95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

so my transmission died...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sharrack
I'm still puzzled at how you could have felt the slipping at 44,000??
Maybe just a bum unit or the previous owner did something unusual.

How long do 3rd gen Runner tranny's last anyhow?? under normal conditions.
I would guess 113,000 miles to still be the infancy of most toyota driveline parts...........with proper maintenance that is.
Kenny S.

Wow.........did you get a price on a rebuilt unit?
I may have gone that way especially since the used unit is now costing you 2,000. Yipes!
Kenny S>
jeez, ok ill break it down

it will be almost 2000 INSTALLED.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly
Great.... that makes me all warm & fuzzy inside. I do agree with the others, a Hayden cooler is the way to go. Quick install and worth the peace of mind since heat is the number one killer of trannys. Not sure if your 'fluid change' constituted a full flush, if not, its definitely worth the extra nickles, whether you decide to use synthetic or not.

Sounds like you just got a bad unit or the previous owner abused it if its had a slip that long....
yeah i guess it was doomed from the start. my fault for not addressing it upon purchase.

and yes i meant full flush.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Ditto, here too.

Sorry to hear about the tranny Lee. I had heard from John (over at IPT) a while back that the 01-02 trannys were a little weaker than previous versions in some areas. I can try to dig up the thread if I get some time to do so. If I were going to have someone rebuild it, I'd take the trip to bring my old one down there to have him do it since I think he's a little cheaper than Level 10 (not 100% sure on that).
ill take any info you have... id love to see more on this.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you never know... the first 43,999 miles could have been with a SC & 7th injector installed that the PO or the dealer removed before selling it to you. that would certainly explain some slippage at 44k.

IPT = http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

Level 10 = http://www.levelten.com/store/import...ges/toyota.htm

Last edited by bamachem; 01-26-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:01 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i guess its possible but judging by the fact that it was more or less untouched in every way makes me believe that is not the case.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also, when/if you call them, you should have an A340F transmission since you have the multimode transfer case.

Last edited by bamachem; 01-26-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned

ive never expeirenced a slipping transmission, exactly how do you feel slipping, when it jolts? one thing about my tranny as it feels kinda brute and not smooth.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 AM
lee
Contributing Member

more or less a jolt, yes, but it is frequent. for example, if going 60 on the highway and i let off, when i hit the gas again it will jump.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
also, when/if you call them, you should have an A340F transmission since you have the multimode transfer case.
thanks. yeah, i got the code from an fsm, and verified it. this tranny is out of an 01 4wd sr5 similar to mine.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Banned

hit the gas hard or no? wow i guess im slipping because it will do that to me, time to talk to the parents for a 4wd tranny
Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

yikes...˟˟˟˟˟ty deal lee. 113K does seem suspiciously low, i guess your tranny was one of the exceptions to the rule of toyota's longevity. definitely makes me want to put in my tranny & PS coolers now, dont want to wait till its too late.

are you running stock 4.30's? my buddy was running 305's, stock gears on a 4banger auto (!) and his recently took a dump, but at well over 250K km's. im thinking his gearing and hard wwheeling may have been a factor....something to think about.

good luck with your fix!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

wow sorry to hear about this lee. im sure a afew months and youll be back to normal
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
yikes...˟˟˟˟˟ty deal lee. 113K does seem suspiciously low, i guess your tranny was one of the exceptions to the rule of toyota's longevity. definitely makes me want to put in my tranny & PS coolers now, dont want to wait till its too late.

are you running stock 4.30's? my buddy was running 305's, stock gears on a 4banger auto (!) and his recently took a dump, but at well over 250K km's. im thinking his gearing and hard wwheeling may have been a factor....something to think about.

good luck with your fix!
cooler will def go in for me too.

its time to think about a regear, but not till i have a stockpile of money

i have stock 4.10's, not 4.30's... with 33x12.5's. i need to move up to 4.88's.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
wow sorry to hear about this lee. im sure a afew months and youll be back to normal
try a few days

i get my truck back on wednesday of next week, i cant wait.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
ill take any info you have... id love to see more on this.
IIRC the issue had to do with the output planetary gear being made of a lesser material on the 01-02 years, but don't quote me on that. I can't find the thread(s) I am thinking of but if I come across it I'll post up for sure. If someone else remembers this too, help me look if you would.

.....might also explain why it went all of a sudden if it was the gear.

Did you hear any noises besides the engine when you lost power?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-26-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
lee
Contributing Member

for a week or so before it happened i was hearing an odd howling noise when i would lightly hit the gas. i was going to get it checked out, thinking it mightve been a tcase problem.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
thanks. i am surprised as well, expected longer life out of my tranny than 113K.

oh well. big tires, lift and daily driving and long drives to wheel cant have helped

im looking forward to seeing how the new tranny feels.
Stepdad's tranny in his 02' Runner Went at 124K!
Mostly highway, never saw a day of off-roading (maybe once but more dirt road then actual full on off-roading like most of us do)
And the occasional tow here and there...
And his tranny was nice and tight too, i mean you hit the gas and man did it go!

I think some people just happen to get a fluke tranny...

MTL_4runner Is right in his sayin about the planetary gear, thats what went on Stepdads Tranny.
Stepdads went when it was in gear, going up a hill and it was like bumpin the shifter into Neutral and reving the engine, when he tried to put it back in gear it started to grind.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neliconcept
hit the gas hard or no? wow i guess im slipping because it will do that to me, time to talk to the parents for a 4wd tranny
Whoa... there are a couple of things that can be called "slipping". Before you panic, be sure that you're actually slipping.

The classic case in the A340H tranny (the 3rd gen auto) is slipping between 1st & 2nd. To hear/feel this, set the ECT button off (light is out), pull out from a stop light (not hard) then floor it. As you approach the shift point to 2nd, keep an ear out for how "sharp" the shift is. It should be crisp and catch pretty quickly. On a stock tranny it shouldn't be head-snapping.

If it seems like the engine revs high, then there's a shift (revs drop) and nothing happens for a bit (i.e., no further acceleration), then you're slipping.

There should be _some_ slipping (it makes the shift smooth for the soccer moms) but not enough that makes you question "umm, why ain't I moving faster?".

The other symptom of slipping is what Lee's talking about, and this is the snap. It's kindof an extension to the above, but what will happen after the shift is that the engine RPMs will stay high and then "all of a sudden" the tranny grabs with enough kick that your head will snap. This is similar to the feeling of a strong racing tranny, (or an IPT modified tranny) but the experience leading up to thee snap is different. In a strong tranny, the shift seems to be right where it should, in a slipper, it clearly shifts late - the engine RPM has gone past the point that it's continuing to produce power.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Watching intently

My transmission only has 108,000 miles on it and I have occasional troubles with it on cold mornings. I back out of my drive way just fine, but when I put it into drive, it just revs. I have to down shift to 1st to get it to go, then I can shift back to D after 100 ft

My ATF is good looking, but I bought it from a Toyota dealership and they did thier 100 point inspection or whatever before I bought it, so who knows what the fluid looked like then

Erich
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thats worse than mine ever was

mine never did anything bad like that, it just slipped a little then went suddenly

Quick Reply: so my transmission died...