Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SC it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC it?

i have a question should i sc my 97 toyota tacoma 3.4 it has 160,000 miles but it runs great and never had a problem with the motor, or should i just rebuild the engine and tranny and then sc it? were can i find a place in arizona that could rebuild my enigine?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

fyi, im selling a brand new s/c
Old 01-26-2005, 07:10 AM

Dont SC unless you are willing to go all the way into fuel mods and transmission valve upgrade. And even then it is not 100% sure that it will a worry free set up. But then again that is my opinion. I rather spend money on quality maintainance I have also learned that original parts are always your best bet.

Good luck either way!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastTacoma
i have a question should i sc my 97 toyota tacoma 3.4 it has 160,000 miles but it runs great and never had a problem with the motor, or should i just rebuild the engine and tranny and then sc it? were can i find a place in arizona that could rebuild my enigine?
I just did my 96 4Runner at ~130k - I love it.

I did it with out the fuel mods (i.e., injectors and fuel pump) but I'm running a piggyback computer which let me crank up the fuel delivery (and reduce the timing) far enough to make things happy.

I would _NOT_ recommend just dropping an S/C into the truck without some sort of a fuel/timing controller, and you MAY have to install a larger fuel pump (the classic "Walbro"), and possibly larger injectors.

Be SURE to at LEAST add an A/FR meter so you know what's happening in terms of the engine leaning out on the top end. An EGT and Fuel Pressure meter is handy as well, and of course a boost gauge is a lot of fun.

It looks like you're new here (welcome!) but there's a lot of info on the board about stuff like this. You may want to search around a bit.

Also, reading ALL of this site can be really helpful. In particular:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
http://www.gadgetonline.com/fuel.htm

Have fun!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Good day,

I say go for the Supercharger, I have 130K on my Supercharged 4Runner and love it.

For my application, when I was running with only the Supercharger and the Kenne Bell Boost A Pump I had zero fuel delivery problems. Others seem to have lots of trouble with AFR.

My current set up includes the smaller Supercharger Pulley and some electronics to help with spark knock and fuel delivery. I do NOT have the larger injectors or fuel pump.

I would say the most important add on for the supercharger kit is a wide-band Air Fuel meter. The are relatively inexpensive and can help you understand a lot regarding the performance of your engine. My WebPages detail a lot of information regarding this topic.

You can check out the details of what I am doing on my WebPages http://N8RWS.COM

Good luck