Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

steering wheel has quarters in it

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel has quarters in it

New here with an interesting prob.

I just got my 96 runner yesterday. i new it had a few probs when I bought it. I searched and searched, over 500 threads and couldnt find anything. I did however, find all the info needed to get me where I'm at now!!

basically when I turn the wheel 1/4 turn either direction, its sounds like something is rubbing and there is loose change in there!!! Today I used info from these threads to remove every thing on the collumn. I couldn't get the shaft to come out though. While i was pulling and pushing, i must have popped something into place or something. i thought my problem was due to the wheel not locking. i came to this conclusion cuz it locks now and the sound is gone.

my Q is, has anyone ever had a prob like this? Should i worry about its return? I am not new to funny noises on lifted vehicles, but it drove me nuts the few times i drove it.

lemmee know
thanx

PS I have 2" BL and a tilt collumn
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm could be the cv joints

Last edited by Elton; 09-29-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
hmm could be the cv joints
that's what i thought, but everything seemed ok. the noise is gone i guess maybe it wasnt? I dunno, not my area of expertise
Old 09-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Ok its not his CVs becuase it was a noise from inside the cab in the steering column. It sounds like the little cam thingy that locks the wheel when the ignition is off was out of position. If you have the covers all off I'd take a careful look at the area from all angles looking for anything thats loose or not bolted/ screwed down all the way. If this is all good carefully reinstall the covers and all should be good. You might want to avoid locking the steering wheel with the mechanism under load ie when you are parked with the wheels turned into the curb at full lock and you have to strain the wheel over that little bit more to get the ignition to lock.
edit: something else you might want to have looked at is the universal joints in the steering column... I think there are three... one at the tilt wheel... one at about the mid point of the shaft and the last at the steering box. All of these are subject to wear and can become loose, requiring replacement.
If they fail while on the road... RIP.
Hope this helped Aviator