Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Silver_truck's top head rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, that would work. I regrettably used some cheap no name stuff and it's already starting to see the effects of header heat. Any quality heat/sound blanket would be fine.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Cool I'll look into that, I'll be fixing my grommet/ghetto cb wiring job which will keep some more sound out
Old 03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Freeze plugs are pointed to by the yellow arrows in the pic. There a few more on the side of the block too. Im think 2 a side, but im not sure.

Geoff, you know photobucket accounts are free....
Old 03-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Ya, I'll sign up for one, one of these days. Theres 3 in the valley 3 on each side of the block and 2 on each head, will take pics today. Also will scratches on top of the piston caused by a gasket scrapr, brush etc. have much of a negative effect on the motor? I need an answer quick!!!
Thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hey chickenlover: what kind of breather setup did you do? I'm lookin to do this while I have the intake etc. off
Old 03-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Hey chickenlover: what kind of breather setup did you do? I'm lookin to do this while I have the intake etc. off
I have been experimenting with a simple open pcv breather for a couple of months now. It's not working out. I can't get rid of the raw fumes no matter where I place the breather. I've tried placing it everywhere. It's currently under the rear of the truck. It still stinks.

I am going to be setting up a pcv catch can tomorrow. With this setup the fumes will go back into the plenum and hopefully the catch can and the filters will keep the oil out of it. I will be posting a write up. Look for it in the next couple of days.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

cool sounds good, i was thinking of just a filter like on muscle cars and stuff but didn't know if that would work, ill look for that write up, hopefully its done before i finish.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

So I found aplace in town (Evergreen Automotive) that does flow testing and and ultrasonic cleaning (just like cruzin) for $13 per injector so I dropped my injectors off there today to get them done, will have them back along with new injector/intake manifold seals on Monday afternoon, so I'm pretty stoked to have found a place in town that will do a good job. Will post pics as I get more pistons cleaned
Old 03-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Where I left off today, piston 1 and 4 are nearly done. The paper towels are soaked in carb cleaner so that I can keep it in contact with the entire piston.

Number 1 below
Old 03-18-2005, 07:17 PM

Looking Good

Looking good so far. Your piston heads are coming alot cleaner than mine. I'm gonna try the paper towel soaking method I think tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the pics of the freeze plugs. I still have questions if someone would mind helping? 3 in the valley, it looks like 3 per side of the block, but for the life of me I can't find them on the heads. How many total plugs?

Man I love watching these build ups. I really need to finish mine up.

-=Morphine=-
Old 03-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'll have to check today when I get out there and I'll try to snap some pics of the heads on the 4-runner motor if they're still here (long story, heads were assembeld the wrong way and were cut really crappy and stuff like that...major PITA) My paper towels are going to have been soaking for 24 hours when I take on the pistons today
Old 03-19-2005, 04:01 PM

Those pics sure look familiar. My brother is doing a HG replacement on his '90 Runner and I just got back from helping him install and torque one of the heads down. He missplaced one of the headbolt washers so he decided to finish it some other time.

I'm sure glad I have 22RE's because those V6's sure are a PITA to work on.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, they also look quite familiar to the runner getting rebuilt in the next garage bay over (1990 v6). Once they're out of the truck the V6 is very simple to work on, but in the cramped engine bay it is definately a PITA...but I like my V6 The lower intake manifold is already at Piston Services getting ultrasonic cleaning so I'm tearing into the upper manifold to get it cleaned. Here's some pics of todays work...will post after pics once I clean out the oven cleaner (recomended by the guys at piston services as a good carbon/oil crap remover. But it will turn the aluminum black)
Inside of throttle body part of intake with cleaner in it

intake with cleaner in it

throttle body part with cleaner

EGR Below

Cold Start Injector (Don't know how it still injects )

Last edited by Silver_Truck; 03-19-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Morphine: Here's pics of the freeze plugs. Theres 3 in each bank, 3 in the valley, 2 in the back of the block, 3 in the back of each head, and at least one in the front of each head (rear part of timing cover is on so I can't tell if there's more)
Side of cylinder bank

Rear of head

Front of head

In the valley
Old 03-19-2005, 05:21 PM

I was actually surprised to see how small the 3.0 is once the heads and intake are off. Yup, oven cleaner works great. Used it on my intake when I converted over to EFI. Letting it soak too long will definitely turn the aluminum black.

Are you replacing the all the copper crush rings/gaskets for the fuel system too? I know NWOR in your neck of the woods has a complete kit but I want to go there as a last resort and the Toy dealer probably wants way too much for all of 'em.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

I've only had good experiences with Nwor so far and the guys there seem to be pretty cool, I've heard lots of positives and quite a few negatives too but I'll reserve further judgement until I buy something more then $150 from there (most likely will be my headers) anyways they closed their retail store here and now just have the warehouse along with the new warehouse in one of the industrial parks up here so it kind of sucks to have to pay for shipping to have something sent about 5 miles. But I got mine at the dealer for just like $10 for all of them in the fuel system. Ya the motor is actually pretty compact, its easy to see how guys drop in 350s without much trouble. Here's pics of the manifold after cleaning, it goes to be ultrasonic cleaned tomorrow (they wanted the big chunks of carbon off first so my manifolds didn't schit in their tank too much)

Last edited by Silver_Truck; 03-19-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:33 AM

Damn! The amount of build up in the 3.0's intake never ceases to amaze me. Nice job cleaning it.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice job cleaning Silver. Do you have 400,000 miles on those pistons and rings?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know about the pistons, I can check with my dad (he had the truck then) but I assume they are new when the rings were replaced roughly 80k ago, same with timing belt, freeze plugs, and a couple other little things...mt goat-Do you have pics of your truck? From what I see in your sig thats pretty much exactly how I want my truck to turn out.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Goal for today was to get in my new front driveshafts...didn't happen what a PITA. Got them broken free from the diff but can't get the left one off the flange its just stuck...anyone got any advice? Here's pics
New toys to put in

Cv/brake/shock all that kind of stuff (suspension)

Quick Reply: Silver_truck's top head rebuild