Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Snow Chain Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow Chain Options

We didn't get the snow we were originally told so a few of my friends and I went up towards Sassafrass Mountain (highest mountain peak in SC) to find some action. A few miles up we finally ran into 5 inches. None of us made it past the first stop sign as it was too slick and uphill. I've been considering snow chains and been searching and yes I've searched YT too but nothing really pertaining to me. Here are a few questions. I've been looking at these 2 http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...b=1&lang=en-US and http://tirechaindealer.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

1. We don't get much snow here but my wife is an EMT paramedic and is required to come into work no matter the weather. I have a '98 4Runner 4x4 while she has an Eclipse. Would it be better to get snow chains for mine or hers? We plan on getting 4. I'm fine with staying home while she drives the 4Runner during these events.

2. If we decide on getting a set for both vehicles would tire cables be best for her car instead of chains?

3. I've got to get a new set of tires anyways but 31" are too expensive and the chains are more expensive too. Can I buy the chains for the 31" even if I change my mind and go back to factory tires 225-75-15 and use the chain tighteners for future uses?

4. Do you still use 4x4 high when running chains? From what I've researched you do not want to drive more than 40mph on these things so I know any higher than that 4High is running nearly at it's limits.

I apologize if these are stupid questions. We rarely see snow chains in my state so this is a new area for us.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
well my truck and i went through 21 winters, and no snow chains. I am not saying i never needed them, but streets got cleared quickly. Yes and from what i saw, go under 40 with chains. mmm never saw cables?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Teuf
well my truck and i went through 21 winters, and no snow chains. I am not saying i never needed them, but streets got cleared quickly. Yes and from what i saw, go under 40 with chains. mmm never saw cables?
You have to remember us "southerners" don't know how to drive in snow as we don't get much of it. I just wanted to get a set so my wife could get to work safely without me calling her every 2 minutes to know she's okay. Last winter we got 6 inches dumped on us and she had to work at a station in a rural part of town. She left 2 hours earlier and still wind up an hour late because the roads were bad. The sand trucks didn't even run on the road she was traveling on.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got chains for the runner (2)- a good set. cables have always failed me eventually...

remember, practice installing them is essential to proper use/confidence. i'd venture to say most people don't use them because it takes "too long" to get them on. i can get them both on and off in under 5 minutes... it doesn't deter me anymore.

if the tires have a very close clearance in the car, you can usually only go with a special "S" type cable. the 4 runner will give you more options in style/price.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Nut: so my best option is to get them for my 4Runner and let her drive it instead of the Eclipse? It's at factory height and there is about 3 inches from the tire to the fenders.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM

You shouldn't need chains to get threw snow. You more than likley just need a better set of tires. Chains are used for icy condtions. I have taken my t4R threw 12"+ of snow with no problems.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 PM

yeah, your runner will be fine in the snow.. just remember to have good set of tires. The chains are only good for if you're going in really deep areas. I just took my runner out for a spin in the field, i just got new set of bfg ko's and ripped off the running board and completely ignored my mother trying to give me lecture lol. So i went out in the field where there's all kind of ice and thick snow. it was was fun and my runner did just fine. didnt really need to use the 4 wheel drive other than getting out of the ditch that i didnt see coming lol. dented my bumper, oops.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Well in 2003 (or 2004) we got 3-4 inches of solid ice no snow stayed for days. The South don't get it often but gets it bad every couple years. For your wifes profession and its commitment probably worth it even if the sit in the garage for 5yrs. Shoot, I still got the generator we bought even toted it across country. Was the storm Tim Hayes lost his legs in the storms aftermath.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Ice/snow it doesn't make a difference down here. We don't drive in it often and it seems no matter the condition or brand of tires we still slip and slide snow in snow or ice. Yes I know the rules of driving slow down, don't slam on brakes, give plenty of following distance, etc... My primary questions are which vehicle is best to put them on, chains vs. cables, and 4hi vs. 2wd with chains on. As far as tire sizes I found it would be cheaper to get 265-70-15 instead of 31" as its nearly identical in size and metric size is cheaper.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've always done well with a 5spd front wheel drive car, and now do well with 4wd 4rnr. I would think that the 4rnr would provide awesome traction with snow or ice with chains.

Lived in Charlotte from 95-05. Used to joke how a forecast of snow and the grocery stores sold out of bread, milk, and beer. I learned the hardway that it was more or less a floating holiday so stopped trying to go to work. Use to take the tire and handles off the wheelbarrow for a sled.

But your right the roads get nasty in winter weather and folks aren't used to it so it. But the truth is about the same for this area of WA too.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
My primary questions are which vehicle is best to put them on, chains vs. cables, and 4hi vs. 2wd with chains on. As far as tire sizes I found it would be cheaper to get 265-70-15 instead of 31" as its nearly identical in size and metric size is cheaper.
An Eclipse w/ chains will do pretty good, a 4runner w/ chains will go almost anywhere. If it's bad enough that you need to chain up the 4runner, then you'll want to be in 4wd most of the time too. It's up to you when to use 2 or 4wd and it's fine to use either w/ chains on. I live in an area where chains are required for 2wds several days out of the year because our town is in the middle of a forest and there isn't a flat or straight road for 30 miles and we usually get 1 to several feet out of a single storm.

I run "severe service" tires in the winter and they work awesome. Look for the mountain w/ the snowflake symbol on the tires - they are rated much better for snow than normal M+S rated tires. I use these in lieu of chains, (although we are still required to carry them) but I also have a rear locker and more ground clearance than a stock runner. I have Dunlop M/T Maxx Tractions and another good severe service tire to check out is Goodyear Duratrac.

CABLES SUCK! Don't freakin bother. They don't work for crap and they break easy. I see broken sets on the side of the road after almost every storm. If you get chains (for either vehicle) spend a little extra $$ and get chains w/ ice breakers. They have rectangular metal chunks welded on to each link that bite into the ice. You can't slip w/ these if you tried.

Get the right size chains for the tires you have. Chain tighteners will NOT make a chain that's too long fit. If you use chains that are too long, you'll just throw them off your tires and lose them. If anything, get some extra links that have the screw locks on them so you can just take off or add a few links if you need to accomodate smaller or larger tires. My 33" chains will also fit 31" tires if I remove 4 links or so on each side of the chain.

One more thing, if you chain up a 4x4, you will get even more traction if you put the chains on the front because the weight of the engine. But keep in mind, they won't do you any good when you're in 2wd. I don't see really any reason why you'd want chains on but not want to use 4wd.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:48 AM
ESQ

Good tires for snow, chains for ice, as already said.

I just pulled a guy out a guy with chains three times before this picture was taken. Snow is about a metre deep here, but I could float on it with the tires. Chains dug in and got bogged down.

If you are serious about chains, get square link or v-bar and do both axles. You may have to downsize your winter tires to get enough clearance.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is an interesting thread. How much do a set of chains for 33 12.50's cost?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 AM
ESQ

tirechains.com has a good selection. They aren't cheap for decent chains.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 AM

I use these http://www.tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM easy on and off..I have 16" of snow and live on a 30% grade road. Happy with them. I've ridden up Sassafras on my road bike twice, it's steep..
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 AM

some of the coolest chains i have used are the emergency chains ( for when you are already stuck) the chain part goes over the tire tread and the strap part goes under through the rim and hooks back onto itself.
greg smith sells chains and they are a good company to work with. we purchased a tire machine and balancer from them and they have been more than helpful.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Sn...hains-s/34.htm
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 AM

some good thoughts--one thing not mentioned is 'studs'--don't know if they are legal in your state but when used appropriately they are very good for what sounds like u need--granted my family only drives 4-wheel drives but i've always bought my wifes 4runner a set of good fairly aggressive studded tires that i can throw on in the fall and take off in the spring--i've done the same for my daughters rigs, one 4runner and the other abit of a maverick with a CJ--the tires we run are bought from a series of tire stores that will do the swaps for free if you don't have the desire to do it yourself--just a suggestion--
unfortunately i have quite abit of experience with chains for my log-truck and they can be a pain in the---, well u get my drift--
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So it's about $100 for a good set of chains for 33-12.50's. Do you need chains on all 4 wheels, or can you get away with just two?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM

You just need better tires. The snow that hits SC is much different than the snow out west or in Canada. Wet heavy snow with sleet and ice mixed in. Much more difficult to drive in than the dry stuff that packs down. The reason the metric sizes are cheaper than 31inch tires is b/c most of the time 31inch tires are LT's. Just buy some good tires and if it's ice- don't risk your life for a job. If they need her to come into work- tell them to come get her in the ice. Chains aren't going to do crap in an ice storm.

Last edited by Mulkey; 12-20-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mulkey
...don't risk your life for a job. If they need her to come into work- tell them to come get her in the ice. Chains aren't going to do crap in an ice storm.
I don't think driving on ice is risking your life anymore than any other normal daily activities as long as you have the proper gear. And chains will help tremendously in an ice storm - that's pretty much why they were invented. Some people just have to get to work, period. Especially paramedics. The world can't just stop because the weather isn't good.

Quick Reply: Snow Chain Options