Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SCORE! Got a supercharger for $325!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is one on ebay that is starting at .99cents. Who knows someone might get a deal on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/toyot...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

That SC i posted above is ending in a few hours and is still only $550. Someone could still get a deal.

Now i hate to rub in my deal (ok, i don't mind it at all). But i just got my SC in today and here are some pics:

It lokss great, the packaging was a little messed up but everything seem to have got here is great condition! Only problem is one bolt that got messed up but otherwise i can't see anything wrong, take a look and see if you can.

So now that i have it i need to see how much rebuilding there is to be done. Anyone know how to check one of these?

When i spin it, it feels smooth and there is no give in the pulley. And it sounds good as far as i can tell, it makes a slight Whoomp, whoomp sound is the best i can describe it when i spin it and it does makes sucktion/pressure.

So before i pull it apart anyone know what it is supposed to sound/feel like when you spin it by hand? Does it look like everything is there (i am going to replace all the hoses/belts).

At this point it looks like it is pretty much ready to go, and the nose bearing is all that needs to be done (even though it doesn't look like it i am going to do that for sure)

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-27-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal ace, can't wait to see it all installed
Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, here is another one that might go cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110256632969

1st gen SC's seem to suddenly be selling a lot more.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Tex, with all the interest you have generated, now would be the worst time to buy one on ebay!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blarchitect
Tex, with all the interest you have generated, now would be the worst time to buy one on ebay!
LOL, probibly true!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM

what a great deal, can't wait to see everything together and tuned up!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
what a great deal, can't wait to see everything together and tuned up!
Me too! I now just have to figure out what else i am going to get/install while i am doing this.

I know i am going to get the URD 7th but after that i am pretty lost. What wideband, gauges, computers, OBDII reader ect to get.

I have been doing so much reading that it is all a bunch of hog wash now lol

I might just have to make a thread on it
Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd probably get this for the wideband:

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518542

This for the OBDII scanner:

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=840100000

Sometimes you see them used on the forums too. I got my BR-3 scan tool used
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

I saw that and was thinking of getting that, and still mighgt. But then i saw for $75 cheaper i can get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-U...QQcmdZViewItem

It is a brand name and pennys are very inportant at this point. Plus i did some reading and it looks like it is a fairly nice unit. But i don't know if i will be able to get one before they are sold out, if not then URD gets another sell.

As for the OBDII scanner, i did some reading and found this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/engi...ii-device.html

And a few other simular things around the net.

So i think i am going to get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:us

The uint looks like it is standard but the software that it comes with is not any good. But that is easy to fix with some free software or i could later pay for some good stuff.

So, any comments?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

And now to add to my good luck i just scored a set of headers for $70!! Brand new, usually sell for $300!

I figure for that price i will take a chance with them, have to be better than the stock manofold and if they leak then i am not out much and can afford to have them fixed.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

You are quite the thrifty shopper Ace.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You are quite the thrifty shopper Ace.
Yes indeed, when cash is tight you learn to shop around for the deals, otherwise you don't get anything after buying gas!

Now to start pieceing together the rest of this SC install so i can get it up and running!

What do people think about oil coolers? The place i got the headers from has an oil cooler for $100 that i could get the shipping combined on. With adding the Supercharger i don't know if this might be good insurance or totally unneeded? Remember i live in Texas where the avarge temp is 100+ degrees and 75%+ humidity (humidity really is that high most of the time).
Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM

What type of headers are those? Great deal Ace!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy
What type of headers are those? Great deal Ace!
Yeah i am happy that is for sure.

They are RX Racing is what i am told, though i think that is a fancy name for "knock off of some other header". But as i said, for that price as long as they fit i really don't care if they are the best headers made.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Hey Ace,

Nice Deal,....What are You going to do for Pistons?

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod
Hey Ace,

Nice Deal,....What are You going to do for Pistons?

Thanks, Kiwi
LOL, i actually had thought about doing that but have since decided to leave the bottom end totally alone, just don't want to get into that.

For now other then adjusting the vales the only thing i am thinking of upgrading inside the engine is possibly the valve Springs. I have heard they are the weak link on the 5vz when you start boosting it. I plan on running no more then 9-10 psi tops (2.2 pully, MAYBE 2.1) so i don't think i really need to beef up the rest of the engine too much. Or am i wrong?

Anyone know what the "weak links" are on the 5vz? and what would have the greatest bang for the buck?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Hey Ace,

The 3.4, is not My motor, but I've boosted a few others in My time, and I've Always used Forged Pistons, or they would burn down, thru the ring lands.

I dont know enough about Your application, to tell You for sure, one way or the other,...But You need to make Sure,...so You dont have a Really bad Day.

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace

What do people think about oil coolers? The place i got the headers from has an oil cooler for $100 that i could get the shipping combined on. With adding the Supercharger i don't know if this might be good insurance or totally unneeded? Remember i live in Texas where the avarge temp is 100+ degrees and 75%+ humidity (humidity really is that high most of the time).
You talking about an engine oil cooler? If so, yes I installed one after I installed an oil temp gauge and found my oil temps as high as 260 F. I'm running about 225 F on oil temps now with a cooler, so yes the oil gets hot for sure. I also run full synthetic oil.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod
Hey Ace,

The 3.4, is not My motor, but I've boosted a few others in My time, and I've Always used Forged Pistons, or they would burn down, thru the ring lands.

I dont know enough about Your application, to tell You for sure, one way or the other,...But You need to make Sure,...so You dont have a Really bad Day.

Thanks, Kiwi
Well the 5vzfe was actually designed to be boosted but just didn't come with it from the factory. And tons of people run the TRD supercharger without any of the mod i am doing and it works fine.

I just want to do it right and still have all the relibilty i have with it NA. That and pistons, rings ect run about $3000 just for that full setup. Way out of my price range, that is why i decided to stay out of the bottom end and just work with the top.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You talking about an engine oil cooler? If so, yes I installed one after I installed an oil temp gauge and found my oil temps as high as 260 F. I'm running about 225 F on oil temps now with a cooler, so yes the oil gets hot for sure. I also run full synthetic oil.
Yep, an egine oil cooler, already and a tranny cooler. I think i might pick that up then.

Where did you mount yours? that is something i was thinking about and could not come up with a good place for it except in front of the radiator but the tranny cooler is already there....

Quick Reply: SCORE! Got a supercharger for $325!!