Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

short life of keyless remote battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 08:33 AM
96SR5Limited

short life of keyless remote battery

less than a month ago... when i tried to lock my 4runner with the keyless remote... it wouldn't work and the alarm just went off for no reason... for bout 10 mins.. finally it died.... i was like what the hell... and i try the remote and its dead it doesn't light up when i press it... so i say.. it must be the remote battery is dead... so i just lock it for afew days... with the key so i get a battery replace it.... and it works fine... now... it has been working fine... yesterday... i go to unlock it... it unlocks it and the alarm goes off for 5 mins for no reason it won't shut up i finally put the key in the ignition for the 2nd time... and it shuts the alarm off.... and now again the keyless remote doesn't show the red light when a button is pressed so i guess the battery is dead again... but in that short of a time ive had the new battery for no longer than a month and a half. ne ideas ????
Old 02-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Battery..

If you keep your keys in your pocket try not doing so for a couple of days and see if the battery lasts longer.

I had the same problem a few years ago and complained to the alarm company. They explained that it was how I was carrying the remote.

Turns out that when you keep your keys in your pocket the keys will activate the remote. This can happen when you sit down, or even while you are walking if your keys bunch up in your front pocket or if you have other things in the pocket with the remote.

What happend in my case is when I sat down the keys activated the remote. As I was in a building and too far from my truck there was no way of knowing the remote was always on and bringing down the battery.

Long story short, keep an effort to carry your keys loosly for a couple of days and see if the battery is ok. If it isn't then I would take it back and explain your problem. Make sure you tell them that you know the remote is not being activated by your keys and draining the battery.

Good luck!
Dave