Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Selling the 4Runner to import a Hilux Surf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Must be something I'm missing here. What exactly do you all think is so different about the Surf? I looked really closely at the pics - and I see a 4Runner. 4Runners grow on trees, why do you want to import another one? If it's the diesel you want, why not just bring in the engine (if you live in a state where that's allowed?) Or just order some Hilux Surf badges from an Australian wrecking yard?....

Now, the quad cab rig, that would be worth importing. It's different.
I'm in the same boat. Other than the oddity factor of the right hand drive, any other differences seem like you could do to any US version with the $ it would cost to get a Hilux over here. Add the hassle factor of all the importation regs and I think I'd be out hunting for badges and stickers instead.
The quad cab pickup with left hand drive though...ahh, that makes me drool! We need to find somebody with connections to head down south and pick up 5-6 of those beauties. Then you get factory solid axle, 4 doors, diesel if you want it and something that really is different.
I've searched around the net for them and in Chile they sell for around $3500 (higher or lower depending on condition). Seems like that could make for some relatively cheap shipping too from a Chilean port to a one in California. Just a quick trip up the coast.
I can dream can't I? I'd ditch my '85 and '93 4Runners in the blink of an eye if I could get one of them!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
There is someone in the Classifieds (rather - WAS) who had the rear cab half and doors and interior bits he wanted to sell. He might still have them. I thought long and hard about that. But then I'd have to repaint....
Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
There is someone in the Classifieds (rather - WAS) who had the rear cab half and doors and interior bits he wanted to sell. He might still have them. I thought long and hard about that. But then I'd have to repaint....
Was that the one Budbuilt had? It looked pretty well abused and rotted out.
Since I live in the middle of nowhere, trust me it's on the map, but it's the middle of nowhere, it makes importing something that much more difficult. After the once upon a time hassle of having to do a 500 mile round trip drive to the Mexican Consulate in Denver after messing up paperwork coming back out of Mexico once, I would prefer to minimize any potential importing hassle. That's why I want somebody else to do it and then ride their shirttails LOL!
I figure if somebody did it and picked up enough vehicles and was given a $500-700 fee on top of the vehicle total cost they might even be able to get theirs for "free".
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

In Europe you can get all those vehicles in regular left hand drive version. Just something to think about. I noticed that used trucks are not that expensive over there.