Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stainless Steel Brake Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stainless Steel Brake Line Question

I have been looking for a set of stainless steel Brake lines for a while now. I really like the SMC ones that Gadget and others had used because they seemed like they were pretty close to stock length and they had the additional coating. However, it appears than SMC has gone out of buisness or something because I can neither get to their web-page nor contact them via phone.

While undoubtedly there are other places that carry similar lines, all the ones that I have been able to locate are 4-6" longer than stock. I might get them a couple (2) inches longer so that I could raise it slightly if I later decided to do that, but 4-6" seems like they would be too long for a number of reasons.

Does anyone know where to get good approx. stock sized lines?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are you reasons for not getting a longer (4-6in) brake line?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
What are your reasons for not getting a longer (4-6in) brake line?

1) Hard to Bleed properly
2) Needs to be attached somehow(wrapped around something, perhaps curled) for stock height setup.
3) More Likely to get snagged on something and torn
4) less firm (firmness is function of resistance to expansion and distance of material)

This is just what it seems like to me should be the case. I may very well be wrong...If I am please let me know.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Heh, you should see what I did! To extend my brake lines I just stuck on an extra factory rubber brake line. That's 12 inches extra.

- I didn't have any problems bleeding them.

- Mine aren't restrained, but I am a little worried about that. I'll probably do something about that soon.

- You're unlikely to snag it on anything because the brakeline is above the axle, although it is possible.

- A longer SS line will be a lot more firm than the stock rubber line.

IMO, I don't think 4-6 inches will be a problem.

Steve
Old 05-05-2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
IMO, I don't think 4-6 inches will be a problem.

Steve
Yeah, It certainly sounds workable. I just didn't want to even have to worry about them. I had even considered doing the unthinkable and dropping my vehicle 1-1.5" because with the big tires it can be a bit hard for the shorter folk (S.O. in particlular) to get in. If I were to do this, it seemed that it would aggrevate any long condition.

I spoke with AOR and they said they would custom make them but that the shortest they go is 3" over stock (a limitation of the crimping device). That's not too bad...So I'll probably go that route if I can't find any shorter. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:01 AM

Update

I went ahead and got the brake lines from AOR. I spoke with Randy there and he was great! I spec'd them out at 3" over stock so that came out to 2 12" lines for the front, and 1 18" for the rear (stock is approx 9" front, 15" rear). They appear to be made by Earl's or using Earl's components(the best). They are installed and the extra length did not pove to be the slightest of problems with my stock height rig.

Well, to get to the point, I love them and would recommend them to everyone! They made a huge difference in brake feel.

I am a definate stickler for "high and tight" brakes, and the brakes (even with new pads) were at about 50% IMHO. With the lines I'd rate them at about 90%. Also, I get much more feed back. It feels as though, through the pedal, I can feel every irregularity in the rotors as they turn by.

The only thing I find still lacking is that somehow the brakes seem to tighten up after I use them a couple times...They start off slightly more soft, and after the first couple stops they are very nice for the remainder of the trip. It may be that they are still braking in.

I noticed a post by Gadget where his brake push rod was not adjusted properly from the factory. If the brakes don't even out, I might check this out as I think the lines are doing exactly what they should.

Last edited by Sucellus; 05-31-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Great! How much?
Old 05-31-2003, 10:09 AM

$89 + shipping is what Randy is listing the set for. That was also the lowest price for them that I could find, and with the brake improvement I'd say it was a deal!

Good luck
Old 05-31-2003, 10:44 AM

Although I have been informed by the toyota certified mechanic who installed the lines that there would not be any problem in terms of rubbing, there are some very experienced people on 4x4 wire who do not agree. Thus I feel I need to reference these alternate opinions here so that anyone reading this may make an informed decision.

4x4Wire
Old 05-31-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: Update

Originally posted by Sucellus

The only thing I find still lacking is that somehow the brakes seem to tighten up after I use them a couple times...They start off slightly more soft, and after the first couple stops they are very nice for the remainder of the trip. It may be that they are still braking in.
That's just the open system pulling fluid out of the reservoir to fill the space left after the system cooled down from last time you drove it. Perfectly normal, though you should check to make sure your fluid level is correct.

It is possible that there is some air in the lines, but the brakes would pump up to super tight or even rubbing after they warm up, and it doesn't sound like that is the case. If it were, you'd just need a quick re-bleed.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Update

Originally posted by ohio
That's just the open system pulling fluid out of the reservoir to fill the space left after the system cooled down from last time you drove it. Perfectly normal,
Interesting. It may be my old lines were so mushy that I had simply never noticed the difference before. It doesn't feel to me like air in the lines--as they do firm up nicely. Thanks!

Last edited by Sucellus; 05-31-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sucellus

1) Hard to Bleed properly
4) less firm (firmness is function of resistance to expansion and distance of material)
1) Not really - just you the mitymite vacuum and you don't have to pump the pedal, it's a one man job.

2) the difference between a 12-14" line and a 14-18" line, being braided stainless steel, that will be negligable, if it were rubber then I would agree.

I don't have mine restrained either I just positioned it so the natural bend was up toward the body and away from the drive shaft.

89 bucks is the usaul price for the whole set by most manufactures I've looked at. I run one that was made for a Taco in the back and I have yet to change the fronts out because the ones that came with my ProComp kit (for 79.95) had the banjo style fittings and the fronts on my runner are thread on both ends.

Last edited by keisur; 05-31-2003 at 09:17 PM.