Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Stabilizer Questions/Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 11:01 AM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I've even tried a small sledge hammer against a block of wood to try and beat the new stud in, but it still won't go in that last 1/2" (approx.). I just dont' know what else to do. I don't want to beat directly on the stud for fear of marring the threads. Any more ideas? What if I just leave the damn thing off? Sorry for the frustration guys, but I just want to get this thing done!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:28 AM
CTB

What about using the nut on the back side of the stud to tighten it and draw it through the link? I guess I run the risk of stripping the threads in the nut, but I don't have any other ideas!

The longer this goes on, the longer I wish I would still have my stock stabilizer on there!
Old 12-27-2003, 12:12 PM

You are going to hate hearing this but I got a stabilizer for Christmas. A pickle fork and 3 whacks with a hammer and it was off. The whole re and re took half an hour. Sorry for your problems, though. I've been there before.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:34 PM
CTB

Nah it's cool. Everything from the old one is off...I just can't get the new stud to slide completely in the steering link. Any hints or suggestions? I have whacked it with a wooden block and a regular hammer and a mini-sledge...but there is still about a 1/3" of stud that is supposed to slide into the steering link hole. Any other help guys...I'm lost!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 12:40 PM

What kind of stabilizer is it? Mine was an Explorer ProComp. The hole on the steering arm is tapered but a couple small taps with a hammer forced the new shock mount in. It's a totally different system than the original one.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:03 PM
CTB

Mine is an OME. However, a few small taps of the hammer didn't get it in all the way, and I don't want to mangle the the threads by hitting it any more! Any suggestions kernel?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTB - are you sure you are putting the right end in the shock? The side that goes in the shock bushing is actually a bigger diameter than the one that goes into the centerlink. How do I know this? I had it the other way around and proceeded to drill out my center link. I realized the whole taper thing after the damage was done. I bought a new center link off of a guy on Ebay for like $35. Definitely the dumbest thing I've done to the 4Runner

Is there a burr of some sort in the center link hole? take a good look in there. It should go in pretty easily.

Good Luck.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:48 PM
CTB

Hey Mike,

Alright, thanks for all your help man.

Here is what I've done...

1. Removed the old stud out of the center steering link.
2. Grabbed the new silver stud that OME provides with the kit.
3. Started inserting it into the center link with the tapered end going in through the front of the center steering link (this leaves the un-tapered side of the stud to go through the actual stabilizer bushing).
4. After pounding with a wooden block on the end of the stud, there is still about 1/3" of the tapered part of the stud that should be sliding into the center link, but I can't get it to budge any more.

I just don't see how I could have done this wrong...but one thing is for sure, OME's directions suck! Anyway, have I done everything right up to this point? Do you guys have any other ideas? Thanks again for everything-

Cody
Old 12-27-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine doesn't bottom against the washer on the stud if that's what you are thinking. I just ran out and took a pic. Mmmm....nice and dirty...

Old 12-28-2003, 04:16 AM
CTB

Ahhhh, incredible. Thanks so much Mike...a picture is worth a thousand words....and in this case, a thousand less frustrations. That is exactly how mine looks now. Once it warms up enough this morning to go out and work on it, I'll take a pic and show y'all how it looks. Thanks again for all your help Cebby...next time I run through Pittsburgh I owe you one

Have a great Sunday guys.

Cody
Old 12-28-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Well Cody it looks like your headache is finally over (crossing fingers) give me a call later today and let me know how it turned out. Have a good one!

Jonathan
Old 12-28-2003, 05:27 AM
CTB

Cool man, will do. I'm heading outside in a few minutes to finish tightening the nuts up and hopefully be done with it all!!! (praying ) I just hope one of the nuts isn't too stripped to go on the back of the stud...that would just be great!

Anyway, I'll give you a call later on Jonathan. Hopefully you can get all the supplies you need to do the grill and hopefully your lights will come in tomorrow. Talk to you later bud-

Cody
Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 PM
CTB

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your help on this. Just one more thing...do any of y'all have any idea what size/thread pitch the nut is that OME supplies with the kit for the back part of the replacement stud system? The one I got with the kit had some busted threads, so I just need to get a new one to complete the project. Thanks a ton everyone-

Cody
Old 12-29-2003, 04:25 AM
CTB

Originally posted by CTB
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your help on this. Just one more thing...do any of y'all have any idea what size/thread pitch the nut is that OME supplies with the kit for the back part of the replacement stud system? The one I got with the kit had some busted threads, so I just need to get a new one to complete the project. Thanks a ton everyone-

Cody

...bump for one last try
Old 12-29-2003, 08:04 AM
CTB

Just thought I would add one more post to bring this thread to an end...

For anyone's information, the nut needed for the OME stud system is a M12 x 1.50mm pitch...I found it this morning at the local hardware store.

I just wanted to thanks everyone for the help and tips - especially Mike. The last photo you posted (with the OME washer not sitting flush against the steering link) was just what I needed! I suggest that photo and a little caption be added to the write-up...hopefully it will help folks in the future!

Again, thanks to everyone. Take care fellas-

Cody