's trail ride section and you will see the posts for the next isuzuwharrie run. Don't worry, the isuzus don't bite. They are a very cool group of good friends from up and down the east coast.

Hope this helps.
Maybe you can come next time. It will be nice to know someone close to home.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just making sure all you guys know about that tellico trip this weekend!!

sorry to hijack but it seems that they answered it pretty well. Its all pretty easy, the only thing you have to worry about is how wet it is. If its real wet your definatly going to want a good set of tires. Other than that you should be in the clear. Can't help you mutch on the front end because I got my tjm before the first time I went through. Last trip though my buddy with his stock taco (locker and tjm and thats it) made it just fine. He did scrape his hitch a couple times but he also had a huge multi ball hitch on there and he forgot the correct key so he couldn't take it off. If its dry, it should be a piece of cake. Traction is the only thing that could slow you down if you keep off the "most difficult" trails. I'll get jon to take a look at this thread b/c I think a stock 2nd gen made it up one of the "most difficult" and it was even driven by a noob.

You should be fine...
Old 11-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks very much to you both! Uwharrie sounds great! I had seen some mention of Tellico on here before, but never got around to figuring out exactly where it is. This weekend I have other plans already, but I definitely want to keep track of what is coming up. I'll check out the 4x4wire next.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Tellico is on the border of nc, ga and tn. Its a bit more hardcore than uwharrie. If its your first time I'd suggest going to uwharrie first. Also really you want a lift and sliders for tellico, but it can be done stock. Just very sloooowly They have great campsites at uwharrie and even a lake so you can take a dip after a full day of wheel'n. Stay at badin lake campgrounds. They should be closing soon for winter but you might be able to squeeze in? I'm sure it has their dates on their site. I try to keep all the runs in our area on the 4RocNC site http://nc.4roc.org/ in the trips section. I only really read here though. I don't have enough time for this palce and 4x4wire. I don't think I could get up if I started browsing a whole other site!

Last edited by turboale; 11-03-2004 at 01:14 PM.