Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I replace TRD with a magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw I have the stainless magnaflow. Is your trd pipe stainless? I wanted Stainless pipes too but I have the reg. factory pipe and wanted to match.Just wondering?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by MY024runner
btw I have the stainless magnaflow. Is your trd pipe stainless? I wanted Stainless pipes too but I have the reg. factory pipe and wanted to match.Just wondering?
the pipes are stainless. The only time it sounds good is at very low speeds at around 1800 rpms or so. Other than that, it is pretty quite, even when you step on the gas. I did a search. The only muffler shop on reseda is magic muffler.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:14 AM

i was looking at 4" round mufflers at magnaflow's site and i have a question for y'all....

do i want a muffler with a 2.5" core or a 2" core???

both mufflers are stainless steel, with 2.25" inlets an outlets, and 14" long. i would imagine that the core means the diameter of the mesh piping that runs through the middle. by having a smaller core diameter does that force more exhaust into the fiberglass? and does that make the exhaust note louder, quiter or deeper etc..... and what about back pressure???

Ok so thats like ten questions any exhaust guru's know what is ideal, should i try emailing a rep from magnaflow?

thanks ahead
Old 05-07-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sick4runner
i was looking at 4" round mufflers at magnaflow's site and i have a question for y'all....

do i want a muffler with a 2.5" core or a 2" core???

both mufflers are stainless steel, with 2.25" inlets an outlets, and 14" long. i would imagine that the core means the diameter of the mesh piping that runs through the middle. by having a smaller core diameter does that force more exhaust into the fiberglass? and does that make the exhaust note louder, quiter or deeper etc..... and what about back pressure???

Ok so thats like ten questions any exhaust guru's know what is ideal, should i try emailing a rep from magnaflow?

thanks ahead
i thought that if the outlet/inlet, was 2.5 or whatever. it would be the same. I know for some single inlet/ dual outlets, the outlet pipe is smaller. On my TRD, it is 2.5 in/ 2.25 out. From talking with a guy at a muffler store, he said this was the most efficient design. I found a shop in Burbank that is gonna do my install. He had to order it though but he matched the internet prices and seems like an intelligent and honest guy. I get it installed tuesday with a a stainless magnaflow tip. I can't believe that I paid for the TRD system :pat: . All i got out of it was stainless pipes. The tip sucks, but everyone knows that...now. Why would they use stainless for everything but the tip? I might just send the tip to TRD and ask em why they advertise it as a stainless system. Would anyone be interested in buying a TRD muffler? IT's too quiet for me. OR maybe I should keep it just incase when I turn into an old fart who wants a quiet ride.-sorry, that doesn't really answer your question does it.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:35 PM

anthraciterunner let me know how you like the magnaflow.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks ahead
I do believe you are looking at the "rice style" of Magnaflows lke you "hear" on import tuner cars.

The correct muffler to get is listed on my exhaust site, and they are not round.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MY024runner
anthraciterunner let me know how you like the magnaflow.
Will do. I looked up california muffler and gave them a call. They are expensive so if you ever need work done, don't go there. Also, king muffler said they wouldn't do stainless piping. The place I found can do mandrel bends and ss pipes too. I will let you know the quality of work when it is done incase you ever need to replace your system. I'll take pics of the tip if I can and if I can figure it out, I'll get a clip made. Thanks for the suggestions MY024runner and I will definately let you know how it turns out. He ordered both the 14" and 18" so I could test and choose. Does yours rumble at idle? What about when you gas it?
Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by anthraciterunner
Will do. I looked up california muffler and gave them a call. They are expensive so if you ever need work done, don't go there. Also, king muffler said they wouldn't do stainless piping. The place I found can do mandrel bends and ss pipes too. I will let you know the quality of work when it is done incase you ever need to replace your system. I'll take pics of the tip if I can and if I can figure it out, I'll get a clip made. Thanks for the suggestions MY024runner and I will definately let you know how it turns out. He ordered both the 14" and 18" so I could test and choose. Does yours rumble at idle? What about when you gas it?
Thats what we all are here to do help each other, no problem. When I warm up and on park yeah I guess i could hear a rumble. I especially hear it on acceleration on street.but on the freeway its pretty quiet. I like the sound. good luck on your muffler and keep me posted.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:50 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Corey
I do believe you are looking at the "rice style" of Magnaflows lke you "hear" on import tuner cars.

The correct muffler to get is listed on my exhaust site, and they are not round.

oh gosh no! i am not trying to get the rice style fart can that sits out the back! i was just thinking that since my current muffler is round that a new muffler would fit best in the stock location if it was round also. And i do not want it to be too loud, i just want a nice deep sounding muffler. ( I was reading through the Magnaflow FAQ section and they said that a round or an oval muffler sound exactly the same, the only difference for sound is volume)

My confusion was about the core diameter, they listed two different sizes; 2.5" or 2", the part #'s are 14415 and 14445. I assume that the core diameter means the size of the vented pipe that runs down the middle of the inside of the muffler. does anybody know what size is best? There is no core dia. listed for anthracite's....

anthraciterunner:
I am wondering what size you will decide upon, the 18" or the 14". I compared the volumes of your 5"X8" oval to the volumes of a 4" round and a 6" round. the 6" is closer to the 5"X8" but since you have a V6 and i have a 4 banger i figure that the 4" round is better suited to my needs. But I am hoping to gauge the length by your judgment. let us know! thanks a bunch!
Old 05-08-2004, 03:33 AM

oh gosh no! i am not trying to get the rice style fart can that sits out the back! i was just thinking that since my current muffler is round that a new muffler would fit best in the stock location if it was round also. And i do not want it to be too loud, i just want a nice deep sounding muffler. ( I was reading through the Magnaflow FAQ section and they said that a round or an oval muffler sound exactly the same, the only difference for sound is volume)

My confusion was about the core diameter, they listed two different sizes; 2.5" or 2", the part #'s are 14415 and 14445. I assume that the core diameter means the size of the vented pipe that runs down the middle of the inside of the muffler. does anybody know what size is best? There is no core dia. listed for anthracite's....

anthraciterunner:
I am wondering what size you will decide upon, the 18" or the 14". I compared the volumes of your 5"X8" oval to the volumes of a 4" round and a 6" round. the 6" is closer to the 5"X8" but since you have a V6 and i have a 4 banger i figure that the 4" round is better suited to my needs. But I am hoping to gauge the length by your judgment. let us know! thanks a bunch!
If you have a 4banger and don't want something too loud, go for the biggest size that you can fit under there. i was told by the place that I am having mine installed at that the same muffler on a 4 cylinder would actually be a lot louder. Again, this is what the muffler guy said and he seemed he knew what he was talking about. But then again, what do I know. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:52 PM

one word... Flowmaster
Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 PM

Got my muffler and tip replaced today. Both parts by magnaflow. I decided to go with the 14" and it sounds awesome. They let me listen to both and the 18" was just a little louder than the TRD (in the cab). I went with the louder one because it was not as obtrusive as I thought it would be inside and it is actually quite pleasant. The sound is most apparent between 1500-1900 and it is a low, deep growl. I was told it would mellow out a little as the glass loosens up inside the muffler. The tip was a double wall, 3" diameter outlet/ 2.5" inlet/ 7.5" long. If anyone wants to hear a clip, let me know how to do it. ( yeah, i'm a litle ignorant in that department). I have a canon digital camera I can use to take the clip.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Just got a Magnaflow 18" 5x8 Installed today. Sounds kinda wierd. At low rpms it still kinda drones.. =/
Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM

I have a 24" body Magnaflow in my truck and I love it. From what i've read in this and other forums is that guys who get the shorter mufflers end up changing them because they are too loud and drone too much.

The 24" is what you should have gone with.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
Just got a Magnaflow 18" 5x8 Installed today. Sounds kinda wierd. At low rpms it still kinda drones.. =/
At idle I'm good with my 18".
When I start moving and I'm at the lower RPMS you can hear the growl.

Loving it